Evening Line

“Little goody two shoes [Crosby] goes into the corner and gives a shot to Schenn. Schenn was late to the party, he should have turned around and drilled him right away, but I guess better late than never.  So you know, Crosby gets cross-checked, big whoop. He said after he came back from his 35th concussion, ‘I’m not going to do this anymore, I’m not going to get into this scrums, I’m going to stay away from that stuff.’ He couldn’t help himself because there’s a little punk in Crosby. He’s not the perfect gentleman. He’s not the sweet kid you see in interviews with his hat pulled down over his eyes. I’d say screw him, hit him.”

-Mike Milbury on 94WHIP radio this morning.  More at Philadelphia CBS…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury, sidney+crosby

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

MoreShoot's avatar

And what MM didn’t say was that it looked like Sid was baiting Shenn, cause he sure lollly gagged back to the bench, nice and slow, and the way he went down like a rag doll suggested he knew the check was coming.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/02/12 at 08:59 PM ET

That thud you just heard was Evilpens fainting after a fit of apoplexy.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/02/12 at 09:03 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

These are probably the most intelligent words to come out of Milbury’s mouth in a long, long time.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/02/12 at 09:05 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

However, I’d love to see Milbury make this statement on NBC during a broadcast. He’d probably lose his job.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/02/12 at 09:06 PM ET

This.

Aaaaand this.

Posted by godblender on 04/02/12 at 09:19 PM ET

MM is a complete idiot.
He craves attention.
And the only way he gets it is to act like a buffoon.

Posted by Jack Panettiere from New York City on 04/02/12 at 09:33 PM ET

MM isn’t qualified to make any comments about hockey.  He’s the worst GM in the leagues history, the worst commentator, and he barely got away with abusing children.  NBC should fire him and every comment he’s ever made should be removed from the internet to make it a slightly less lousy of a place.

Posted by khaos on 04/02/12 at 09:44 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Ya know, the crappy thing is this:everyone is afraid to hit Crosby so they wont be known as “the guy who ended his career”. And at the same time we all know that no one wants to hit him because they will be “an example of”. This disgusts me in more ways than I can express. Now im not saying go out and TRY to hurt this guy. But everyone on the ice has a job, no matter what number is on the jersey. You hit and finish your checks(in a clean manner). You play your game and you come to the ice to win. It just so happens that #87 lives by a double standard in this league. Lets just see what his team does here in the near future when a 100% clean and effective hit knocks him on his ass. Is it gonna be like the other teams, who think they gotta retaliate against a clean hit and goad the other team into fighting and right alongside Crosby gives out some cheap shots? Oh and of course you cant hit him back, or you’ll be in the box. If your gonna dish it out in the corners, you damn well better be able to take it when its handed back. Game On.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/02/12 at 09:49 PM ET

Crow's avatar

I’m not a MM fan, but yea, I’ll have to agree with that statement.

Posted by Crow on 04/02/12 at 10:01 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

How I feel about Milbury: http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-worst-mike-milbury-trades-contracts-and-transactions/

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/02/12 at 10:04 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

MM is an idiot, obviously, but this is pretty spot on.  I think even the most die hard Pens fan can agree that Sid likes to play with an edge and has a bit of a dirty streak in him.  Not trying to end careers dirty, but he’ll get that extra shot in the corners and in scrums.  And that’s why a lot of other fans in the league can’t stand the diving and whining he exhibits.  He sure can dish it out, but when it comes back around he acts all appalled, like, “what the hell was that for?”  He would be a lot more respected if after one of his little shots, when he gets it back, to stand up and go back after the guy again, instead of bitching about it.  If you want to play with an edge, play with an edge all the time, but don’t give somebody a dirty little shot you think no one else saw, and then act indignant when you get it back.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/02/12 at 10:28 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

nothing like listening to a Moron who traded Roberto Loungo & Olli Jokinen for Mark Parrish & Oleg Kvasha & traded 1st pick in the draft that became Jason Spezza, Zdeno Chara & Bill Muckalt for Alexei Yashin & called Badger Bob Johnson the Professor of Goonism when the Pens were beating the shit out of the Big Bad Bruins \

But you AMWing fans have fun

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 10:51 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Maybe he ran out of 12 yr old kids to threaten

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 10:52 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

But you AMWing fans have fun

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 08:51 PM ET

Got any other oldie-but-goodies to trot out?

I think Milbury forgot to mention the part where he’d pull off Crosby’s skate and beat him with it.

I will say this about Milbury.  Finally somebody in the MSM is calling a spade a spade in regard to Sid.  Crosby has spent his whole career playing it both ways with stuff like this, its nice to see somebody holding his feet to the fire.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/02/12 at 11:00 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

But you AMWing fans have fun

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 08:51 PM ET

You do realize you’re 10X worse than any Wings fans on here right?  You always insinuate that Wings fans blindly bash all things Pittsburgh because we simply don’t like the Pens, but you just assume that everything a Wings fan says is rubbish because we’re Wings fans.  Truth is there isn’t 1 thing I said that wasn’t true, but you don’t actually read what other people write, just look at the avatar and start calling names.  You’ve been here long enough, grow up and actually contribute something worthwhile for once.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/02/12 at 11:01 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

John W.  UMMMMMMMMMMMMM OK I thought about it & ............. NAH I’ll stay the same

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 11:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

no you are AMWing fans

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 11:04 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/02/12 at 07:05 PM ET

So making light of concussions is an intelligent thing to do?

