Evening Line

via Bob McKenzie tweet,

Not saying PHX will trade RFA dman Keith Yandle, but my sense is PHX will gauge his trade value as it considers all options (trade or sign).

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: keith+yandle

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

Tick. Tock.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/02/11 at 12:14 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

Exactly what I’m thinking Master Chief.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 07/02/11 at 12:25 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Yandle’s RFA rights for Hudler‘s KHL rights?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/02/11 at 12:36 AM ET

awould's avatar

I will personally drive to Yandle’s house and pack his belongings to move him to Detroit and take back everything I’ve said about Holland and the Ericsson deal.

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 12:36 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Yandle’s RFA rights for Hudler‘s KHL rights?

Anders Eriksson and 2 first round picks did get us Chelios.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/02/11 at 12:46 AM ET

awould's avatar

Hudler and Ericsson and a low draft pick.

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 12:47 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Got room for one more??

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/11 at 12:54 AM ET

Road trip!

Posted by godblender on 07/02/11 at 12:55 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They’re not trading Ericsson. Get ready to accept losing Kindl.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/02/11 at 12:57 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

They’re not trading Ericsson. Get ready to accept losing Kindl.

And put Ericsson and his 3.25 on the third pairing?  No way. Kenny won’t bite. Dammit.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/02/11 at 01:03 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

That right there might be one of the few players I’d be willing to lose Filppula over. Or Tatar. Or even Smith.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/02/11 at 01:16 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why would the cash-strapped Coyotes want Ericsson over Kindl?

Why would Holland pull the same shit on the Wings that Wilson pulled on Setoguchi with a sign-and-trade?

I’d love to have a $3.25M defenseman on the third pairing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/02/11 at 01:38 AM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Losing smith or Fil for yandle just isn’t worth it in my opinion. If there were some decent ufa options at center I’d say why not part with Fil.  There isn’t.  How about Kindl and hudler?  Maybe even a late round draft choice.

Posted by Neznarf on 07/02/11 at 01:42 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Phuck Yandle after blatantly tripping (more like slashing) Z and sending him head-first into the boards 2 years ago.

I’d take Commode Odor over him.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/02/11 at 01:52 AM ET

I’d love to have a $3.25M defenseman on the third pairing.

Even if he’s really a less than @2M defenseman…

Posted by Garth on 07/02/11 at 01:55 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Yandle is a good defenseman. I’d be happy to have him on the team. If we could unload Hudler for him, even better. He’d fill Raffi’s skates well.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/02/11 at 02:53 AM ET

awould's avatar

The diference is Setoguchi took a home team discount and got screwed over while Ericsson took more than he was worth, more than he could realistically expect to earn, and is owed nothing. Teach him the hard way that it is a business that works both ways. Send him packing to Phoenix. I live here, my car’s thermometer clocked in at 117 degrees at 5pm today… Let that Swede deal with this shit!

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 04:09 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by awould on 07/01/11 at 10:36 PM ET

I call shotgun!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/02/11 at 04:16 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 02:09 AM ET

Well said.  lol.  I would fall in love with Holland all over again if there was a sign and trade of Ericsson and we got rid of hudler for the rights to negotiate with Yandle.  Of course in plutonic way.  It would teach Ericsson a lesson for being a money hungry ungrateful gump to be sent to the desert for that crappy coyotes team.  It would get rid of worthless Hudler.  And we’d get our top 4 guy (arguably top 2) on d.  Yandle is a great player.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/02/11 at 04:21 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by awould on 07/01/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Got room for one more??

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/01/11 at 10:54 PM ET

But I totally called shotgun.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/02/11 at 04:22 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

I gotta say, I think Yandle’s game is a far better fit for the Wings than any of the UFA defensemen available this year.  I was pissed at the time, but I’m thinkin’ I could probably manage to let go of his cheap shot on Z if this trade were to go down.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/02/11 at 04:48 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

But I totally called shotgun.

Hell, I’ll ride in the trunk to seal that deal….

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/11 at 01:54 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 02:09 AM ET

He did NOT take more than he could realistically expect to earn, he took LESS than he could realistically expect to earn.  Ericsson could have realistically expected $3.5M or more from a team looking for the big body with a cup ring or even more than that from a team looking to get to the floor.

And you want to pull the “it’s just business” shit and throw the Red Wings reputation as an organization that treats players the right way just because you’re pissed that Holland and some of the best hockey minds in the business see in Ericsson that you apparently can’t.

Kindl is the MUCH better trade option for Yandle’s rights.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/02/11 at 01:59 PM ET

awould's avatar

Sure Ericsson could have gotten a bigger contract. That does not mean he will EARN that much. It is called being overpaid, which was a common theme of the day that he exploited and guys like Eaves and Miller did not. You know, team players who recognize and value loyalty.

I do not disagree that Kindl may be a better trade option, but me preference is Ericsson. And i do not think it classless to treat Ericsson with the same deference he treated the team. And forgive me for not ignoring a slew of anti-Ericsson talk from you too over the past weeks when you jump on the high horse of acting like i am an idiot for not agreeing with the best hockey minds in the business. Their track record has not been perfect even if it has been awesome. Hatcher, Krupp, Williams twice… Add Ericsson to that list.

