Evening Line

“I want to talk about the matter of Colie Campbell and the e-mails and the assertion by some people on the Internet and in the media that some internal e-mails that he wrote three years ago somehow suggest his decisions on supplemental discipline have been in some way biased.

“There are a variety of unfortunate aspects to these assertions, and perhaps the most unfortunate of all is that the people making them have not had the opportunity to observe Colie’s professionalism and integrity. He brings that to every one of his many duties with the NHL day in and day out, year after year. He takes his job extremely seriously, and it is a very difficult job. He takes his service to the game, the teams and the players as seriously as any human being can and he is somebody of the utmost integrity, and that’s the way people around the League view him.”

Gary Bettman on Colin Campbell.  Read more at NHL.com.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: colin+campbell, gary+bettman

Comments

Boxcar's avatar

This whole story sickens me. How can the man in charge of supplemental discipline for any league send emails questioning calls against his own son?
I have also lost whatever respect I may have had for the mainstream hockey media, who may as well be called the NHL public relations department. Are they so terrified of offending the NHL management that they will sit on a story rather than report it because it sheds a bad light on a “good” guy like Colie.
I hope someone has the balls to ask a Bob Mackenzie type why they waited for a blogger to report this story?

Posted by Boxcar on 11/18/10 at 09:20 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

gary, you lost me at “I want to…....”

All white noise after that.

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/18/10 at 09:29 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Blah, bla ,bla,blah,blah…....BBARF!
“There is nothing wrong with our game”
“We have the best officials in sports”
“The League is healthy and trending upward..”

God, it gets tiring. Why doesn’t that dwarf just run for office and complete himself?

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/18/10 at 09:32 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Hey Gary! Now that we’ve seen the contents of these emails, we know Colin Campbell has no integrity or professionalism. You cannot simply ignore history, or try to change history by continually lying to the NHL fanbase!

Give it up, and can his ass already!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/18/10 at 09:34 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Oh, geez. I forgot to close my bold tag. Sigh.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/18/10 at 09:34 PM ET

Stop lying to us, you midget shrimp.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 11/18/10 at 09:40 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m no lawyer, but I’m pretty sure character witnesses -no matter how many you can drum up- do not overrule hard evidence.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/18/10 at 09:46 PM ET

inferno31's avatar

All this makes me think that league discipline should be done by committee and not a single person. We are all griping about Colin Campbell but you know if they fired him they’d replace him with someone just like him.

Posted by inferno31 on 11/18/10 at 09:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Spot-on, Nate.

Thing is, Bettman is a damn lawyer (is it any wonder we get a bad rap), and he knows that as well as anyone.

Here is another thing he should know - - an axiom of ethics is to “avoid the appearance of impropriety.”

Not only is Bettman a poor Commissioner, but by supporting unethical behavior, he is an unethical bastard as well.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/18/10 at 10:16 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

It makes me wonder if little Gary B actually read the released emails? To me, the mere usage of foul language in official communication is unprofessional. If this kind of email communication between a superior and a subordinate happened in a corporate environment, he’d at least get some sort of censure or, most likely, get canned for unprofessional conduct. Let alone of the ethical lines he appears to cross.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 11/18/10 at 10:16 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

How come all I can think of when I read this is:

“(Colie) you’re doing a heck of a job.”

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/18/10 at 10:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He’s right… we’ve been waiting all of this time for any hint that Colin Campbell has professionalism or integrity and he has yet to show it.  I would very much like to observe those things, but I’ve not been given the opportunity.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/18/10 at 10:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

J.J. said it before I could.  He said EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Posted by Primis on 11/18/10 at 10:52 PM ET

He must keep a template on his computer, and just fill in the appropriate items like a Mad Lib….

“Let’s see, ‘Colin Campbell’ in this blank here…wait, no, ‘Colie’ is better, makes me sound human…”

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 11/18/10 at 10:59 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

The ONLY media person to remotely question bettman at all, was Ron Mclean a year or two ago.

Bettman was squirming and became agitated at some of Ron’s questions.

I hate to judge people, but every instinct tells me gary is such an a-hole and sleeps like a baby and could care less what long time fans think.

I don’t like Bud Selig, but I could envision myself having a beer and discussing the game of baseball and what is good and not good about it, gary on the other hand, I would be hard pressed to not want to take a good shot at that little smirk he constantly sports if I ever got within arms reach.

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/19/10 at 12:05 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

This statement makes me less confident in the professionalism of the NHL, Bettman, and Campbell, if for nothing more than the fact that he repeatedly calls him, “Colie.”

If that doesn’t encapsulate the problem in a neat little package…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/19/10 at 09:20 AM ET

Instead of just collie how about Lassie since he’s the NHL’s little lap dog of non-discipline.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/19/10 at 11:23 AM ET