Giroux Suspended For A Game

Both CBC and Bob McKenzie reporting Claude Giroux has been suspended for one game.

I will have the official Shanahan video when available.

added 3:19pm, Here’s the video…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: claude+giroux

Comments

Should’ve bashed his head into the glass twice after the game… worked for me.

Posted by Shea Weber from Nashville on 05/07/12 at 05:25 PM ET

one game is fair.. more importantly he is now on the list of offenders.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/07/12 at 05:27 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Should’ve bashed his head into the glass twice after the game… worked for me.

Posted by Shea Weber from Nashville on 05/07/12 at 03:25 PM ET

I was about to say that the Weber punchline is played out but the attention to detail here is just fantastic, hahah

Posted by Zaze on 05/07/12 at 05:29 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Should’ve bashed his head into the glass twice after the game… worked for me.

Posted by Shea Weber from Nashville on 05/07/12 at 03:25 PM ET

Yes, this was very amusing. Too bad for Philly’s poster boy. After watching the first series I thought to myself….. here’s a natural leader. One who can instill confidence and production in his team. Guess I just needed to see him when his team was behind in a round.

Shannahan still has a way to go to redeem himself to me, but this was certainly a step in the right direction.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/07/12 at 05:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I agree with g2l.  Most important part is that the next time Giroux does this, he’s then a repeat offender.  That is the biggest failure with when the NHL let Weber off scot-free.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/12 at 05:47 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

That’s a load of BS Shanny. “Head does not move significantly”, no but his whole body twists open after he tries to extend his arm to impede Girourx’s check and misses leaving himself exposed wide-open and hunched over as Grioux tries to rub him out of the play. But I guess you missed that in looking at the video. And what does the rest of the shift have to do with it? I guess the wheel just turned up bad for Giroux in this case.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/07/12 at 05:50 PM ET

One game isnt enough for this.  That was not a hockey play, and he was pretty clearly looking to go after someone after he got hit in front of the bench.

Posted by jwad on 05/07/12 at 06:18 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

And before I get backlash, where’s Shanny’s explanation on why Ovechkin isn’t suspended when he left his feet to make contact with a player’s head and is a repeat offender?

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/07/12 at 06:18 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

And what does the rest of the shift have to do with it?

It shows intent.  Giroux was throwing a tantrum the entire shift and was looking to take it out on someone.  He was mad and he intentionally hit Zubrus in the head.  It was like a 5 year old throwing a fit and smashing one of his toys. It was embarassing, really.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/07/12 at 06:18 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by jwad on 05/07/12 at 04:18 PM ET

He wasn’t upset at the check. Brodeur played the puck in the trapezoid nullifying about the only pressure the Flyers had all night and that’s what he was complaining about, not the check. That’s what Shanny explains incorrectly. Every Flyer on the ice was yelling at the officials over that.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/07/12 at 06:20 PM ET

To me, this looks alot like the hit Brendan Smith got 8 games for in the pre season, except this one, the puck was much farther away, and Giroux had more intent to injure.

Posted by jwad on 05/07/12 at 06:22 PM ET

So, even if that is true, that hit was very late.  He had to know that, cause he slashed at his stick way after the puck was gone, and then went for the hit.

Posted by jwad on 05/07/12 at 06:26 PM ET

This hit isn’t as bad as Kesla’s, but that doesn’t excuse Giroux. How these two hits are both one game is beyond me, but I have stopped trying to see comparable hits and number of games. Repeat offender means squat, you can be a repeat offender and never get a game more than your previous suspension. It is the NHLs way of putting people of double secret probation or Santa’s naughty list.

This comes down once again to the NHL making an example of someone if they show-up the refs. Giroux it seems made a premeditated hit because he was frustrated the refs missed Brodeur’s playing of the puck outside of the NHL’s “Brodeur Cage”. If any one should be pissed it is Bobby Clarke who wanted this rule just so that Broduer couldn’t play the puck.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/07/12 at 06:53 PM ET

This hit isn’t as bad as Kesla’s,

I’m not sure I agree.  Klesla needed to let up after he lost the fight for position, but the puck was there, and it was not nearly as premeditated as Giroux’s hit.

But i agree with you about the inconsistency overall.  I’m sure the NHLPA is queuing up all these videos of one game suspensions in the playoffs, and comparable hits with vastly differing punishment for the Torres appeal.

