Get It Right

from Ted Wyman of the Winnipeg Sun,

It was an embarrassing moment for the NHL and one every coach hopes to never experience.

On Sunday, the league’s situation room made a significant error after Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella challenged a Carolina Hurricanes goal that he believed should not have counted because of a missed offside call.

The situation room ruled that the play was not offside, counted the goal and assessed the Blue Jackets a two-minute delay of game penalty with 1:15 left in the second period.

The Blue Jackets killed off the 1:15 and when they came back onto the ice for the third period, the rest of the penalty had been taken off the board as the NHL acknowledged its own error — the goal should actually not have counted because the play was offside and therefore, there should have been no penalty.

It was very little consolation to the Blue Jackets, as the goal was still left on the board and they wound up losing by one, 6-5.

“Well,” Jets head coach Paul Maurice said Monday when asked about the botched video review. “You know what? You always have good intentions, right? And that coach’s challenge has just done way, way more good in getting it right than, than that. So they had a mistake and they fixed it, I guess, as best they could. And it will bring scrutiny, right? And then it will force, maybe a better word, it will encourage, a review of the program and that’s how things get better, right?”

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Link wasn’t working on my phone so I didn’t get to read the whole article, but I wonder once they realized the error why not start the third with extra time and remove the goal?

I’ve seen that same scenario play out with a broken pane of glass at a wings game. They just ended the 2nd early and started the 3rd with extra time.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/08/21 at 09:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Jdunc, the link not working was my fault, it has been fixed.

While on this topic, imagine this happening to the Leafs or Habs.  It would be headlines for 3 days.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/08/21 at 09:47 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/08/21 at 08:43 PM ET

That’s the first thing I thought of too, especially since they took the penalty off? I mean either live with it or not, odd.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/08/21 at 10:14 PM ET

Paul, you’re absolutely right. That would be a whole week of can’t miss Leafs Lunch lol.

Also, I can’t think you enough for running this site. I’ve probably visited Kuklas Korner 10 times a day since the 2005 lockout. I was looking for hockey news anywhere I could get it and stumbled across your site and just appreciated your Red Wings slant and straight forward format. I don’t comment much, but I’m always here reading them all. Great site, great writers, great group of people, thanks for it all.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/08/21 at 10:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for the kind words Jdunc.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/08/21 at 10:39 PM ET

I commented on this in the article below (as I I usually
chime in with a bit of bias as CBJ’s my second team).

But yeah, even when the circumstances and facts differ
you get the sense a newer, smaller market team is about the
last kind to get respect from officials on the ice or the league office
in Toronto.

And it’s common sense really more than a woe is us
conspiracy theory. Who’s going to have the powers that
be bend over backwards to correct an error quickly and who going
going to have officials thinking: we don’t want our names in
the Canadian hockey press for the next week. We don’t want
major columnists opining for the next couple weeks and noting that
crucial points were on the line in a shortened season and if a team missed
because of a blunder like this that wasn’t fixed in a timely or meaningful way
it calls into question the very competence and priorities of operations on the ice
and in Toronto.

It’s like with elected officials or executives at a big company -
there is quite often going to a very different reaction is someone
with more clout who can put more heat on them is involved.

How does Paul Maurice get to say with a straight face, unchallenged,
that yeah this might be an opportunity for long-term learning and reflection.
No, it was an opportunity to suck it up and take the goal off the board and the
teams settle the game in final period. If they could have realized in time to rescind the final :45 of the bogus penalty from an incorrect call, they could have taken the bogus goal off the board.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/09/21 at 01:11 AM ET