Evening Line

added 6:44pm,

added 6:56pm,

Again as I tweeted this morning, media leaks, players talking, not close to CBA being settled.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Larry’s voices are talking to him again !

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 07:46 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Paul Allen Walsh would talk to a Tombstone if there was a Mic there

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Just spoke with several players. They are bewildered the NHL plays these negotiation games unless facing with imminent Disclaimer.

And the NHL had the impertinence to file suit that the NHLPA was negotiating in bad faith.  This joke would be hysterical if the punchline wasn’t peoples’ livelihoods.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/03/13 at 08:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 07:13 PM ET

Don’t forget that adage about people in glass houses EP.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/03/13 at 08:16 PM ET

So let me see if I have this right.  A negotiating committee which chose to not begin to seriously negotiate until just before games were lost is bewildered and confused that a negotiating committee would bargain differently based on the presence or absence of other factors.

I’m bewildered that they are bewildered.

And that’s assuming for the moment what’s being said is actually true, which is it’s own particular gamble.

Assuming it is true, either Bettman’s a total idiot (always possible) and he actually thinks just because that deadline passed once it’s off the table, or he’s trying to goad the PA into filing the disclaimer so he can stop having to listen to the big-market doves who are losing money during the lockout and get on with the business of destroying the Union (again) so he can get the CBA he wants (again) in order to help the 20ish teams who aren’t doves and are saving money from the lockout.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/03/13 at 08:21 PM ET

Walsh is a bigger idiot than Bettman and Fehr combined, which is no small task…

Posted by xcheck28 on 01/03/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

EP, I would love to get the other side point of view, but they are not talking and others who want to talk are fined if they do.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 08:30 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 07:30 PM ET

I completely understand Paul! It is the final machinations before a deal

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:35 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Darren Dreger tweets,

Many reporting on HRR discussions and allegations the NHL failed to identify alterations to specific articles, deeply concerning for pa…

League source says all “changes” to Article 50 were highlighted and flagged and the union has had docs for a week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 08:40 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Darren Dreger

In other words Looney Larry & Brucey were WRONG

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OOOOPS sorry Paul !

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

[Andy Scott
@Andy_Scott15
A few trusty sources saying NHLPA - NHL deal will be announced tomorrow….. #FinalStretch #AboutTime
/em]

anyone know more than he is a NHLPA Certified Agent??

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No problem EP, you probably were tying while the comment hit.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 08:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Aaron Portzline tweet,

Players have been asked to limit public comments, but one NHLer said via text I could go w this: “The league is back to their old tricks.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 08:54 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& I could come back with you are full of Bovine Excreta too

Posted by Evilpens on 01/03/13 at 08:57 PM ET

Just cancel the season already!

As a Wings fan I don’t even want to watch a 40 game season. The thing I was most excited about was the Winter Classic and since that was canceled I really don’t care anymore. Besides, without landing Suter/Parise it was a crap off-season so forgive me if I’m not excited about the likes of Tootoo, Colaiacovo and Samuelsson.  Hopefully next year the cap goes down to $60 million and we get a chance to get rid of some dead weight contracts. If I was a Rangers or Wild fan, this lockout would really suck.

Posted by TeddyGB on 01/03/13 at 09:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

TeddyGB, you don’t want to watch Columbus 7x out of 48 games?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 09:10 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/03/13 at 07:21 PM ET

My hypothesis is simpler. Bettman’s a worthless *#$%@&.

If anyone has any alternative explanation for why he would try to greatly reduce penalties for what amounts to fraud at the 11th hour, I’d be happy to consider them.

Posted by larry on 01/03/13 at 09:17 PM ET

The only thing I can think of is what I suggested earlier.  He’s trying to get the players to disclaim.

Other than that, he’s just being slimy.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/03/13 at 10:12 PM ET

Paul, another reason why I hope they cancel the season. According to reports, Columbus and Winnipeg will switch conferences so keep getting the shaft when it comes to travel. I hope they scrap the whole thing and start over next season. Hopefully Ilitch pushes for the proposed four-conference realignment.

Posted by TeddyGB on 01/03/13 at 10:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

TeddyGB, those reports were not true, at least for this season, if we have one.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/13 at 10:15 PM ET