Gary Bettman’s Stance On The Olympics Hasn’t Changed

from Emily Sadler of Sportsnet,

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed during Friday’s pregame press conference in Sweden that he met with International Ice Hockey Federation president René Fasel, but said there is currently “no news to report” when it comes to the NHL’s Olympic participation.

“We had another meeting. We’ve had many, many meetings, and there is no news to report,” Bettman told reporters. “I would suggest it was more a philosophical and procedural discussion. [NHLPA executive director] Donald Fehr also participated in the meeting, but I have nothing to report on that front.”

The NHL announced in April 2017 that its players would not participate in the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. That was the first time since Nagano 1998 that NHLers weren’t part of the Games, and despite players and fans voicing their frustrations with the verdict, Bettman’s words on Friday didn’t provide much hope for a different outcome in 2022.

“I don’t want to sound like a broken record on the subject, but I think going to the Olympics is a challenge for us,” he said. “I know the players love representing their countries, I know that the players like going, I know that the players that don’t go like having a break in the middle of the season. But from our standpoint, we have found going to the Olympics to be incredibly disruptive… to our season.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Steeb's avatar

The players, fans, sponsors, television networks, Olympic committee, and host cities all want NHL players at the Olympics, but the 32 owners don’t, so guess what the answer is.

Posted by Steeb on 11/08/19 at 04:44 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I guess I assumed that agreement with LiL gary was ; “ok… we’ll put you in Hall of Fame, but then you’ll just go away…right????..”

sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/08/19 at 06:08 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by Steeb on 11/08/19 at 04:44 PM ET

Exactly.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/08/19 at 06:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

You have one choice, Olympics or World Cup of Hockey.

I take the Olympics 100% of the time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/08/19 at 06:44 PM ET

Funny, my stance on Bettman hasn’t changed.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/08/19 at 07:35 PM ET

igrover's avatar

I’ve said it before - if you held all the Olympic games here in North America, and allowed the NHL owners to get a cut of some Olympic team swag profits their attitude would change immediately.

Posted by igrover on 11/08/19 at 08:36 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I’ve been thinking it might be interesting to put hockey in the Summer Olympics. Probably too weird, and the basketball people might not like it too much. Does the NBA still send players?

Posted by Steeb on 11/08/19 at 10:47 PM ET