Gary Bettman On A Few Topics, Twitter Style

Yesterday the commissioners from the four major North America sports leagues were at an event and did a Q & A.

John Ourand of Sports Business Journal tweeted these comments from Gary Bettman-

NHL commish Bettman: "We've had challenges with our union for as long as I've been commissioner."

NHL commish Bettman: "Historically, we have been underserved by traditional media."

NHL commish Bettman: The concern is making sure that millennials and Gen Z continue to want to watch team sports.

NHL commish Bettman: We're a small part of betting compared to football and basketball...I don't worry about fixing games.

Moderator Zaslav: How do you deal with violence in sports? NHL commish Bettman: You mean physicality, not violence.

NHL commish Bettman: The issue of fisticuffs in hockey gets overblown. It's an extremely small part of the game.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gary+bettman

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

NHL commish Bettman: We’re a small part of betting compared to football and basketball…I don’t worry about fixing games

Why would he worry about it, he’s got that covered.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 07/19/17 at 07:09 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Why would he worry about it, he’s got that covered.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 07/19/17 at 08:09 AM ET

and you covered for me. I appreciate ya!

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 07/19/17 at 08:18 AM ET

HaHasek's avatar

“Bettman: You mean physicality, not violence.”

What an ass.

Posted by HaHasek on 07/19/17 at 09:32 AM ET

A rare occasion where I actually agree with Bettman. All the major sports better take note. The prices to attend games and even watch on TV have gotten too high and there are a lot more options for your dollar now.

Posted by evileye on 07/19/17 at 09:43 AM ET

You mean physicality, not violence.

Exactly. We’re talking slashes, spears, crosschecks, suckerpunches and headshots, not violence!

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 07/19/17 at 10:00 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Brian Compton of NHL.com,

Commissioner Bettman also raved about the NHL’s partnership with NBC, which has provided the capability to show multiple Stanley Cup Playoff games nationally at the same time across several of its networks.

“This is the first national TV contract in the United States where all of the games of the [Stanley Cup] playoffs are on national television,” Commissioner Bettman said. “We never had that before, which is one of the reasons I think in terms of the size of our audience has always been impacted by underexposure, coupled with the fact that if you look at our footprint going back to as late at the mid-60s, we were in four U.S. cities.

“Obviously now with 31 teams, a new team in Las Vegas, our footprint is broader than it’s ever been. But we have a great opportunity to grow in places and in ways that we’ve never been able to do it before because we’re getting more exposure in more places.”

more, basically growing the game…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/19/17 at 10:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

More here from John Ourand of SportsBusiness Jorunal and on gambling here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/19/17 at 12:00 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Kind of.  If I recall correctly, the first few games (or games not shown on a Sunday) were still featured on NBCSN, which is still very much a subscriber channel.

BUT, I will say I enjoyed being able to log into the NBC Sports app and watch any game, especially the first couple rounds while there were numerous games on at a time.  To my wife’s dismay, that was the only tv we watched for about 3 weeks.  It was especially nice for a guy like myself who doesn’t get CNBC, MSNBC, or any of the other channels they broadcasted the games on.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/19/17 at 04:50 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Wasn’t sure it was possible to dislike (keeping family friendly) this guy more than I already did….....But I was wrong.....FYI…a phrase never uttered by gary. confused

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/19/17 at 07:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

NHL commish Bettman: “We’ve had challenges with our union for as long as I’ve been commissioner.”

Hmmmm. I wonder if there might be a correlation there, Lil’ Gary?

I still chuckle about his appearance at the draft this year. I’ve never seen anyone get on a stage and encourage the crowd to boo them like he did. He’s a very sick little dude.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/17 at 10:58 AM ET