Gillis Fined

via TSN,

Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has been fined an undisclosed amount for his comments regarding the officiating prior to Game 7 with the Chicago Blackhawks.

After the Canucks lost three straight games to the Blackahwks to even their series, Gillis addressed the media to outline his isuues with the disparity in penalty calls in the series.

“I’m not sure how you explain that discrepancy, but we’re going to be very hard-pressed to win hockey games if throughout the entire series, when the score is tight, they get 75 per cent more power plays than we do,” Gillis said Monday. “That’s the facts we are facing.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+gillis

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I still think that in instances like this, the team should also find themselves down a man to start their next game.  Mouthing off to the refs can get you an unsportsmanlike penalty; mouthing off to the press should carry the same charge (plus the fine).

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/27/11 at 05:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I would agree if it were his opinions J.J… but all he did was state some stats.  He could have been more diplomatic in his tone but I couldn’t see a player being given an unsportsmanlike for saying “You’ve given us twice as many penalties, wtf”

I’m on the fence with this one.  Kenny wasn’t too far off either then in the fact he said his team will have to work to overcome the officiating and the new enforcement of the rules. But he aslo stated he didn’t know how you went from 9 PIMs average to 17.5PIMS average..  like I said, subtle differences, let’em keep their players though.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/27/11 at 06:03 PM ET

The fine just shows what the NHL has become.  If it isn’t bad enough that the league is fixed, they also try to gag any criticism.

Posted by Dan on 04/27/11 at 07:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

He knew he would get fined. He called the league office and gave them a heads up before he spoke to the press. There is nothing in the rule book that permits the punishment that JJ advocates. I think Gillis made a shrewd move. He told the truth, statistically speaking, deflected some attention from his players and it paid off; Penalty count last night: VAN2 CHI 3. A wise use of team funds if you ask me.

When facing blatant NHL corruption, calling the league out in the press is the only way to fight back.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/11 at 08:26 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

The things he said were pretty straight forward and innocuous.  He could have just been reading from the stat sheet “they had 10 penalties. We had 2” matter-of-fact-ly.  Getting kind of ridiculous.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/11 at 08:59 PM ET

Of course there isn’t, I think JJ is suggesting that there SHOULD be.

but all he did was state some stats.
He told the truth, statistically speaking

Did everyone eat a retard sandwich today?  Are we really pretending that all he did was state facts?

The FIRST thing he said after saying that it was the Canucks’ best game was “I felt that if it was a level playing field we would’ve won the game”.  Then later he said “If we play the same tomorrow and it’s a level playing field we’ll win the game”.

That’s truth?  That’s a stat?

“When you break down the video there are some extraordinary plays to explain”.

I’m not a statistician, but I don’t think that “extraordinary” is any kind of fact or figure.

Then of course he lied about the “facts” of the hit on Bieksa.

But yeah, only truth and facts and stats, right guys?

How about the stat that Vancouver was one of the most penalized teams in the league and Chicago was one of the least.

He accused the refs of having a bias.

That’s not truth and not a fact unless he can prove it and it’s certainly not “innocuous” at all.

Posted by Garth on 04/27/11 at 09:35 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I watched a good deal of this series, as a relatively impartial observer (though, I admit, I wanted to see the Hawks pull of the comeback). I thought the ‘nucks were the ones getting away with things out there myself.

Any disparity aside, I think the ‘nucks got off pretty easy. It’s not that the refs were out to get them, it’s that they can only let so much slide until it’s a farce.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 04/28/11 at 12:54 AM ET

Navarath's avatar

Did he ever say the reason for the disparity in the powerplays?  i think he even says, I don’t know the reason for this, but if this keeps occuring we aren’t going to win.  The reason could easily be, his team was not being disciplined.  I thought he was pretty careful not to blame the refs, and he still got fined.

Posted by Navarath on 04/28/11 at 08:42 AM ET