Evening Line

Carkner’s flicking gesture (seemingly of his own blood) toward NYR bench is something I’m not sure I have seen before.

I would imagine league will follow up in some fashion. Suspension? Fine? Stern words? Blood donor clinic? Beats me.

-Bob McKenzie of TSN via twitter.

added 10:34pm, Watch video of the incident below, as seen on Puck Central.

added 10:39pm, via tweet from James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen,

I’m told Carkner just denied it…I agree it doesn’t look good though.

added 10:53pm, the second video below is the fight between Carkner and Boogaard that preceded the blood incident.  Boogaard received a broken nose in the fight.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+carkner

Comments

If even a single drop of blood went flying from his fingers, I’d expect the hammer to come down on him. If not though, it could be anyones guess. Spin that wheel, Collie.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 12/10/10 at 02:49 AM ET

looked pretty benign to me, but you can’t really see anything.

Posted by callmedrw on 12/10/10 at 07:56 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

lol i thought he was doing sign language haha

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 12/10/10 at 09:47 AM ET

maybe that’s why he got the 10-minute game misconduct?

Posted by bsalamon on 12/10/10 at 10:25 AM ET

Flicking biological material that can contain transmittable viruses might even be a crime in the real world, outside of hockey (I have no idea about the laws in either the US nor Canada though) if it’s done with intent, even if it does not actually contain viruses.

Then again, the really weird thing about hockey and a select few other sports is that as soon as you’re on the ice, normal jurisdiction no longer applies. So grown men can hurt other grown men in ways that would result in long jail-sentences if it was done outside, and they can do it with 8 cameras recording it in high quality and slow-mo. So flicking blood might be perfectly acceptable too, save for some pseudo-moral outrage by Campbell.

A decent team wouldn’t miss Carkner if he goes on a little forced vacation, but the way Ottawa are playing they could really use his 0.07PtsPG smile

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 12/10/10 at 11:15 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Suspend him 87 games and tell him that next time he needs to just be a man and cross-check somebody in the face.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/10/10 at 11:17 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Meathead. That’s just stupid…I doubt the bench even thought that was taunting.

Sit him for 10. Maybe that’ll allow his IQ to thaw.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/10/10 at 11:41 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The league will botch whatever the call is, I’m not going to speculate.  What I thought was amazing was big ass Boogard gettin’ his nose broke then body slammed.  Did not see that coming.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/10/10 at 03:01 PM ET