Flames Blog Episode #1

This should be fun…

Our new Calgary Flames blogger at Kukla’s Korner.

-Paul

Dear Flaming C Elite:

Welcome to All Things Flaming C! This may be the greatest thing to grace your eyeballs since Jarome Iginla’s movie star smile. Let me introduce myself. My name is Scooter. I have merit as a Flames aficionado being that my family has been Flame’s season ticket holders since the fellas were lacing them up in the 7000 seat Stampede Corral. I have caught one game puck in those 31 years. Rule of thumb regarding being a true fan- you either A) Oscillate and cool off your mobile home, or B) Stand behind your team through thick and thin. I appreciate both said fans, but will concentrate on the latter. I never wavered in my confidence with D-Sutter, and still consider Gary Leeman a 40 goal scorer. Perhaps my love is visually impairing.

The dawn of another exciting time is upon us. That time being, of course, the players getting ready to return to Cowtown. The players were getting a little crazy for the past couple months with 2% milk, rather than skim, and the odd sugar filled mint from the restaurants they so frequently support. But that window of wackiness is closing fast. The days of the athlete rolling up in mid-August to start their cardio regiment are long past. Salary Cap restraints, one-way, two-way contracts and free-agency, has made the nouveau pro athletes tenure tenuous.

The Flames have the luxury of having fiercely loyal fans. That being said, extremely attractive, intelligent and well-manicured as well. The Flames treated the public with a Jekyll and Hyde of sorts last season. Pre-Xmas they had 15 wins, and coincidentally, GM Darryl won his last game Dec 23rd and the team flourished with 25 victories to end up just outta the playoff picture. Has anyone seen the former GM since then??? I still love you and miss your interviews.

Well we won’t go overboard with the pre season hype and I’d like to stress that if you are looking for a statistically charged, fact-based blog, let me direct you to my other one named “Here I Am, Let Me Help You Sleep.” All Things Flaming C is more of an opinion-based, factually sparse, sharing of Flaming-Horse-jersey-loving-crowd. I hope you enjoy.

Scooter Lemelin

PS-Stay tuned for plenty of attacks on the Edmonton Oilers. Attacks full of love, I must add

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, Scooter Kelly, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome, Scooter!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/24/11 at 01:58 PM ET

That was riveting.  If I was a Flames Fan.  With that said, your prose is amazing and I am willing to bet you utilized more syllables in that article than all of D-Sutts on camera interviews combined….. no offense to flames fans as well but many definitely aren’t intellient nor well manicured.  For proof take a good look around Dutton’s next time you are there swilling Pilsner.  That being said, from what I have witnessed Flames fans do make the Oil and Couv fans look like a comic book convention crowd, so kudos to the Flambo Nation for that.  At any rate, great article once again…..you have already made me a loyal fan of this blog and I look forward to more…..one request, however.  Please include some shoutouts to another Great Red Team from the East in future blogs…..hint:  they don’t speak French, they have won a cup in the last 5 years, their fans are missing more teeth than oiler fans…..sorry that’s a tie…like kissing your sister, which coincidentally Oiler fans do as well…..whoa….booyah…..thanks for the good read Mr. Scooter Kelly.

Posted by Raindoggg on 07/24/11 at 02:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Welcome aboard Scooter!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/24/11 at 02:35 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Welcome welcome!

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/24/11 at 03:04 PM ET

I can’t believe you are published. As someone on your original distribution list on all things Flamers, I am very much looking forward to seeing the hockey world’s reaction. Congratulations on the new pulpit - it is going to be fun reading you.

Posted by Brad from NL from St. John's on 07/24/11 at 04:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Strong votes of confidence from Brad

Welcome to KK Flamer, I think I’ll enjoy your articles

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/24/11 at 04:27 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Welcome to KK! Look forward to your posts!

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 07/24/11 at 05:16 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Välkommen to KK., Scooter !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 07/24/11 at 07:43 PM ET

Welcome, Scooter. As a loyal Flames fan since 1982 I will read everything you post. However, I do hope you brush up on your grammar during your first season here on KK.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/24/11 at 08:07 PM ET

Welcome. Although I am a Wings fan, I am excited about the new diversity of viewpoints and teams added lately. It should increase the fireworks exponentially. Good luck, Scooter. I look forward to your love-filled attacks on the Oilers.

Posted by Seaner on 07/25/11 at 01:50 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Flaming Calgarians…... Is that like the San Francisco of Canada?

I kid. Welcome aboard.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 07/25/11 at 08:06 AM ET

DK (sy’s buddy) says well worded and death to Vancouver. Great blog.

Posted by DK from Calgary on 07/26/11 at 01:00 AM ET