Getting On Mikael Samuelsson

from Jason Brough of Orland Kurtenblog,

Oh, hey there Mikael. Thanks for coming to see us. So, uh, we really didn’t want things to get to this point, but knowing how you respond to being publicly humiliated…

YOU NEED TO WAKE THE **** UP!

Do we have your attention now? Good. Because you are playing like garbage out there. A factory of monkeys making microchips would be more productive. AND A FACTORY OF MONKEYS MAKING MICROCHIPS WOULD BE A DISASTER BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE TECHNOLOGY.

In case you haven’t been counting, you have two goals. One. Two. That’s all you have. You know who else has two goals? Tyler Bozak, Kris Versteeg, Tim Brent and Colton Orr. You know what team those guys play for? The Toronto Maple Leafs. Would you like to be a Toronto Maple Leaf? Because that could be arranged. THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ARE ALWAYS ON THE LOOK-OUT FOR TERRIBLE PLAYERS.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mikael+samuelsson

Comments

I’m waiting for you Wings fans to chime in. The things I’ve been hearing, reading, seeing over the last few weeks reminds me strongly of the complaints that I’ve heard from Wings fans in years past.

Posted by NathanBC on 11/10/10 at 06:10 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’ll do the Wings fan chime.

Without reading the article, I’m going to assume they’re complaining about the damage he’s doing to the GM Place/Rogers arena end boards and glass?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/10/10 at 06:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Is he also taking stupid penalties?

Hell, I actually still like Samuelsson, but he’s always been inconsistent at best.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/10/10 at 06:18 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Sammy was the Canucks best play-off performer last spring and has had a slow start, partly due to being bounced around on their lines. I’m sure the Red Wings would swap Hudler for Sammy straight up. At least Samuelsson is not afraid to shoot or check.

I’m sure Raffi Torres will continue his hot streak for the rest of the year and Vancouver will win the cup.
/sarcasm off

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/10/10 at 06:21 PM ET

Samuelsson has always been an inconsistent player. As a Canucks fan, I’m perfectly happy with him being rubbish at the moment, as it increases the possibility that he won’t be rubbish when the playoffs come around. Stanley Cup >>>>>>>>> President’s Trophy.

Posted by fcjbencard on 11/10/10 at 06:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Tough call, but probably yes.

Sammy is 33 to Hudler’s 26, but I’m not sure Hudler is a long-term type of guy anyway.

Their contracts are up at the same time, but Sammy’s $2.5M cap hit is lower than Hudler’s $2.875.

Yeah, I might pull the trigger on that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/10/10 at 06:26 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Sammy is a player I’d love to have back, all his frustrations included.

He is solid defensively. He holds onto the puck in pressure situations, buying his teammates time to get where they should be.

He can shoot. Yes, he misses the net a lot. But he’s got a raw shot that you just can’t teach. Sure, we see guys improve their shots, but generally, if you don’t have a heavy shot like his when you’re 20, you’re never going to.

These two things make him a big asset on the power play. You can trust him defensively on the point, and he can rifle it.

His skating isn’t great, but he’s clearly worked his ass off to improve it. He won’t win many races, but he is smart enough to get positioning and is hard to beat clean as a result.

He’s big and annoying. No, he’s not a “tough guy,” but he clearly pisses off the opposition pretty easily, and he’s hard to knock off the puck. If you want him to give the puck up, you’re best off waiting for him to shoot it wide. smile

With all that said, the reason he’s such an infuriating player is because he’s streaky. And not just a little bit. He’s either white-hot, or ice cold. And I can see from a Vancouver fan’s perspective, he’s probably extra irritating right now considering he gave them a glimpse of so much last year, and thus far this year isn’t living up to that production.

What the ‘Nucks got out of him last year is what the Wings and us fans always felt he could and should do, but his streakiness got the better of it. Also, he got to play a lot with the Sedin twins, whereas in Detroit he was expected to play on the third line primarily, but that’s another discussion all together.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/10/10 at 06:28 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

F*cking hilarious.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/10/10 at 06:31 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I would make the trade in a second. I think Hudler will snap out of it and ultimately have a nice season—he’s a streaky player like Samuelsson. But you have to try to win the Cup when you know you’re legit, and while we all expect the Wings to continue to re-tool, fact is, we know they have the team this season and next to be a legit contender. So if the opportunity presented itself to upgrade, even in the shorter term, you have to seriously entertain it.

Another topic entirely, but if I’m the Wings, I don’t know that I have any untouchable prospects. Maybe Tatar and Smith. Nyquist and Ferraro are maybes just because they have yet to crack pro hockey, so they’re a bit of an open book and hard to judge.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/10/10 at 06:34 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I’m sure the Red Wings would swap Hudler for Sammy straight up.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/10/10 at 04:21 PM ET

In a f*cking heartbeat. And I say that as someone who criticized Samuelsson on a daily basis to anyone who would listen…my friends, my wife, my cats. I loved to hate that guy.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/10/10 at 06:37 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Samuelsson is a streaky player.  He’ll play great for a while and then completely disappear except for when he makes an appearance as a liability.  There was a reason why he was a 3rd line guy.

Posted by Ajax19 on 11/10/10 at 07:04 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Most of his stats were garbage, too. He’d score two goals in a game, but they were goals #5 and 6 in the 7-3 contest. He was hot when it didn’t matter.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/10/10 at 08:39 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

The only players I was pissed about the Wings losing were Conklin and Sammy…I couldn’t care less about losing Hossa and Hudler.  Sammy was the bees knees come playoff time, scoring some big goals for us.  Like Nathan said, he has a MONSTER shot, be it wrist or slap.  He used to play defense, so combine his monster shot with his ability to play defense and you get a forward who can man the point on the power play who also has some defensive ability.  I miss that guy…I bet you if he was still a Wing, he wouldn’t have been scratched for a few games like some current Red Wing was…

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 11/10/10 at 10:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Honestly?  I’ll disagree with most Wings fans.  I wouldn’t trade Hudler for Sammy, not at Sammy’s cap hit anyways.  They’re the same player to me, except Hudler still has some upside potential and extra value at least.

Sammy *did* have a knack at becoming the team agitator come playoff time though, and they do miss that.  Just ask the Penguins…

Now all that said… Samuelsson is the LEAST of the guys Canucks fans should be worried about right now.  That they are makes me wonder if they’re doing it to hide form the truth.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/10 at 11:18 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I’m sure the Red Wings would swap Hudler for Sammy straight up.

My thoughts as soon as I started reading that post.
The Wings chose Happy over Sammy, not knowing that Hudler was going to Europe.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/11/10 at 12:50 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I’ll gladly take happy’s invisible/scoring
streakyness over sammy’s trainwreck/scoring streakyness every time.  That said, I don’t think a one for one disappointing forward swap is going to happen given the depth the wings have.  Factor in that the wings have three guys in the AHL that are out of options next year and scoring more than a point per game; I sense a blockbuster trade for a playoff rental or high profile RFA.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 11/11/10 at 08:21 AM ET