Evening Line

“Little goody two shoes [Crosby] goes into the corner and gives a shot to Schenn. Schenn was late to the party, he should have turned around and drilled him right away, but I guess better late than never.  So you know, Crosby gets cross-checked, big whoop. He said after he came back from his 35th concussion, ‘I’m not going to do this anymore, I’m not going to get into this scrums, I’m going to stay away from that stuff.’ He couldn’t help himself because there’s a little punk in Crosby. He’s not the perfect gentleman. He’s not the sweet kid you see in interviews with his hat pulled down over his eyes. I’d say screw him, hit him.”

-Mike Milbury on 94WHIP radio this morning.  More at Philadelphia CBS…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury, sidney+crosby

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

bezukov's avatar

Let’s not act like our own shit doesn’t stink.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/03/12 at 09:24 AM ET

Of course you’re right about that in principle sir, but I would draw one distinction.  There is something about Crosby antagonizing folks on the other team while being the the NHL’s highest profile china doll.  Nobody wants to be remembered as the “guy who did in Crosby.”  It hard to believe he isn’t taking advantage of that status at least a little when he is involved with this stuff.  I have no doubt a lot of the comments here are couched in envy and sanctimony as you said, but that doesn’t make them wrong on their face.

Thank you.  For whiny-fvck sake.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/03/12 at 12:26 PM ET

Ah come on man.  You know Crosby has to feed upon the villain role just a little bit, whether it was foisted upon him or not.  We get to bitch about him if we want.  wink

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 02:31 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by bezukov from The Darkness with Harkness Redux on 04/04/12 at 12:31 AM ET
I don’t even like Crosby.  I just dislike star-hate.  I remember that there was an actual Gretzky hate-club.  Crosby is whiny, but if I am gonna single someone out, it’s gonna be someone who is actually dirty and harsh, not just whiny and pushy.  Whatever, you are allowed to hate him, but at least the teams I hate have actually committed injustices, not just beat my team.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 09:26 PM ET

You see, Mr. Clever Prose, this is why you suck.  I have locked horns with a lot of the people you feel the need to stick up for, and I think that’s what this place is for (though I know you just want someone to jack off your opinion).  I respect these people for engaging, and I obviously have no problem with playing the sideshow, but you just want to call me out.  I haven’t spent any time thinking about how impressive your accomplishments are (now that I am, I am imagining a super-cool success - like a day-trader type), but you have a little hate-on that seems to override the fact that this is a forum where overblown personalities are part of the discourse (I realize personality is a pretty difficult concept for a power-trader super-success).  Most of the people I have pissed off have thrown actually clever comments out, or ignored me, but you have a dirty little diaper gripe (which, by your reasoning, indicates some lack of fulfillment in your life?).

Duncan Keith deserved a headshot from Daniel, but should have been evicted from the league for his retaliation

This is maybe what the gripe is really about.  Straight-up, you’ve never played hockey.  Your UFC mentality makes that pretty clear.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 03:12 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Okay, okay….to be fair:

1) I probably should have let this one go, I totally forgot that you’re the hate-on guy.

2) I did laugh at your last post, it was pretty good.

3) I apologize to the other Wings fans for lumping you in with this goofball.  It is a pretty rare member that doesn’t know the difference between the Sedin hit and the Keith one.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 03:50 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/04/12 at 01:12 PM ET

Well my friend, what if beating my team is an injustice lol?  I’m just fuching with you my man.  I understand the annoyance.  I won’t deny that most of the Crosby-hating has about the same intellectual value as toilet stall graffiti (including some of my own).

The Pens and Crosby had the fortune/misfortune of being the spearhead of a five year long media blitz by the NHL here in the U.S.  Fans of other U.S.-based teams had about all they could stomach.  Wings fans had to deal with it through two SCF’s.  What can I say other than familiarity breeds contempt?  Are there some sour grapes on our part?  Sure, but we have plenty of cause for indigestion.

Anyway, I hope it was clear that I was messing with you in my earlier comment.  Against the back drop of the unpleasant conversation you had with another member, I was concerned my kidding around might have appeared hostile.  I enjoy talking with you and I don’t want that to sour.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 03:51 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by bezukov from The Darkness with Harkness Redux on 04/04/12 at 01:51 PM ET
No I didn’t take it that way at all.  Likewise, in my sweeping statements I merely meant to chide…..I know you understand my bombastic language, but I guess I can’t really blame that other dude for not liking it.

Now this I get.  It has to be worse in Canada.  The stick that he scored the gold medal goal with was misplaced and it was a national scandal.  I chuckled about it and was met with actual outrage.  Non-fans are constantly bitching about his injury, the same people who won’t watch a game anyway.  I get it.  Also, I saw him smash his stick against the boards when the puck didn’t go in for him, while the play was still on!  I was dumbfounded and incensed.  (Also, in 2008 they tanked a game for playoff seeding and I can’t forgive that.)
  In 2009 I stared blankly for an hour after Fleury’s last second save.  For days I couldn’t believe how crappy that game was.
But….......I just cant get worked up about this when you have Chara breaking people’s necks.  And it particularly bugs me when someone gets villified for playing with an edge, when most of the time he is being called a girl.  I guess that’s the defensiveness born from being a Sedin fan.
Seriously, stickwork is part of hockey.  Goonjobs away from the play and after the whistle shouldn’t be.  Simple.  Perhaps this is another case of me breaking out the soapbox on the wrong street.

Anyway Bez, you’re one of the good ones.  So are guys like J.J. and Garth - they don’t love me, but they are willing to suffer a fool sometimes, which is nice.

WingsfaninCO, you’re one of the bad ones.  Your life is on too tight.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 04:16 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/04/12 at 02:16 PM ET

A late response, I know, but let me clear the air.

My main beef wasn’t the initial comment, or even the indignant act you paraded out thereafter.  What got me fired up were the subsequent posts.  I was even trying to keep my next post pretty civil, but while I was typing my response, your subsequent posts crossed my personal “let it slide” line.  I do enjoy a battle of wits and snarky response and, judging by your last couple posts, you do as well.  I’m not nursing a total hate-on, but will admit to an extremely stressful week which may or may not have influenced the rate at which I escalated the arms race.

Hopefully we have a chance to spar again.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/06/12 at 12:25 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Okay.  Without getting too into it, yeah, I’m just being a dick.  I made every attempt to cross your lines because you stole my goat, trussed it, roasted it, and made plans to eat it.
Whatever, someone must have trimmed my fuse.  You’re a good guy and I do want to emulate the politeness thing because when I read other people making the type of posts that I make, I find them off-putting.
Sorry for being personal and adversarial.  I’m sure we are capable of “some-holds-barred” sparring.  See you in the pit.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/11/12 at 02:24 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2