Evening Line

“The guy’s 8 feet tall, and he’s jumping a player. That doesn’t translate as being very tough in my eyes.  I’m emotional just like everybody else. When you see that happening to your own players, you wanna ... you know, I had some choice words, too, but it is what it is.”

-Cam Ward of the Carolina Hurricanes talking about Zdeno Chara jumping in on a scuffle in front of the Canes net.  Watch that below and more from Ward by Mike Cole of NESN.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cam+ward, zdeno+chara

Comments

DocF's avatar

Chara is a real anus.  He never goes after a player who is anywhere near his size.  That tells me he is a coward and a bully.  He cannot skate; watch him, he is terrible.  His only real asset is that he is huge.

I have had less use for that big thug as time has gone by.  Tonight, I lost what little respect I had left for him.

Cam Ward is a real pro and he shut down the Stanley Cup chumpions twice already this season.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 10/19/11 at 01:25 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

That was awesome. It’s not his fault that no one is as big as he is.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 10/19/11 at 01:36 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

for me it looked like the other guy started, chara just came in to help. the carolina guy should know that chara is out on the ice, now he’ll think twice before starting trouble again.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 10/19/11 at 05:09 AM ET

for me, the real story there is how the canes guy crosschecked Lucic (I think) right on the neck area, right in front of the crease, and that started it all
You can see it happening rally fast on the replay, when they both get to crosscheck each other

As I see it, Chara saw that crosscheck and went over to “tell” him not to do that again… Got his minutes for fighting and instigator, and thats it

Nothing more to see here

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 10/19/11 at 07:12 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m tired of guys whining about Chara because he’s so frickin’ huge.

Chara does NOT start stuff, but he certainly now finishes it once it’s started.  And if guys are really so scared of him, then they should behave on the ice.  Otherwise STFU and take it like a man.

Bruins were a clown act last night anyways.  My fantasy team’s PIM’s thanks them for that but it was a joke, and even NESN homer propagandists Edwards and Brickley couldn’t find a way to spin it into something good.

Posted by Primis on 10/19/11 at 09:06 AM ET

Chara does NOT start stuff, but he certainly now finishes it once it’s started.

Well, he kinda started the fight (as it was nothing but a scrum before his sucker punch) and didn’t really do much finishing…

Posted by Garth on 10/19/11 at 10:19 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

There were 2 Canes hassling Horton after the whistle and Chara stepped in.
I have no problem with that.  If the league is going to continue to ignore cheap shots
after the whistle…sh*t is going to continue.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 10/19/11 at 11:05 AM ET

Did it?  Or did Jay Harrison taking a crosscheck to the neck from Nathan Horton start it?

There were 2 Canes hassling Horton after the whistle and Chara stepped in.

Interesting, because on the video I see two Hurricanes tusseling with two Bruins, then a third Bruin charging in at the same time as Chara joins the fray.  So yeah, if four Bruins on two Hurricanes is what you call two Hurricanes hassling Horton, then I guess you’re right.

Posted by Garth on 10/19/11 at 11:42 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

I have no problem with what Chara did. It would have been nothing if that second Carolina player hadn’t joined in. If teams want to start stuff while he’s on the ice, they better be prepared to deal with him.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/19/11 at 12:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Meh…Chara barged in when he had no business charging in. Horton and Harrison were exchanging pleasantries. Yes there was another Hurricane there whom quickly was grabbed by another Bruin. Chara comes in and decks Harrison. Pathetic excuse for a Captain.

RE: Lucic…I have yet to see a crosscheck. If anything Lucic comes in when Chara does (or right after and crosschecks a Hurricane in the chest.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/19/11 at 12:24 PM ET

All of this talk about Chara has distracted everyone from the REAL douche on that team…Nathan Horton.

Posted by godblender on 10/19/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Ward’s comments about Rask are very disrespectful. He is in no position to get on the high horse about Chara’s supposed lack of toughness.

Posted by we work with persons on 10/20/11 at 12:42 PM ET