Even The Little Issues Can’t Be Decided On

from Elliotte Friedman of CBC,

If you have any doubt what a stalemate the NHL lockout has become, consider this: talks took a step backward last weekend because the league and the NHL Players' Association could not agree on who should pay for a) an extra trainer on the road and b) for each player to have his own hotel room.

Players felt teams should pay for both, especially since an extra trainer is a safety issue. Apparently, some teams only travel with one. As for single rooms, well, they've been fighting for that since Matt Stajan made Joe Nieuwendyk watch The Fifth Wheel. Right now, you can be solitary if you've played 600 NHL games.

The league, of course, feels otherwise, that these are added costs and should come out of hockey related revenue. There's no consensus and everybody leaves grumbling.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

creasemonkey's avatar

The more information I read about the basic issues (mostly from Friedman but JJ had a good explanation on WIIM), the more I’m finding myself siding with the players. Yes, they do take some blame for this, but I do agree the thought that the NHL was going to lockout the players despite what happened. Claiming the tens of thousands of papers involving unchanged financial records are “irrelevant” is inexcusable, especially since you cannot propose anything without all the date you need to back it up; also, the fact that this info was given so late in the offseason makes the argument that the NHLPA delayed negotiations pretty weak (yes, the late end of the season affected this, but you cannot blame the players for this delay).

I’m at the point where the only way I see myself coming back to the NHL as much of a fan as I was last season is for this whole thing to be blown up. Skip two seasons if it is required. Start the CBA and all other agreements from scratch, clean house at the top of the NHL, redo the divisions/conferences, set the solid foundation needed and allow for minor tweaks. If you are going to burn down this village, might as well make it worth the effort.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 10/02/12 at 08:26 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Best thing I’ve read since the lockout began.  I would gladly give up two years of this garbage—and I mean the way the league is run, played and broadcast—for a better league.  This whole thing isn’t even disappointing or maddening. It’s funny.  The NHL is such a laughing stock, such a farce, that we can only point to the fans who are distraught and signing petitions, begging for a quick fix..and wonder how such a smart fan base can be so naive and, frankly, stupid.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/02/12 at 08:55 AM ET

Hard to side with the players on this one as far as I am concerned.  Hell, when my family goes to a hockey game, all 6 of us cram into a two bed- single room hotel room.  After ticket prices there is basically no money left for any other option.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 09:47 AM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 10:47 AM ET

Also, hard to side with the players because I don’t have the skills to play in the NHL.

Right?

Posted by Garth on 10/02/12 at 09:53 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

When the owners share hotel rooms for CBA negotiations (which they likely would expense to the teams as business expenses), then let’s talk about the players asking for too much.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/02/12 at 09:59 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 10:47 AM ET

If you complain about the ticket prices, blame the owners.  It’s pretty much been proven that there is little to no coordination between player salaries and ticket prices.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/02/12 at 09:59 AM ET

My point is that it is hard for the players to point and say the owners are the greedy, wealthy, spoiled ones when the players will not agree with sharing a hotel room with a teammate during an away game.

If the players were smart they would give in on that demand which would show the fans they are indeed more in line with the common fan (who almost always shares hotel rooms with family or friends).

The more details that come out makes me hate both sides…but for those people who are all in for the players simply because they are union need to open their eyes.  You can’t ask the league to pay you more than 50% and at the same time not allow them to cut costs when report after report show that teams are actually losing money.  You have to allow a team to make money or no one is going to own the team.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 10:32 AM ET

If the players were smart they would give in on that demand

and then they would be asked to give in on the next demand. How did that 24% rollback concession work the last time? It lead to a capped system which the 24% rollback concession was designed to prevent.

I am not all in for the players, I am all in for the owners cleaning up a mess of their own creation. If the current system is designed to enrich the rich teams and continue to leave the smaller markets to die on the vine, nothing changes.  No matter how much income the NHL generates and no matter how much money the players give back it will not help the money losing teams if how revenues are shared is not changed.  If Brad Richards shares a twin bed with Henrik Lundqvist, it won’t affect how much Don Maloney pays Shane Doan. This is all just window dressing on a greater issue.

When I travel on vacation I share a room with my family, when I travel for business, I don’t share a room with anyone. Maybe the NHL should only book hotels that charge government or AA rates.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/02/12 at 10:52 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I know it’s been said that the if the two sides can agree on some small issues first, they might be able to sit down and agree on the big issues, but I don’t think that’s case.  Until the big issues are settled, every small issue is essentially a potential bargaining pick and neither side will compromise on it until using it as a bargaining chip is no longer necessary.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/02/12 at 11:22 AM ET