Evening Line

“I don’t know what the obsession is about things coming out of my mouth. Maybe because of the career I had or the reputation I had for being outspoken. But the media really loves when I say something controversial, and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. Fifty percent of the people really love me, and 50 percent don’t like me at all.”

—Jeremy Roenick, in a North Country Times interview

Filed in: NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeremy+roenick, nbc, versus

Comments

Jeremy, it’s because you have no filter between your brain and your mouth!

Posted by Thornton Fan from San Jose on 05/21/11 at 09:27 PM ET

Jeremy, it’s because you have no filter between your brain and your mouth!

Yep, that is what makes him interesting.

Posted by timbits on 05/21/11 at 09:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

It’s not an obsession, it’s just that your attempt at forthrightness crosses over to stupidity sometimes.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/11 at 10:14 PM ET

I know Jeremy personally and professionally (outside of hockey), and the quote above “it’s because you have no filter between your brain and your mouth!” is true.

He’s one of the most genuine people I know.  As you saw last year when the Hawks won the Cup, JR really wanted to win above everything else.  Money means little.

I’m a Wings fan, and JR once told me about how in 02, Bowman wanted him, but Chelios, Hasek and Shanahan went to Ken Holland and lobbied for Robittaille instead.  You know why?  JR told me that early in his career he was a big headed egotistical a$$.

He also told me that it was probably his fault, because he was an a$$ early in his career, because unlike many players, he never really worked to earn his place in the NHL, his talent was good enough to get him there.

In my opinion JR is one of the best 50 players to ever play.

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 05/21/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Fifty percent of the people really love me, and 50 percent don’t like me at all

Replace “my family” for “the people”, and you probably have a pretty accurate statement.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/22/11 at 12:20 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

50% can’t believe what they’re hearing and stay attentive like rubbernecking at a car wreck, the other 50% can’t believe anyone put a microphone in front of this douchebag.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/22/11 at 12:49 AM ET

I am a SJ fan and had no problems with what he said about Marleau. I am with the 50% that like him. My understanding about douche bags is that they are made in Akron. haha

Posted by hockey Rob from San Jose on 05/22/11 at 02:05 PM ET