GIF- That’s A Match Penalty For Evgeni Malkin

added 9:45pm, another angle below.

added 10:02pm, video below...

added 8:22am on 2/12/19,

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+malkin

Comments

I love getting punched in the back of the head. I always turn around and say, “thanks brah. can we get a beer later?”

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/12/19 at 12:47 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Match penalty plus one or two more game(s) should cover it. Make it two that gets reduced to one on appeal.

He did put up with Raffl’s cross check in the numbers plus a cheap shot punch to the back of the neck below the helmet. Which should get Raffl a one game suspension.

The brain doesn’t distinguish between an illegal punch to the back of the head or a stick swing to the helmet. Brain damage is done either way. So I don’t fault either player or either set of fans for being mad about the conduct on both sides. Malkin wasn’t the aggressor—Raffl was.

Posted by d ca on 02/12/19 at 12:53 AM ET

Posted by d ca on 02/12/19 at 12:53 AM ET

If Raffi doesn’t punch Malkin in the back of the head then none of this happens…...and since when is punching to the back of the head a “hockey skill” coaches teach?

Personally, I don’t blame Malkin for anything. but to each their own opinion I guess.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/12/19 at 01:31 AM ET

d ca's avatar

^^^
can’t swing your stick like that period.  I don’t see how anyone that ever played or watched a game can think otherwise so please enlighten me.

Google Bryan Berard and eye if you are too young to know why. This wouldn’t have been a freak accident.

I said Raffi deserves a suspension, but so does Malkin. I said both players inflicted brain damage to the other. Yes, Malkin making contact with his stick to the opponent’s helmet will cause that. The only question is the extent of the damage.

Posted by d ca on 02/12/19 at 02:41 AM ET

Agree that had Raffl not punched Malkin in the back of the head there would have been no retaliatory stick swing, but what happened happened. Would be fine with 3 games for Malkin (reduced to 2 after appeal) and 1 for Raffl.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 07:39 AM ET

I can’t believe the comments I’m reading. You can’t swing your stick like that. Those little punches to the head and and little crosschecks happen 100 times every game, it’s hockey for God’s sake.
Malkin and Raffi are both lucky that the stick wasn’t a bit lower and got Raffi in the mouth, he would have had no front teeth left.
Malkin is a dirty player, who like a child can’t control his emotions.
Will he be suspended, NO, should he be YES
That kind of play is unacceptable.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 08:11 AM ET

I don’t think anyone is saying Malkin shouldn’t be disciplined, but your perception and accepting of random punches to the head being “hockey for gods sake” is pretty troubling.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 08:23 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Malkin will have a hearing today with DoPS.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 08:23 AM ET

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 08:23 AM ET

No it’s not troubling, it’s a physical sport that’s been played this way for over a 100 years. I’m being a realist. Those types of punches get called for a 2 minute roughing penalty when they are caught. That doesn’t happen every time. So you can either skate away or retaliate. Problem is usually when a guy retaliates it’s with a punch like a man, not swinging your stick like you’re in Slap Shot.
And yeah, I accept that those types of punches and crosschecks happen, I don’t live in a la-la land.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 08:28 AM ET

Malkin will have a hearing today with DoPS.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 08:23 AM ET

Phone or in-person?

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 08:28 AM ET

Are you out of your f*cking mind?

Bullsh!t. Suckerpunching someone in the back of the head is NOT hockey.

Absolute, unmitigated BS.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/12/19 at 08:31 AM ET

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 08:28 AM ET

I’d love to hear your impassioned defense of Todd Bertuzzi’s handiwork on Steve Moore.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/12/19 at 08:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Phone or in-person?

Posted by George021

The tweet, which I added to this post, does not say.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 08:34 AM ET

Are you out of your f*cking mind?

Are you? Do you even watch hockey? This shit happens all the time, it does not warrant swinging a stick at someone’s face. Is that hockey? Because all I’m reading is very passionate defending of Malkin’s actions?
And if you want to bring Bertuzzi into this, then let’s follow the logic that seems to be prevalent here and say yeah, it was OK because he was reacting to what Moore did the game before. Remember he took out their captain?
Because apparently retaliating is OK based on the logic of so many people here.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 08:37 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Stu Grimson tweet,

Surprised you focus on the less dangerous act (the punch) @DamoSpin and not the stick infraction that was every bit as malicious as McSorley on Brashear (absent the injury).

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 09:04 AM ET

Paul's avatar

via Josh Yohe of The Athletic ($$$),

“I didn’t hit him in the face,” Malkin explained. “If I had touched him in the face, for sure, I would get suspended. It’s a high stick, but it’s not like I broke his face. I think I won’t get suspended.”

