Evening Line

My goodness. The biggest collapse in Canadian national junior history. Stunning to watch it all unfold. 5-3 Russia.

-Damien Cox on Twitter.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+canada, team+russia

Comments

What an unbelievable game.  Truly incredible.  The monumental shift in emotion, I can’t imagine what it must be like to be one of the players on either of those two teams.  Just incredible.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 01/06/11 at 01:25 AM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

AWESOME

Posted by Denver Wings on 01/06/11 at 02:16 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Pretty Epic meltdown. Full credit to the Russians for staying in it and coming on strong in the third, though.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 01/06/11 at 02:41 AM ET

datsyukdanglesyou's avatar

So… Canada is still the best in hockey, right Canadians?  You guys still own the sport at every level and all the time, right?  Okay, cool.  Just checking.

Posted by datsyukdanglesyou on 01/06/11 at 04:30 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Love the anit-Canadian sentiments on these boards.
Last time I checked Canada still has the most gold medals in this tournament.
And last I checked, we finished in the gold-medal round 10 years in a row. Not too shabby. Oh, and last I checked, since allowing pro’s at the Olympics, we’ve won 2 golds including wins over the US. Twice.
Ooh, lookie here, over the last last 10 playoffs, 6 MVP’s have been Canadian.
One meltdown in a JUNIOR tournament should not equate to Canada being replaced as the #1 hockey country in the world. Which it is.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Canada didn’t even have it’s best players in the tournament.
Lets take a look at some of the missing talent, shall we?
Taylor Hall, Tyler Sequin, Matt Duschene, John Tavares, Tyler Myers - to name only a few.
For every 1 US or Russian NHL player under 20, Canada can name 5.

If every country sent their absolute best under-20’s to the tourney, Canada wouldn’t lose a period.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/11 at 11:51 AM ET

Posted by datsyukdanglesyou on 01/06/11 at 01:30 AM ET

Um, I think your inferiority complex is showing…

Posted by Garth on 01/06/11 at 02:59 PM ET

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/11 at 08:51 AM ET

I’m awaiting the announcement that they’re going to dismantle Hockey Canada and abolish the CHL since it’s clear that the hockey world has passed Canada by.

Because of one bad period.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/11 at 03:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That was a hell of a time to have one bad period.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/06/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Because of one bad period.

LOL. No doubt.

That was a hell of a time to have one bad period.

It sure was.
But that’s why there’s a big difference between the NHL and teenage players.
These are kids afterall. They’re going to make mistakes. And it doesn’t help them if an entire country moans and groans about it. Nobody’s going to feel worse about that loss than those boys. It’s something that will hang around their necks for their entire playing careers.
So we as Canadians have to cut them some slack. I’m still proud of how they played. Especially when they weren’t favored to win the gold or even silver.

But man did Russia show a tonne of heart to come back and beat a team with such an obvious home-field advantage. Good for them.

The World Jr.‘s are always a blast to watch and the hockey is highly entertaining.
I can’t wait for next years.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/11 at 03:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Or that a group of people from that country threw beer cans at the victors.

Canada is still the World’s #1 hockey superpower, but I was glad to see them lose.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/06/11 at 04:58 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Or that a group of people from that country threw beer cans at the victors.

I guess we should just paint everyone with the same brush, then huh?

If that’s the case, I guess everyone in the US is a gun-toting, bible-quoting, racist who wants all homosexuals to fall into a puddle of AIDs.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/11 at 05:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I guess we should just paint everyone with the same brush, then huh?

That’s why I said “A group of people” instead of “the fans” or “The Canadians”

Chill out.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/06/11 at 05:26 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

That’s why I said “A group of people” instead of “the fans” or “The Canadians”

Chill out.

And yet you felt the need to point out you were glad a team lost based on that few.
There are many Canadians who are proud of our hockey teams and players but don’t feel the need to be jerks about it.

I’m sure a lot of KK members would be up in arms if a Canadian said he was glad the US baseball team lost the WBC because some drunk Americans threw bottles at team Japan for winning.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/11 at 05:32 PM ET

That was a hell of a time to have one bad period.

You’re absolutely right.

These teenage boys didn’t put the skate to the throat like the best organization in the NHL always does.

Right?

Posted by Garth on 01/06/11 at 05:38 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I’m glad they lost because of one Canadian in particular, Don Cherry.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 01/06/11 at 05:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Right?

Posted by Garth on 01/06/11 at 02:38 PM ET

You got me.  Continue to minimize the greatest choke-job I’ve seen by a Canadian National junior team because they’re not the only ones to have ever done it.  Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You inferred that was the only reason…  There have been many more instances of boorish behavior; that just happened to be the worst.

Mostly though, I’m glad that Canada lost because they beat the US.

Give me back my wide paintbrush, I wasn’t done using it yet!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/06/11 at 06:04 PM ET

You’re right, I’m minimizing it because guess what?  It DOES happen.  And wow, it’s such a huge crime to not dwell on a loss by a team of players who have yet to even begin their careers, isn’t it?  You’re certainly not unduly elevating it simply because you’re able to feel better because the team that spanked your team didn’t win the next game, are you?

Which I find odd anyway.  Why do you feel better at our loss?  You should feel worse, because your team had the exact same opportunity that the Russians and your team was able to do exactly nothing in terms of a comeback.

If anything, it makes your team look worse by comparison.

I’m sorry, am I drawing comparisons that aren’t there?  I guess you’d know nothing about that, right?

But yeah, go ahead and find some sort of pathetic victory in this even though the team you were rooting for had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And hey, have fun planning the “We Couldn’t Beat Canada But Someone Else Could, So I’m Going To Pretend We Had Something To Gain From It” parade route, OK?

Maybe you can use the same route that was used for the “We Almost Beat Canada In the Olympics” parade.

Posted by Garth on 01/06/11 at 08:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s called schadenfreude.

But that was a nice rant.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/06/11 at 08:18 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

There’s the Garth we’ve all known and loat…er…loved.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/06/11 at 09:01 PM ET