Evening Line

“(Howard) was kind of in a vulnerable position on his hands and knees and I didn’t want to clip him in the head.  “I tried to avoid him as best I could. I want to hit them all I can, but I don’t want to hit anyone in a vulnerable position.’‘

-Shane Doan of the Phoenix Coyotes describing how he injured himself by going shoulder first into the boards.  Via Ansar Khan of Mlive.

thanks to a KK member for the pointer

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shane+doan

Comments

redxblack's avatar

Why does Doan make it so hard to hate him sometimes?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/10 at 11:20 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

Cause he is classy guy

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/22/10 at 11:52 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

The corsi #‘s prove it

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/22/10 at 11:52 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Brenden Morrow did something very similar in the Olympics, both classy guys that I hate playing against.  He wouldn’t have had to aim for Jimmy’s head to hurt him, could have planted his knee solid to the kid’s ribs.

Don’t like how he got his elbows up a few times in the first two games of this series, but it won’t take long after this season is over for me to go back to liking him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/22/10 at 11:55 PM ET

original6dan's avatar

Why does Doan make it so hard to hate him sometimes?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/10 at 09:20 PM ET

... yet so easy at other times.

Posted by original6dan on 04/23/10 at 12:04 AM ET

What a humanitarian.  He almost blindsided Helm in the head after coming across half the ice in game 1 but I guess that doesn’t count right.  He’s been out of control since game 1.  Instant Karma’s gonna get you.

Posted by Phil from Montreal on 04/23/10 at 01:12 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

sometimes. The guy is a goon and a half, but he does play by a code.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/23/10 at 01:49 AM ET

...I don’t want to hit anyone in a vulnerable position.

Tell that to Kronwall and the half dozen or so other Wings you took a run at with your hands and elbows up at head-height, you douchebag.

I had always thought Doan was a tough but honorable player…until this series. As Phil notes, he’s been out of control since Game 1.

If the league didn’t own the Yotes, Doan would have been suspended for his head-hunting hit on Kronwall in Game 1. So I’m not the least bit sad that he hurt himself. Karma did, indeed, get him.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids on 04/23/10 at 02:17 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Agree, Doan and Morrow are both those types of guys you want on your team desperately, but cannot stand playing against. But this is a class thing for Doan to say, all the way.

I haven’t seen his play as dirty this series. I think he and Kronwall both started going at each other a bit, running away from the play to lay each other out, that’s why I’m willing to look the other way… yeah, Doan had his arms up on a couple of those hits, but Kronwall didn’t waste much time trying to return the favor.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/23/10 at 10:15 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Class act, Shane Doan.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/23/10 at 10:28 AM ET

I think when you’re in the heat of it all players might get over zealous and the elbows start coming up, but the video replay doesn’t lie, he really could’ve put a hurtin’ on our star goalie but didn’t.  Class all the way.  Doesn’t mean he doesn’t aggrivate the shit out of me when I think his bows are comin’ up and I’m always down to see someone take a run at him.. but I like the old time honor you don’t really see anymore with guys TRYING to injure people out east.

Posted by brad on 04/23/10 at 11:42 PM ET