Forget The Hart Trophy, Think Conn Smythe Tropy For Marc-Andre Fleury

from Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,

I have a better award in mind for Fleury.

Conn Smythe Trophy.

You know, as playoffs MVP.

It’s an easy call, isn’t it? Who wouldn’t prefer the Smythe? I’m starting to think it could be Fleury’s year. The way he’s tending goal, it’s not hard to picture him leading the Penguins to the Stanley Cup.

With the great Crosby, certainly. But maybe even without him.

Crazy?

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc-andre+fleury

Comments

edillac's avatar

you forgot the Nobel peace prize

Posted by edillac from isolation on 03/29/11 at 08:22 AM ET

To me, if your goalie is your MVP, you’re either not playing the kind of hockey in front of him to win the Cup, or all of the other stars are gone. No doubt, Fleury is playing great, but I think it’s more of a case of “last-guy-standing” when the Pens are otherwise playing a solid, if sometimes unspectacular team game, where the hero’s name rotates from game to game.

Without Crosby, I liken this years Penguins to last years Habs. If Fleury can pull out a “Halakian” type performance, the Pens could go a few rounds on work ethic alone. But I fear that they might run out of gas. The one difference is that the Penguins at least have the size to play a more physical game than the Habs did, so there’s hope. If Crosby makes it back, Fleury keeps up his pace, the PK sustains, and the PP does anything, look out. :-p

Posted by penguinsfan on 03/29/11 at 08:25 AM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Paul,

As a proud Penguins fan, I have one request. Please never link anything by Ron Cook on here ever again.

Sincerely,
LG

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 03/29/11 at 08:30 AM ET

Paul,

As a proud Penguins fan, I have one request.  Please never link anything by Ron Cook on here ever again.

Sincerely,
G

Posted by Geno71 on 03/29/11 at 08:39 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m far too lazy to go back to the start of the season, when Fleury was streaky at best and tools like Cook were wanting to trade the guy.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/29/11 at 11:33 AM ET