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 03:55 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Go ahead and bring every single negative thing I’ve said about Ericsson to bear.

Feel free to use the fact that I analyzed every single Red Wings game this season and found Ericsson to be statistically the worst player on the team.  That doesn’t change a goddamn thing.

This isn’t about Ericsson, it’s about the Red Wings. Trading him right after signing him is a dick move.

I don’t get where Ericsson is this big selfish doofus for taking less money than even you agree he could have gotten elsewhere.  Here’s this big jerk who hears Chris Chelios talk about how they expect him to be a #2 D-man of the future and possibly a #1 who is looking at what turns into the likelihood that he could get 750,000 more dollars elsewhere and suddenly he’s this me-first cockgobbler when he signs for about a million more than what our magical groupthink naively assigned to his value?

I’m scared as hell that Ericsson isn’t going to EARN even close to 80% of that salary and I’m by no means thrilled that he got it, but saying shit like he’s selfish for taking it is downright stupid.

Ken Holland is about to hit his 14th anniversary as the Red Wings’ general manager and all you’ve got to throw in his face is four contracts.  Hell, let’s even call the Lang trade a horrible bust.  Compared to the rest of the league, Holland may still be human, but he’s sure as shit better than every other option (including all the wannabe GMs among the fans who expect Holland to apparently have a big bottle of rohypnol among his bag of tricks to pull of some of the asinine shit people have been demanding he do).

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/02/11 at 04:11 PM ET

awould's avatar

You just agreed Ericsson has not and likely will not earn that money. You take offense that I point out a list of failures and act like I am bagging all over Holland for being a failure when any reasonable reading of what i wrote is clear i am merely pointing out that Ericsson, in my opinion, is now on that admittedly short list.

You also agree that Ericsson has, to put it mildly, underperformed. But it is ok for you to have that opinion since you pledge your faith in Holland, but for me to outright say it is a mistake is somehow taunting the hockey god who runs the Wings. Blasphemy! All i am saying is, put Ericsson on that short list of failures on Holland’s otherwise “awesome” resume.

Also, I do think Ericcson is looking out for his own self interest, as he has a right to do since it is a tough business, but my point is that he is doing so more than we have come to expect from a guy who “really wants to play in Detroit”, and that is aggravated even more by the fact that he hasn’t done anything to EARN IT.

As for your standing behind Holland and trusting them, great. This way, if Ericsson succeeds you were totally right to defend Holland and if he fails, you were totally right to doubt Ericsson. I have total faith in Holland and Co to run this team, keep them competitive and bring us a Cup every few years. But there have been some bad signings and this is one of them, Everyone keeps hoping now that Ericsson has a bigger role, he will step up. What else is there to hope for really? That is the problem with him, to me. He should have stepped up to earn that bigger role and he hasn’t. The difference between Fischer and Ericsson, both ironically and tragically, is heart.

As for a sign and trade, it would bother me and you are right that it is not the Red Wings way. I am annoyed at this contract and maybe took that part too far. But this, to me, might be a case where the exception proves the rule; after seeing a slew of talent come through Detroit for less money, with the most recent Eaves and Miller, i really don’t think Ericsson took too much of a hit to stay and even more so when he isn’t worth it. He dangled free agency over the team and then got lucky when dbags like Tallon opened up their minimum salary cap floor wallets and started a feeding frenzy.  Whatever money he left on the table will be paid back in spades from him padding his stats as the worst top 4 D on the best team in the league.

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 08:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ericsson hasn’t played one minute as a $3.25M defenseman in the role designed for that pay structure.  He played several games over the last couple of seasons where he was hit-and-miss.  All I’m saying in response to this is that calling Ericsson’s contract a failure at this point is outright jumping the gun.  In response to the obvious, yes, you’re right that nothing he has done to this point has earned him the $3.25M salary. Lots of players get raises based on what the team views as potential yet-to-be-realized (Val Filppula for instance).

No, I do not think that he is going to be able to live up to the enhanced expectations on him and, like you, I absolutely hope he does.  But, I don’t give out failing grades for classes that haven’t even started.

I am really not concerned with any sort of “I told you so” or “I knew it all along” bullshit.  Regardless of what happens, I am totally right to defend Holland and I am totally right to doubt Ericsson. Nothing that happens in the future is going to change either of those things.

That was the entire crux of my argument in the first place. I’m glad we could come to an understanding on that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/02/11 at 08:48 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Whoa.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/02/11 at 08:52 PM ET

awould's avatar

my opinion is the contract is a mistake and will prove to be a mistake. Any opinion on a player’s future performance is outright jumping the gun. Sorry for disagreeing with you on one half of your opinion. 90% of this sites readers, yourself included if i am not mistaken, were ready to let Ericsson walk for anything hovering near $2.5MM. So now that overpaying players is the rule of the day it somehow makes sense? Maybe so. But I doubt Ericsson is a Red Wing when his contract ends. And getting something in trade is probably the only way to salvage the deal. Maybe that is plan B for Holland.

Posted by awould on 07/02/11 at 09:10 PM ET