The other things, okay, he’s got a point.  Crosby’s a competitor and a sore loser.  But he’s been a LOT better this time back than he was last time back.  Hasn’t been sticking his nose into scrums, he’s just been playing hard.

Yesterday’s game was chippy…and so what if he was trying to bait Schenn into a penalty?  A powerplay goal can spark your team.

Everything is magnified because it’s Crosby.  I’m glad to have him back, but, I sure didn’t miss this bullshit.  That’s for sure.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/02/12 at 11:23 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

NAH I’ll stay the same

I’d sooner expect a fork to sing me an aria than for this statement to not be true.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 11:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 09:24 PM ET

How sure are you about that?

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 09:04 PM ET

Somebody catch me as I’m about to faint with surprise.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/02/12 at 11:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

THAT’S NOT AN ARIA

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 12:00 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

THAT’S NOT AN ARIA

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 10:00 PM ET

Oh so now you’re an art critic too….

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/12 at 12:05 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Damned perfectionist.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/03/12 at 12:21 AM ET

I am not really sure what Milbury or even the wing fans here are complaining about.  If someone is trying to suggest that Crosby doesnt take his fair share of hits during a game, that is a crazy argument.  What people have suggested (Mainly Cherry and even Milbury) in the past is that Crsoby should stay away from the physical stuff and it will allow him to have a longer career.

Sid himself has said he will try to do that, but it is not in his nature.  So what?

Milbury stating that Sid is not the “sweet kid you see in interviews” is not something Sid cares about.  Shit, have you ever seen Mike Tyson in an interview.  Sid most certainly plays physical, gives as many cheap shots as he takes, and plays on the edge some times… but there are a hundred other NHL players that do this every day as well.  The Fact that he is the best player in the league, or one of the best for arguments sake, and the league is accustomed to having those types of players staying away from the walls, and the after-the-whistle type stuff is of no concern to Crosby.

More people should applaud that than attack it.  I for one like watching an Iginla type player, one who has the skill and toughness, than a Gabork or Semin kind of player…. with a ton of skill and no toughness at all.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/03/12 at 12:27 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

and the after-the-whistle type stuff is of no concern to Crosby.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/02/12 at 10:27 PM ET

Not true.  Start this video @ 3:00.  Crosby’s jawing at the Philadelphia bench almost started the melee all over again.

Lets not forget about this occasion either.

Its a good thing he has Aaron Asham around to finish what he begins.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/12 at 12:49 AM ET

He couldn’t help himself because there’s a little punk in Crosby.

Fuchin’ Awesome

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/03/12 at 10:12 AM ET

Lets not forget about this occasion either.

Its a good thing he has Aaron Asham around to finish what he begins.

I think you missunderstood what i was saying.  When i am saying it is of no concern to him, i am saying that the idea that he should stay away from the after-the-whistle stuff is of no concern to him.  Of course is he involved in that stuff… which is the whole point of my entire post.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/03/12 at 10:51 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by NIVO on 04/02/12 at 07:49 PM ET

Have you watched teams play against Crosby? In fact, I think guys relish defending against someone like Crosby and getting their opportunity to get their shots in on him because when you are competing at the highest level, you want to go toe-to-toe with the best to show what you can do.

Crosby definitely has had a punk attitude for most of his career, but a couple things about that: 1) he’s clearly a much better leader and more mature the last couple years than prior (say what you will for the reasons) and 2) he’s still pretty young. It’s expecting a lot of a young guy like Crosby to come into the league even younger, with so much talent and hype, and handle everything with aplomb. Cut him a little slack.

Lastly, who cares if he was trying to bait Schenn into a penalty? The flop certainly appeared to be dramatic, but baiting guys into calls is a huge part of the game, and almost every player in the league does it. Let’s not act like our own shit doesn’t stink. Is Zetterberg not trying to get a call when he goes wide and uses his arm to try and get it to look like a defender’s stick is up in his mid-section? What about the “good ol’ days” when we had Maltby running around jawing at everything in sight, hoping and expected to get punched in the face to draw a roughing call? Or Homer sitting on the edge of the crease waiting for some contact from a D-man as an excuse to back into the goalie a little more?

These are parts of the game that are natural and should be expected. It is nauseating when guys jerk their heads back or take obvious dives. If you want to rag on Crosby for doing that, sure, he probably has deserved the criticism in spades. But to rag on him for generally getting in scrums, talking trash, and baiting players into penalties… is just silly. Green is an ugly color on most people…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/03/12 at 11:24 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/03/12 at 08:51 AM ET

I stand corrected.  Cheers.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/12 at 11:35 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Let’s not act like our own shit doesn’t stink.

