Florida Panthers Considering Offers For #1 Pick

via TSN,

The Florida Panthers will have an array of options when it comes to the first-overall selection in tonight's NHL Draft.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the Panthers are considering a number of trade options for the pick, including those from teams picking outside of the top 10 selections.

Many of those offers are believed to be centred around current NHL players.

Dreger adds that the Panthers do not plan on making their decision on whether to trade the top pick on the draft floor, and therefore will likely make a decision prior to the kick-off of the first round.

The Buffalo Sabres and Edmonton Oilers are also both content staying at second and third overall, respectively, according to Dreger.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Any chance Kenny is one of the teams “outside the top 10” who might be looking at this? It would have to mean they love Ekblad or Bennett, I’d think. Saw Bennett compared to Toews but I am not sure Ekblad has that kind of ceiling. Then again, I think getting a high draft pick is the only way the team ever gets its next star defenseman - if the team loves Ekblad and thinks he’s that guy, any chance they make their move now?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/27/14 at 11:44 AM ET

Paul's avatar

VL, was thinking the same thing and I would think the Wings would have interest in Ekblad, who born in Windsor, lives in Belle River, favorite teams is the Wings, favorite player is Lidstrom and favorite non-hockey athlete is Verlander.

More in his profile...

Right-handed shot too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/27/14 at 11:46 AM ET

That would be nice. But you have to think it would cost an arm and a leg, would leave a huge hole/holes on the Wings current roster.

Posted by George0211 on 06/27/14 at 11:54 AM ET

Most likely Philadelphia is the “outside the top 10”  team. They want to make a splash for their fans and they could use a defenseman. They have some good roster players to throw in. You know Bettman will go up and say, “I have a trade to announce. The Florida Panthers trade the first over all draft pick to the Philadelphia Flyers for Matt Read and the 17Th overall pick.”

Posted by Puckbubba on 06/27/14 at 12:21 PM ET

awould's avatar

Wings have assets to give, if you think of defensive prospects, obviously some picks and more than a couple attractive young offensive guys.

Posted by awould on 06/27/14 at 12:45 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i don’t know, I think the Wings could probably pry first overall away for Kindl, Andersson, Ferraro, and their 1st

cool cheese

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/27/14 at 12:46 PM ET

IIRC, Weber was drafted in 2nd round, right?

Posted by wings8 on 06/27/14 at 12:55 PM ET

awould's avatar

IIRC, Weber was drafted in 2nd round, right?

Lidstrom was drafted 3rd round.

But it’s still a better bet to have a high draft pick. I think the scouting process has gotten much better and these future stars are more on the radar.

Posted by awould on 06/27/14 at 01:01 PM ET

Regarding a package for the #1, I bet if the Wings offered #15 + Tatar, it might be enough. I truly believe the Wings are not in love with Tomas Tatar and I firmly believe it is because they like Nyquist better and those two are very closely related as players.

If they had to, maybe throw in Jakub Kindl, if that’d sweeten the pot.

I can’t say I would be upset if that was the move. Then again, that deal may not be enough for Florida to go from 1 to 15.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/27/14 at 01:29 PM ET

If they had to, maybe throw in Jakub Kindl, if that’d sweeten the pot.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/27/14 at 01:29 PM ET

If I was a Florida fan and this deal happened, I would be pissed and calling for Tallon’s head.

Posted by George0211 on 06/27/14 at 01:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Let’s make it interesting, Mantha, Tatar and #15 for #1 and Myers?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/27/14 at 01:34 PM ET

Let’s make it interesting, Mantha, Tatar and #15 for #1 and Myers?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/27/14 at 01:34 PM ET

No way, not Mantha.

Posted by George0211 on 06/27/14 at 01:35 PM ET

SK77's avatar

IIRC, Weber was drafted in 2nd round, right?

Lidstrom was drafted 3rd round.

Posted by awould on 06/27/14 at 01:01 PM ET

And Kindl was drafted in the 1st round. By Jim “Walks on Water” Nill.

Posted by SK77 on 06/27/14 at 01:46 PM ET

If they took Bennett as the #1 I’d do that…watched Bennett alot the last two seasons…..he will be the real deal

Posted by Wings9119 on 06/27/14 at 01:47 PM ET

And Kindl was drafted in the 1st round. By Jim “Walks on Water” Nill.

Don’t forget Brandon Smith. P.K. Subban went in the 2nd round in the same draft. We have not done that well drafting d-man in the 1st round.

93-Eriksson
94-Golubovsky
95-Kuznetsov
96-Wallin
98-Fischer
00-Kronwall
05-Kindl
07-Smith

Kronwall and Fischer are the only 1st round picks that were worth it. At least Anders Eriksson was trade bait in the Chelios trade.

Posted by fuleko on 06/27/14 at 02:06 PM ET