Evening Line- P.K. Subban

“If we’re talking about sports let’s talk about money because that’s really what it’s about. You look at the NBA and the reality is the top players make more money off the court than they do on the court, so they can be more frank, they can be more straightforward in terms of the decisions they make and what decisions they make off the court. Especially in basketball, the players have more of an influence because they make more money.

“Someone like LeBron James signs a half a billion or billion-dollar deal with Nike and he’s only getting paid $30 million from his basketball team, so it’s hard to control somebody like that because the reality is he really doesn’t need the paycheque from his basketball team. He’s set for life and that’s not just in his case. That’s in a lot of the players’ cases in the NBA, so the influence is different whereas in hockey that’s not the case at all.”

-P.K. Subban of the Nasville Predators on why NBA players speak out more.  Sportsnet has more.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: p.k.+subban

Comments

I can’t express how much idgaf about players opinions about anything other than the sport.  I don’t look to these people for political and social guidance. Stfu and play.

Oooh, you can shoot a puck better than anyone else? Please explain to me the influence of Locke on the Framers of the constitution and their original intent. Mmmmm… fascinating.

Posted by SlimChance on 07/31/18 at 09:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

You know, I agree with the idea that I don’t often care what someone says. I don’t necessarily follow particular players because of what they think. However, the attitude that they should “shut up and play” is entirely the incorrect attitude to have.

What is it you do for a living? It doesn’t matter. Shut up and do your job. See, that doesn’t feel so good, does it? The very idea that a professional athlete, movie star, or anyone else can’t have thoughts of their own, or opinions on the current culture, is an asinine idea indeed. By that logic, no one should ever speak out about anything. It also goes against part of what this country was founded upon.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/31/18 at 10:06 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/31/18 at 10:06 PM ET

Ditto.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 07/31/18 at 11:55 PM ET

sam_hell's avatar

Agreed Alan - I get that Athlete’s opinions are worth a grain of salt - that is until they decide to use that swagger to impact communities - and lets be honest, the athletes we most respect and admire do just that. GTF out of here with the typical “we don’t care what athletes think, they’re just muscle heads” My kids are 11 and 9 and definitely focus on these “tools” opinions.

My point is - some of these guys give a shit and put they’re money where they’re mouths are - google Lebron’s school! God forbid level headed athletes feel like being more than a jock!

Quit Hating and recognize when these Millionaires are actually trying to do something worthwhile

Posted by sam_hell on 08/01/18 at 12:33 AM ET

No. It feels fine. I go to my dentist to clean my teeth. I go to my accountant for tax advice. And so on. They don’t tell me their political views. I don’t even want to know. A hockey/football/baseball player is different somehow because why? They are entertainers. Go entertain. I don’t want hear them saying F*^% Trump anymore than I want to see them wearing a MAGA hat. Of course they can have their own opinion. Keep it away from your job. That’s not what I’m paying to watch them for. Ask the nfl how it’s working for them.

I’d love to see how eager ESPN would be hear from athletes that disagree with their political agenda.

Posted by SlimChance on 08/01/18 at 01:39 AM ET

Heaton's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 08/01/18 at 01:39 AM ET

They aren’t interviewing Lebron during a game about anything political, this is all away from the game.  Your point of view makes zero sense.

If someone with a lot of money can influence the world for the better, what they do for a living is irrelevant.

Posted by Heaton on 08/01/18 at 07:52 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

If anyone can use their influence to make the world better, then do it.

But I have to disagree with PK about money being the #1 reason why hockey players can’t speak out.
It’s the culture. Sidney Crosby, McDavid and a few others make more off the rink than on.
But they’ve been told since they were 5 to shut up their mouths and just play.
And that’s the #1 reason why the game hasn’t progressed to where it should be.
For instance, if hockey players were like NBA players, the goalies wouldn’t look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
And slashing would have been taken out of the game decades ago.

I think it’s hilarious that the most outspoken players in recent years, in regards to the state of the game, have been American; Hull, Roenick, come to mind.
They weren’t afraid to speak their mind and I wish more would do the same.
I finished reading Al Strachan’s book “Over The Line” and he had an anecdote about wooden sticks.
Both Gretzky and Lemieux thought they should have been banned and gave a lot of evidence why.
Yet, has anyone ever heard them say this publicly? Or with much fervor?

It’s this kind of stuff that I want to hear.
But when you have a guy like Jonathan Toews, who’s revered in hockey circles for being Mr. Milktoast, and speaks in nothing but tired cliche’s, the rest of the herd falls in line.

Posted by Hank1974 on 08/01/18 at 08:38 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Talking about talking. Maybe start putting your money where your mouth is and do something.

Posted by Hank1974 on 08/01/18 at 08:38 AM ET

Gretzky and Lemieux thought wooden sticks should be banned? Why? I would’ve thought they’d been in favor of banning composites.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/01/18 at 08:55 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by sam_hell on 08/01/18 at 12:33 AM ET

That has very little, to nothing, to do with Lebron’s opinion on anything, or what he says.

That’s him shutting up and actually DOING something.  There’s a difference.

You can, in fact, separate the two.  One matters a whole lot more than the other…  and there are a fair number of athletes that like to shoot their mouths off about things but are never actually willing to go out and actually enact something to make the change.  They are no better or different than people on social media that spend hours every day posting about social injustice and outrage and then when they log back off do nothing else in their lives regarding the stuff they were so outraged about an hour before.

There are times when you can use the media to advance a discussion, but far, far too often now the entire thing starts and ends there.

Posted by Primis on 08/01/18 at 09:21 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/01/18 at 08:55 AM ET

don’t know about Mario…

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/01/18 at 11:42 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/01/18 at 11:42 AM ET

Thanks. Right. So Gretz favors the wood and prefers to ban the composite. That makes sense. Hank must’ve mis-typed.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/01/18 at 12:29 PM ET

I can’t express how much you don’t have to listen to anyone say anything.

STFU and turn off the TV.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/02/18 at 09:02 AM ET

You STFU hero

Posted by SlimChance on 08/02/18 at 09:05 AM ET

Posted by SlimChance on 08/02/18 at 09:05 AM ET

“What is it you do for a living? It doesn’t matter. Shut up and do your job. See, that doesn’t feel so good, does it?

No. It feels fine.”