Fire Bylsma? Don’t Even Think About It

from Gene Collier of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,

On the day it started, exactly one week ago, I thought the Penguins-Flyers series would be lengthy, nasty, and as likely to be won by Philadelphia as not.

I still think all those things, for what it’s worth, and take no satisfaction from the Meatloafian two-out-of-three already established. I expect the Penguins will get to their feet tonight and begin a win streak of two, three, maybe even four games, and if that looks foolish before 11 o’clock, well, it won’t be my first time.

Also on the day it started, also one week ago, you couldn’t find anyone who suspected the Penguins were short-handed behind the bench, from where Dan Bylsma had directed more playoff victories than any coach in the history of the franchise.

One week ago, the Penguins had no serious problems, few marginal problems, and zero problems that could be traced to within 10 logical miles of Bylsma.

So look, it’s obviously too late for any essay that could earn a two-word summary like “remain calm,” but this “Fire Bylsma” reaction to a week of frequent Flyer losses is deserving of a summary condemnation.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

i love this article, and do think firing him would be a big mistake… however, he does need to start showing people that he can make changes (small changes) during games to counter something that is going against them.  He really has not done that yet, and teams are able to throw the same thing again and again at them with similar results.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/18/12 at 01:18 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/18/12 at 11:18 AM ET

Are you talking about the Wings or the Pens?  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/12 at 01:46 PM ET

Are you talking about the Wings or the Pens?

well first of all as much as i love dan, he is not at the same level as babcock, so nice try.  i know for sure babcock would have implemented something prior to the pens series had he been the pens coach.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/18/12 at 01:54 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh, just razzing you, but I honestly feel the same way about Babcock.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/12 at 02:29 PM ET

Heh, just razzing you, but I honestly feel the same way about Babcock.

yea, i know.  This is actually the first playoffs where i have actually not watched any game other than penguins.  Typically i am always interested to I can see what team I may want the penguins to play against in later rounds, but since the pens have lost all three games so far, i don’t want anything to do with hockey until about 2-3 hours before the pens next game.

After tonight, if they end up losing, i will probably be able to start watching the rest of the games again and actually Enjoy hockey again.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/18/12 at 02:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’m enjoying the heck out of the Kings-Nucks series…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/12 at 02:44 PM ET

Byslma is terrible.  Can’t coach defense, can’t adjust.  Third year in a row loosing to a lower seed.  He is terrible.  FIRE HIM.

Posted by Ryan on 04/22/12 at 04:58 PM ET