Malkin did acknowledge that he needs to keep his wits about him. From the day Sullivan took over as Penguins coach, precisely 38 months ago, the coach has done a masterful job of helping the team’s occasionally temperamental stars control their respective emotions.

For just a moment, Malkin lost control.

“It was a little bit dangerous,” Malkin admitted. “But it was nothing real bad, I didn’t think. It’s my fault, for sure. The refs thought it was dangerous. Next time, I need to play smarter.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 09:13 AM ET

Are you? Do you even watch hockey? This shit happens all the time

No, it doesn’t. If people were getting punched in the back of the head “all the time” then there would be a lot more players swinging sticks at said offenders heads. I’m not sure what year you think this is or what’s acceptable in the NHL, but it’s clear that you’re a little out of touch with where the game has evolved to in 2019.

For the record, swinging your stick at another players head is NEVER acceptable. Similar to punching another player in the back of the head. Pull that crap and you’re going to have to answer the bell unless the ref catches it and tosses you.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 09:16 AM ET

For just a moment, Malkin lost control.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/19 at 09:13 AM ET

Just WOW. Next time someone shoots at a person and misses, that should be their defense. I didn’t kill him, so it’s OK.
What a dick this guy is.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 09:16 AM ET

Geno should get at least a game for it.  Raffl should get a fine for punching a guy in the head.  The stick swing was worse than the punch to the back of the head.

BUT

I really hope that the league also reaches out to the officiating crew.  Geno doesn’t take that swing if the refs had blew the whistle for the crosscheck or punch to the head.  I am curious how the league feels about players losing the cool when players are getting mugged and the refs tuck their whistles away.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/12/19 at 09:19 AM ET

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 09:16 AM ET

You should re-read what I wrote, speaking of being out of touch. I never said it was acceptable I said it happens and it does. Does it normally get called for a roughing penalty, yes and it also gets missed a lot. And if you want to retaliate, do it like a man and punch him back, instead of using a club that’s in your hands.
What I took an issue with is the comments where people said that they don’t blame Malkin for swinging his stick like he did, because, you know, “Raffi started it”.
That’s childish logic.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 09:21 AM ET

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 09:21 AM ET

It happens, yes. It does NOT “happen all the time” like you previously stated. You can chastise Malkin for his action, but you cannot deny that the retaliation wouldn’t have happened had the correct call been made on the ice….or…..and this is out there so try to follow….if Raffl hadn’t punched him in the back of the head. If you’re going to be indignant about one discretion you can’t just brush off the original action that sparked it. Neither is acceptable, and to try to brush off a sucker punch to the back of the head as “it happens all the time, it’s part of the game” is beyond ignorant.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 09:39 AM ET

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 09:39 AM ET

I’m not brushing anything off. The point is that one infraction is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the other. And calls get missed, again, it happens, that does not justify trying to break someone’s face. Both got really lucky that by some dumb luck he didn’t hit him square in the face.

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 09:44 AM ET

Posted by George0211 on 02/12/19 at 09:44 AM ET

Yeah man totally, that stick could have taken out an eye or some teeth had it connected. Meanwhile the punch that actually connected to the back of Malkins head could cause irreversible brain damage. Not to mention the danger of actually knocking someone unconscious with a sucker punch to the back of the head would result in them falling (probably face first) onto the ice causing more damage.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/12/19 at 10:12 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Agree with everything George0211.

Heck, I was even going to make a same case about someone shooting someone and missing!!!

You’ve left me nothing to add.  :/

Posted by TreKronor on 02/12/19 at 10:50 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

shoulda woulda coulda but did he die?

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 02/12/19 at 12:22 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Wow.

Many of us on here have played or still play hockey (Paul, Cigar Nurse and a few others possibly Murray Chadwick). No, punching in the back of the head is not right and he should be disciplined for his action. But there is the unwritten rule between players not use the stick as a weapon towards the head or face. Yes, it happens, even more so in the last ten years.

I have had two thumbs broken, my left ulna (slashes) and a concussion for aggressively used sticks. I don’t care if you get punched in the back of the head, you do not retaliate with your stick to the opponents head. PERIOD! Drop your gloves or just punch him back. Either way you are going to get penalized (the reaction usually does).

The problem is also, if you didn’t see the whole game or the camera didn’t catch it, something else earlier on may have started this whole scenario. It happens every game.

BTW Geno has always been a dirty player.

“This is a man’s game.” Ken Holland

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 02/12/19 at 01:02 PM ET

I don’t play hockey and never had, but, someone who has please explain to me how the coach sets up the punching to the back of the head drill?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/13/19 at 07:03 PM ET