Evening Line

“I just stuck around because I wanted to say what a piece of [feces] I think Lucic is. Fifty pounds on me, and he runs me like that? It’s unbelievable. Everyone in this city see him as a big, tough, solid player. I respected him for how hard he plays. That was gutless. Gutless. Piece of [feces].”

-Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres talking about the hit (video) he received from Boston’s Milan Lucic.  More from John Vogl of Sabres Edge.

added 1:43am 11/13/11, Watch the video below as Miller comments on Lucic.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: milan+lucic, ryan+miller

Comments

Primis's avatar

*slow clap*

Posted by Primis on 11/13/11 at 01:58 AM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

I guess being on the same team as Patrick Kaleta gives Ryan Miller perspective on pieces of shit.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 11/13/11 at 06:33 AM ET

Lucic is a POS for sure… but that has nothing to do with this incident.  To me, looking at the video, it almost looked like Miller got his elbows up first before Lucic did.

Also, i do not understand the argument that Lucic should not have hit him because he weighs 50 lbs more than miller?  I don’t think i ever heard that as an argument for someone to avoid a hit in hockey.

If Miller comes out in open ice like that, he needs to be prepared to take a hit (accidental or on purpose).

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/13/11 at 11:24 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Thus getting his arms up to protect himself. But that he should be fully braced for a hit is ridiculous. I don’t care for goalies having complete immunity anywhere on the ice either, but that’s the rule and everyone knows it.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/13/11 at 12:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Both you guys missed the point entirely.

For a guy like Ryan Miller (not exactly a media quote machine) to come out and make that quote, on the record… that’s a beautiful thing.

That quote fans the flames, it will practically demand that the league make a statement on it now one way or another (thus acknowledging it)... and it also backhandedly calls out his teammates for not responding.

Miller might get fined for his quote, but more than that with the harsh nature of his quote he has practically guaranteed we’ll be talking about it now for the next few days and forcing people to take sides on the issue.

Well played, Ryan Miller.  Well played.

Posted by Primis on 11/13/11 at 12:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ryan Miller is right about Lucic being a piece of shit and whether you think goalies should be fair game or not, taking a 30-foot run at a guy is a dirty play, whether or not the guy’s wearing pads.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/13/11 at 01:53 PM ET

Totally agree with you on this one J.J., this hit was garbage and Lucic is a tool. Primis i think you’re reading WAY too much into this statement from Miller. I think this is just a case of a player being really angry over a dirty play and expressing himself. If it was as calculated as you say i doubt Miller would have said “piece of shit” which practically guarantees he will be fined.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/13/11 at 04:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/13/11 at 01:25 PM ET

You misunderstand me.

I like it because it’s NOT calculated.  My “well played” is one of sarcasm, and the consequences are ones that probably are still true.  My point was that for as calculating and robotic as these guys often are, sometimes them just speaking what they really feel and mean will get as good or a better result.

Honestly, I like the quote because for once, a toolbag player with a rep for being dirty (before he had ever played a single NHL game) did something, and afterwards an NHLer stood up a called him literally a “piece of sh*t” <u>on the record</u>.  Too often these guys don’t say what we’re all thinking, and sanitize it.  Too often they’re afraid to put up bulletin board material.

But no, Ryan Miler called Milan Lucic a “piece of sh*t”.  He didn’t call him a “knucklehead”, or a “goon”, or make inferences to him being an AHL-caliber player.  He skipped the preliminary stuff and just called him a “piece of sh*t” and basically threw down the gauntlet.

You have to love that.  And yes it’s very true that by saying it he also left it in the hands of him team to now “take care of” next time, or any other time in the future.  We’ll all be watching the next time they meet up.

Posted by Primis on 11/13/11 at 05:00 PM ET

Well in that case I agree with you wholeheartedly. It certainly is refreshing to see someone speaking their mind in any sport. I have heard enough cliches to last a lifetime.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/14/11 at 12:05 AM ET