Thank you.  For whiny-fvck sake.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 02:26 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/03/12 at 12:26 PM ET

So glad you could be bothered to contriute to the conversation.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 02:37 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Seconding a comment is a non-contribution?
This “conversation” is just a bunch of bitching.  Someone said something that’s actually objective, rather than, “we played you in the playoffs and we will hate you forever as a result”, and I am applauding.
Not like I waded in swinging.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 04:37 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Apparently that’s not quite as legit as what you had to contriute.  Which is funny because the vast majority of comments from you and your gang are simple “what-he-said’s”.

Either you are proud of the actual Detroit past, or you are righteous about being the only team that doesn’t scrum…..but I don’t see how you can have it both ways.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 05:07 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/03/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Rather than posting the snarky response I started to type, I will simply say this:

It sure looks to me as if you are joining the thread simply to call the participants “whiny-fvcks.”  That, to me, is pretty close to “wading in swinging,” especially when the “conversation” involves people you have had an adversarial relationship with in the past.  You could have easily seconded the statement without the personal attack.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 05:25 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/03/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Interesting that you feel entitled to group me with whoever you want.  It’s particularly funny that you do so in a conversation in which I had no part until you showed up.  And even funnier that you do it all after acting innocent and taken aback when I grouped you with all the other trolling sh!t-disturbers (and based on your actions in the past I have a pretty good reason to do so).

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 05:30 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

And thanks for pointing out a typo.  Now it is completely apparent what you can, and will, contribute to the conversation.  Yes, I am proud of Detroit’s past and I don’t believe for a second that Detroit doesn’t scrum.  So, I guess, there is nothing to be righteous about?  I’m sure you are very proud of Vancouver’s past.  Ya know, all those banners hanging from the rafters must make your chest swell.

(Please proof read that for me like a good minimum-wage secretary.  Oh, and get me some coffee while you’re at it.)

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 05:38 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I guess since your name, photo, and comments are indistinct from the 1000 other dudes like you, I somehow lost track of where you fit in.

a conversation in which I had no part until you showed up

So who’s the troll?  My post was related to the topic, whereas you stopped in to troll my post.
Yes I am calling these posts whiny, yes I am in the tiny minority that doesn’t think insults are a somekind of outrageous affront.

Is it a crazy assumption to lump you into with the opinion I am criticizing, since you you have a problem with my criticism?  Or are you simply moved to post because profanity really bugs you?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 05:42 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Okay man.
I’m not sure what this is actually about since it sounds like you are agreeing with the post that I seconded.
I guess it is personal.  What can I say?  Maybe we’ll get a chance to spar over an actual issue.  Probably though, you will just block me so that the only posts you see are Wing cheer-leaders bitching about how shxtty it is that the average competitiveness around the league is too high to keep you in a rightful place of unquestioned dominance.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 05:47 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Why don’t I just make a post for you, and you can correct me if I’m wrong:

BlandWingsGuy#9000 :
    -“Man I hate the salary cap, we should be allowed to spend the most.
    -Man I hate every team that we’ve ever played - the refs love them.
    -The refs hate us.
    -Our team doesn’t get enough constant fellatio from the media everywhere, all the time.
    -I hate the stars on every other team.  They’re divers.
    -I personally had something to do with my team’s victories, so I can look down on fans of less successful franchises.
    -We should be awarded 2 points just for showing up and helping to sell tickets.
    -Actually, scrap that, there should just be 4 teams in the league, and the other three should know their place.”

Did I miss anything, Yzerman?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 06:10 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/03/12 at 04:10 PM ET

As long as it is fair for you to stereotype me, then I shall return the favor and just assume you are a frustrated jacka$$ who has to riot in his own city and bemoan how unfairly your team was treated in last year’s playoffs.  And when that isn’t enough to make you forget about the deficiencies in your own life you resort to crying on every forum you can find about the Blackhawks and Bruins and how “Duncan Keith deserved a headshot from Daniel, but should have been evicted from the league for his retaliation.”  But, since even that topic of discussion isn’t relevant anymore, you choose to distract yourself from your pathetic life by entering random forum threads and throwing about insults.  And, no, an insult itself isn’t outrageous, but expecting others to “just let it go” is.  Just like the majority of your posts, it contributes nothing and just stirs up sh*t.  Not to mention you are essentially doing that which you complained about in your first post: whining.  Whining about another fan base, no less.

But now someone has called you on it.  And that means you now have a target on which you can vent the rage stemming from your own self-loathing and dissapointment in life. You have a target at which you can direct bumbling attacks and unoriginal, hackneyed insults.  Perhaps even, this transparent attempt to shift the disussion away from my original point will go unnoticed like so many of the “accomplishments” in your life.

You came into the thread trolling and insulting, contributing nothing.  You were called on it and didn’t have the good grace to let it go at that.  So, wipe he Cheetos dust from your fingers, the tears from your eyes, and the sticky stuff from your keyboard before you hammer out another angry response that lacks any sort of self-respect, coherent thought, or clever prose.  Keep giving us a sideshow to watch and a chuckle each time you click “submit.”  Just remember, regardless of whether or not you type that response, your inferiority complex is painfully obvious to the rest of us and we are embarassed for you, even if you don’t have the common sense to be embarassed for yourself.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 11:26 PM ET