Getzlaf With A New Eight Year Extension

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed captain Ryan Getzlaf to an eight-year contract extension. The 2007 Stanley Cup champion and 2010 Olympic gold medalist is now under contract with the Ducks through the 2020-21 NHL season. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find. This is a great day for the Ducks.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+getzlaf

Comments

Paul's avatar

per Bob McKenzie,

Eight years with AAV of $8.25M for Ryan Getzlaf with ANA.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/08/13 at 01:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ouch, on two fronts.  1. 8.25 in a cap shrinking world and 2, I guess this is what Perry wants now, too.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/08/13 at 02:00 PM ET

$8 million?!? Jeez.

Posted by Chris M on 03/08/13 at 02:04 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Looking at Capgeek it’s not impossible to see how Anaheim makes this work. Next step is to see what happens with Perry.

And with regards to a “cap shrinking world”, how long before it starts ramping up all over again? I’m not familiar with how the new CBA is setup on that front.

Posted by SK77 on 03/08/13 at 02:04 PM ET

he wanted to stay so bad he accepted such a low AAV salary…

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 02:05 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Cue the Corey Perry Trade Rumors

Posted by Evilpens on 03/08/13 at 02:06 PM ET

Yeah, I read somewhere recently that there’s already talk that it will be going up against after next year.

Still, $8M+ is a pretty steep cap hit, especially if, as JJ pondered, that’s what Perry might be looking for as well…

Posted by Garth on 03/08/13 at 02:12 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Hence a deal like this getting penned?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/08/13 at 02:15 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

The worst part is what this will do to the market. Malkin is eligible for an extension after this season, will he take the same money as Sid over 8 years? Giroux is in the same position, he probably would have commanded 7+ now he has ammunition to get into the 8mil+ range.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 03/08/13 at 02:18 PM ET

if getzlaf deserves 8, perry could rightfully ask for more given that he has a Hart

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 02:20 PM ET

in saying that, getzlaf shouldn’t have gotten 8

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 02:20 PM ET

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Agreed on both counts, and I do think this is Anaheim making their choice between the two.  I would have a hard time giving either of them that kind of money but I would think it’d be hard to justify giving them both that much.

Posted by Garth on 03/08/13 at 02:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Or…do they find a way to keep Perry but dump Ryan?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/08/13 at 02:30 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Maybe Getzlaf and Perry colluded.  They both asked for $8M, knowing that Anaheim might only bight on one, but that the other could marked themselves, implicitly, at the same price.?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/08/13 at 02:39 PM ET

Detroit has the cap for Perry…

Posted by neffernin on 03/08/13 at 02:39 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

According to @CapGeek

Ducks still have ninth lowest payroll in #NHL next season, at $44.8M with Getzlaf signed.

Plenty of room to sign Perry too. I would imagine if anyone would be on their way out it would be Ryan.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 03/08/13 at 02:45 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think I’d rather have Ryan anyway.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/08/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

8 mil a year?

That’s a lot of hair plugs.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/08/13 at 02:55 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I can’t believe Getzlaf is getting paid that much! I don’t see Perry getting moved at the deadline because of the Ducks position in the standings. But I could see them moving B Ryan. If he’s available, what would the Wings have to give up? Tatar and a 1st?

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/08/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Plenty of room to sign Perry too.

They have room, but after signing their top scorer in Getzlaf they still have to sign or replace three of their top five scorers (Perry, Selanne, Koivu) plus four more, so I wouldn’t call it plenty of room.

Posted by Garth on 03/08/13 at 03:16 PM ET

Ducks may have the cap space for Perry, but they are not a big spending, cap team. I can’t imagine that they would have two, 8 million+ players on there team.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 03:18 PM ET

I would not want to trade Tatar. id rather give Nyqvist away in a deal than Tatar.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 03/08/13 at 03:20 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Hockey’s great work if you can get it…..especially at the highest levels.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 03/08/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’d rather have Ryan but don’t see them moving him unless they can lock up Perry before seasons end and I don’t see that happening. Man, I don’t see so well.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/08/13 at 03:47 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Fil, White, Prospect for Ryan, or top 4 (ideally top 2 but would never happen) D?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/08/13 at 05:07 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Bobby Ryan?

You mean the kid whose cap hit is $1.145 million more than Franzen’s and plays a comparable game?

Heck, why not.

Posted by SK77 on 03/08/13 at 05:22 PM ET

Dammit!!!

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/08/13 at 05:39 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

time for Kenny to make the call down to StevieY and see what he needs for Hedman.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/08/13 at 05:50 PM ET

I wonder if Getzlaf will give a rebate for only playing half of a season. The first half he usually sleeps.

Posted by timbits on 03/08/13 at 11:34 PM ET