Evening Line

“I hope he (Lidstrom) does [retire], and I love him.  I can’t talk about other teams’ players, but I admire him and I think he is one of the greatest. He is brilliant in how he plays.

“I said the first part jokingly. I hope he doesn’t retire. I think he is the standard of how we want people to play the game—the ultimate professional. I think he is one of the, when we’re teaching young defensemen how to play the game, I don’t think there’s ever been anyone as technically strong as him, and that includes everybody.”

-Doug Wilson, GM of the San Jose Sharks.  More reaction from Corey Masisak of NHL.com.

What does Steve Yzerman think of Lidstrom retiring?  Watch below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: doug+wilson, nick+lidstrom, steve+yzerman

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

“kenny and jim are smart and resourceful….”

they aren’t miracle workers

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/30/12 at 11:07 PM ET

John's avatar

One way to look at this now is that the Wings have more cap space than anyone else in the league, not matter what happens with the salary cap.  The Wings have something like $42 million under contract right now with 6-7 spots to fill, depending on how much they want to rely on some of their minor leaguers.  Players like Nyquist and Smith are probably ready for full time action.

So that gives us $3-4 million per open roster spot.  That is nuts.  I expect some action at free agency and maybe some trades.  Its going to be an active summer.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 05/30/12 at 11:32 PM ET

perfection's avatar

but you could just hear the doubt in Stevie’s voice. our defense could actually be quite terrible if things don’t go our way this summer.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/31/12 at 01:02 AM ET

Yeah. The D could be terrible. Quincey could still be part of it

Posted by teldar on 05/31/12 at 01:45 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

John, your cap figures assume a lot. The CBA expires after the Stanely Cup Finals. The owners’ goal in the negotiations (which haven’t even started BTW) is to reduce significantly the share of revenue that the players receive, therefore the cap will be decreasing. The Wings will have cap space, but not as much as they would have had under the old CBA. Enjoy the finals because it will be the last hockey we see for a long long time.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/31/12 at 02:10 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Don’t worry about the cap. With the partial season lockout thats coming, all of the contracts will be pro-rated and Detroit will have plenty of space even if the cap is lower than expected.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/31/12 at 11:36 AM ET