Gary Bettman Upholds Eight-Game Suspension To Nazem Kadri

NEW YORK (May 31, 2021) – NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the eight-game suspension that was assessed to Colorado Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri by the Department of Player Safety for an illegal check to the head against St. Louis Blues defenseman Justin Faulk during Game 2 of the teams’ First Round Stanley Cup Playoff series on Wednesday, May 19.

Commissioner Bettman heard Kadri’s appeal of the original decision, assessed May 21, at a hearing on May 27.

The incident occurred at 6:26 of the third period. Kadri was assessed a match penalty for illegal check to the head.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nazem+kadri

Comments

Paul's avatar

Kadri can appeal to an independent arbitrator and the decision there would be final.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/31/21 at 11:38 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Pure insanity. Wilson gets nothing for trying to crush heads into the ice after the whistle and Kadri gets 8 playoff games upheld for a bad hit in the middle of game action. I don’t generally join the loud choruses dumping on the DoPS and the league on discipline, I get that it is very difficult to make people happy, but this discrepancy is the most egregious I’ve seen. Pretty infuriating lack of consistency.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 05/31/21 at 11:40 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Reports are Kadri will appeal to the independent arbitrator. Also, the NHLPA on behalf of Kadri wanted the suspension reduced to 4 games.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/31/21 at 12:00 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

And later today LiL gary will remain silent on dbag Reeves…count on it..

Take you millions and go away gary… sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/31/21 at 01:14 PM ET

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 05/31/21 at 12:40 PM ET

Yup.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/31/21 at 01:39 PM ET

I’m glad Kadri is doing this, not only to challenge
the league’s rationale at least ostensibly outside any league influence
(I thought more time had passed since his last suspensions, so that according to the league they would not be weighed at least as heavily - I’m sure there’s some technicality there I’m missing?)

But I’m also glad because it’s coming in between Wilson and Reaves basically being allowed to relentlessly mug defenseless opponents way after any hockey play had ended. And these are both of course players who have really played over the line multiple times prior. It puts a bigger spotlight on what the league doesn’t and doesn’t care about.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/31/21 at 02:11 PM ET