Posted by jwad on 05/07/12 at 07:31 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

More inconsistency from “Player Safety”

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/12 at 07:32 PM ET

Posted by phillyd from New Jersey on 05/07/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Ovechkin was protecting himself from getting crushed late. Nobody has been suspended for that in league history, as far as I know. Guys have elbowed other guys in that situation on multiple occasions this season and escaped punishment.

Giroux decided it was a good idea to put a shoulder into some guy’s head because he was there. Last time Ovechkin did that, he got 3 games, not 1.

Doesn’t matter, anyway, that series is over.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/07/12 at 07:33 PM ET

I never would have predicted this. League discipline is all over the lot.  Ovechkin has a much worse history than Giroux but in his case nothing.

Posted by 13 user names on 05/07/12 at 08:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

one game is fair.. more importantly he is now on the list of offenders.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/07/12 at 03:27 PM ET

Weber was put “on notice” by Shanahan in October 2011 for his incident at that time.  How did that work out when he grabbed Zetterberg’s head with both hands and rammed it twice into the boards with enough force to crack his helmet?

He was given a fine equivalent to me of about $30.  Weber is still no worse than on notice.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/07/12 at 09:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

He was given a fine equivalent to me of about $30.

Let me see if I can figure out the formula… Weber makes millions and fined $2500, you would pay $30 for your equivalent, so that means you’re a…. hundredaire.  Congratulations. cheese

Posted by calquake on 05/07/12 at 10:31 PM ET

I am surprised a suspension was imposed. Seems like a fair call.

Posted by timbits on 05/07/12 at 11:43 PM ET

You’re great at math.

Posted by Garth on 05/08/12 at 12:48 AM ET

This is the reason why Giroux lost his cool and destoryed Zubrus. Shanban should resign before he totally loses his reputation and his accomphishments as a player.

one game is fair.. more importantly he is now on the list of offenders.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/07/12 at 03:27 PM ET

Hey retard, pens roster are full of headhunters lets name a few, Neal, Cook, Malkin etc…

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/08/12 at 01:35 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/07/12 at 11:35 PM ET

His feet are in the anti-Brodeur trapezoid. Where’s the beef?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/08/12 at 02:20 AM ET

His feet are in the anti-Brodeur trapezoid. Where’s the beef?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/08/12 at 12:20 AM ET

I think Giroux the deserved suspension. You can’t defend him away. He played with a distinct lack of maturity and he will learn from it.

Brodeur played the puck outside the trapezoid. CSNPhilly has a video of it. There are pictures of it all over the place. My beef is with shanny. He said in the video showed Giroux entire shift but doesnt show 10-15 seconds before where the Brodeur was clearly outside trapezoid inwhich cause Giroux’s reaction.

This is the problem is with shannban i have, if you are going to show entire video of the suspend player shift show all of it. It includes what let up to the hit and questionable hit at the end. don’t cut out 10-15 seconds of a mistake your refs made.

He needs stop standing behind a green screen with powerpoint slides explaining the hit.  He makes himself look more stupid saying “He has not be fine or suspended previously in his 4 yr NHL carer (cue power point slides) He’s not a repeat offender, he’s suspended for one game!”

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/08/12 at 03:13 AM ET

When the New CBA is in place, we will have appeals on suspensions. This will be one of Donald Fehr’s bullet points in new CBA and I can’t have wait for Gary,Bill and Shanny throw a fit in the room Fehr brings this up to them.

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/08/12 at 03:20 AM ET

Your point is what, exactly? If Giroux’s motive for throwing a headshot on Zubrus is that Brodeur played the puck in the trapezoid, well, that’s the least legitimate reason for intentionally breaking rule 48 anyone could possibly imagine. “I thought we’d win if the other guy was on IR” is a better excuse than “The goaltender played the puck an inch away from where he is supposed to so I clobbered some other guy in the jaw.” The latter excuse makes Claude Giroux look like a sociopath who should be tossed from the sport for being dangerously illogical.

Shanahan’s explanation at least gives him the benefit of having behaved like a human being, instead of an alien.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/08/12 at 06:00 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/08/12 at 04:00 AM ET

I think the thing is Shanahan states Giroux is upset with the hit he received so he’s going to go off and hit someone. He wasn’t at all, in fact, he doesn’t get upset until well after that check. To me, that shows a complete lack of investigation done on the part of him and I think that is what is starting to get fans infuriated with his logic. Like others have said here and elsewhere, once he let Weber go for doing stuff at the end of the game, he lost credibility and control this playoffs with any decisions he made from there on out.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/08/12 at 09:27 AM ET