Fed Up In Denver

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

I’m getting more and more of these kinds of emails, just so Avalanche management knows:

Adrian:
I am a beyond huge Avs fan, and enjoy your articles on the team. This ongoing war (and sadly, mostly to the Avs fault that it is now a war) between O’Reilly and the team is sickening me, mostly because it was avoidable. Like you mentioned, the Avs could have taken care of this during the season, as they also could have done with Statsny, by signing him then.

There are two kinds of owners in professional sports: Those who are out to make a profit at all costs, or those who are trying to win a championship. Sadly, we clearly know which camp the Kroenke family is in. I can see owners who do not have deep pockets trying to save money because they do not have a lot to spend in the first place (i.e. Kansas City Royals, Buffalo Bills, etc.), but the Kroenke family has untold billions of dollars. Yet, they have this ridiculous cost-containment policy towards the Avs, and this will all but guarantee that they will not be winning a Stanley Cup anytime soon.

continued which includes a note from another fan with the opposite view...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+o'reilly

Comments

Link seems to be dead now Paul.

Posted by Chris M on 07/22/14 at 11:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Yep Chris, looks like they pulled it.  Here is the link to the full All Things Avs, maybe they will add it later.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/22/14 at 11:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

After reviewing it my head, Dater actually posted the full names of the two people he quoted along with their email address.

Probably not the smartest thing to do so maybe that is the reason it has been pulled.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/22/14 at 11:35 AM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Dater has never struck me as the brightest bulb…..

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/22/14 at 11:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

*chortle

And he wants to be considered as actually legitimate…

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/22/14 at 02:00 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Looking at the post on google’s cache, here’s the rest of the reader email Paul put above the jump:

This is all the more tragic because they have numerous budding young starts on this team, and they are about to lose one, O’Reilly, because of their cheap stubbornness. NHL revenues are up, and the cap is going up. They were 29th out of 30 (only the Islanders spent less money) in the NHL regarding payroll last year. (editor note: it was 28th actually). What happens when Nathan MacKinnon becomes one of the best, if not the best, player in the NHL in a couple of years? They will certainly have to pay him at least as much as Kane and Toews of the Blackhawks recently got, and yet, they probably won’t. I hope you write an article blasting their cheapness. They are cheating the fans.

<Name and email redacted>

And Dater’s take:

My comment: The Avs better get a damn good D-man in return for O’Reilly, is all I can say.

I don’t see the follow-up email from the opposing viewpoint that Paul teased; it must’ve been added after the site was cached.  He did definitely did print the guy’s name and email address though.  What a goober. If it were, like, four years ago and I was a meaner person, I’d totally send the guy an email and let him know that not only is our front office way better (oh how the times have changed), but Wings bloggers also don’t throw your private information out there for all to see.  Well, I guess George kind’ve does when he doesn’t like you, but not as overtly!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/22/14 at 07:23 PM ET