Evening Line

“The game is much different now than when I played, the game is much different than when I coached. Once the response didn’t happen, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. Was I disappointed? Absolutely.

“I don’t care what team this is. It’s Opening Day today, right? Somebody puts a ball in the mid section or the ribs of one of your players, I would expect that at some point in the very near future, like immediately, someone is going to get one in the same spot. You’re going to go, 'OK, if you’re going to play that way, then we’re going to amp it up as well.' I was disappointed nothing happened, and especially when it didn’t happen right away, it wasn’t going to happen.”

-Eddie Olczyk, TV color analyst for the Chicago Blackhawks regarding the hit on Jonathan Toews from Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Olczyk was on 87.7 FM radio in Chicago and had more to say.  Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago has it covered.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eddie+olczyk

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Just one more quote to throw on the “yep, hes a tool” pile.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/31/14 at 07:08 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Less than a season and a half of coaching experience with a record of 31 wins and 64 losses, eh?

Please, tell me more about what it was like when you coached.

Posted by SK77 on 03/31/14 at 07:24 PM ET

Eddie is the biggest homer in the history of homers. I mean, when watching him on an NBC Hawks telecast is downright painful. Hey Eddie, GFY.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 03/31/14 at 07:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Please, tell me more about what it was like when you coached.

Posted by SK77 on 03/31/14 at 07:24 PM ET

“Well, lots of losses.  By a lot of goals.  And the drinking has made the rest hazy…”

Posted by Primis on 03/31/14 at 08:23 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Eddie olczyk’s only lasting contribution to hockey is Edzo Bingo, and I can’t even find that online anymore.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 03/31/14 at 08:24 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hey Gary do us a favor, grant Las Vegas a franchise ,and tell bruckheimer that he MUST hire olczyk as his coach , McGuire as his GM, and oh I don’t know…milbury as his Zamboni driver?

Problem(s) solved hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/31/14 at 08:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

Somebody puts a ball in the mid section or the ribs of one of your players

What Eddie O refers to here is called a dirty play, intent to injure and all that. What happened to Toews was a hard, clean hit that could’ve been avoided if he had been looking out for himself. I hate the ‘must avenge every clean hit’ crowd.

Posted by awould on 03/31/14 at 10:21 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Eddie O. Please just go away, and stay away.

Posted by bigfrog on 03/31/14 at 10:28 PM ET

whenever you see Eddie calling a national game between the blackhawks and ANYONE else just refer to this video
Is the NHL broadcast team so thin they cant have some dedicated national guys? *#$%@& joke.

Posted by brians neck on 03/31/14 at 11:37 PM ET