Eugene Melnyk Wants Goons Kicked Out Of The League

from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,

"I've been talking about goons playing in our league for years now and I'm on record when Spezza got hurt and I said that one day it's going to be somebody else's superstar and sure enough within 60 days Sidney Crosby got taken out (in the Winter Classic by Washington's David Steckel).

"I'm just hoping that this is something that is looked at for what it is and something positive comes out of what is really a tragedy for us."

Melnyk wondered why Cooke -- who has been suspended five times -- is allowed to play in the league. All this incident did was reinforce Melnyk's thinking.

"This guy should be kicked ... He doesn't belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play," said an emotional Melnyk. "Get him in the Central league. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there.

"The guy does not deserve ... He's got one purpose. I remember when this happened with Spezza. I said, 'If these are the rules, I just want to know.' We'll play with the same rules. Make sure you have one or two goons whose job is to do this either intentionally or unintentionally.

"I'm OK with it, just tell me I'm OK with it. I play by the rules. I'm just shocked an organization would do this."

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

DigitalGypsy66's avatar

Look within, Mr. Melnyk. Off the top of my head, you’ve employed Jarkko Ruutu, Zenon Konopka, and Chris Neil.  Neil has more penalty minutes than Cooke does in fewer games, too.

Posted by DigitalGypsy66 on 02/15/13 at 10:45 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Looks like Melnyk didn’t learn what Lemieux learned.

You employ Chris Neil and that is one goony goon.  Clean your own house, Melnyk.

What’s even worse is the whine about what Cooke did as though it was intentional. I absolutely don’t believe that it was.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/15/13 at 10:52 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m with youze guys ^^^^ except Neil actually brings more to the table than just gooney-ness

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/15/13 at 10:56 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

And Kenopka is a hell of a character guy in the locker room. He’s exactly the guy you’d want on your team for all of those intangibles that don’t show up on the stat sheet. On the ice, he’s a goony goon without question. Off ice, he’s something else.

But the point remains - clean your own house before you go after others.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/13 at 11:05 AM ET

While Chris Neil may play a tough and rugged game, and often times chippy, he’s never been suspended. The hit on Drury back in ‘07, that sparked the big brawl that involved Emery and Peters, would be considered illegal now, but wasn’t against the rules at the time.

Posted by Chris M on 02/15/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& again the whole OrganIzation is a joke from Owner, GM Sylvester the Cat to the Coach

Posted by Evilpens on 02/15/13 at 11:52 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& the Steckel/Sid incident was just like this one a unfortunate accident with terrible results

Posted by Evilpens on 02/15/13 at 11:54 AM ET

Thag's avatar

David Steckel a goon?  He is a clumsy oaf, but certainly not a goon.  In addition to Crosby, he almost ruined teammate Eric Fehr’s career.

And the Cooke thing was an accident…

Posted by Thag from DC on 02/15/13 at 12:09 PM ET

And Matt Cooke’s hit on Savard was legal at the time too. They were both dirty!!

Neil crosses the line plenty:
questionable hit on Boyle last year,
He loves to sucker punch players(Letang, Seidenberg)
His elbow to Andy McDonald in 2007 was awful!!!

Posted by rwhit1962 on 02/15/13 at 12:13 PM ET

clownfat's avatar

Here is how this reads to me:

“Wahhhhh wah wah wah wah wahhhhhh.”

Dude, you ice one of the most annoying rats in the league with Chris Neil and you want to remove “goons” from the league? First of all, Cooke wasn’t a goon, he was a rat, similar to Neil.  John Scott is a goon. You wouldn’t need John Scott in the league if teams didn’t employ players like… Chris Neil.

Wow, I felt bad for the team after this accident but now I hope they just completely tank and thus cry some more.

Posted by clownfat on 02/15/13 at 12:25 PM ET

Uh-uh, Mr. Melnyk. Can’t make this argument when you’ve been cutting a check to Neil for 10 years. They’re apples to apples players. The only difference being that Cooke used to be dirtier and has always been way better at the “actually playing some hockey” aspect of the job of NHL bottom 6 rat.

Not to mention, I didn’t hear him making a similar argument when he traded for Andy Sutton, a worse player with an equally long rap sheet who injured two Penguins on purpose on illegal, intentional plays during his time in Ottawa.

Posted by larry on 02/15/13 at 03:27 PM ET

Posted by Chris M on 02/15/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Neil should have been suspended for 10 or more games for attacking an unwilling Rado-something Somik in a game against Philadelphia circa ~2003 (don’t remember when exactly that happened). That poor guy missed most of the next 3 years from a Neil suckerpunch he in no way, shape or form invited or deserved.

Posted by larry on 02/15/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Cook is a POS. I could care less about the Senators but I agree 100% with Melnyk.

Posted by timbits on 02/15/13 at 08:24 PM ET