Eugene Melnyk On Marc Methot Incident

via Bruce Garrioch tweets,

Melnyk says he is sure the Methot issue is being taken up with the league this AM on TSN 1200

"You hammer these guys, you take away their money, and you say you know what you are done for 10 games," says Melnyk on incidents.

Melnyk doesn't name Crosby but "we all know who he is. The guy is a whiner beyond belief." Says no matter who it is he should be suspended

Missed the incident last night?  Watch here.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc+methot, sidney+crosby

Comments

Primis's avatar

“we all know who he is. The guy is a whiner beyond belief.”

You know you suck when you make people agree with Melynk about you.

Posted by Primis on 03/24/17 at 10:34 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Pierre LeBrun tweet,

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says the league is NOT looking into this matter further.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/24/17 at 10:43 AM ET

The league has showed why “the code” is needed. Time for Sidney to be dealt with.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/24/17 at 10:59 AM ET

Paul's avatar

A bit more from Melnyk via Bruce Garrioch at the Ottawa Citizen,

“The guy lost the top of his finger. Did you see it? It’s ugly. I wouldn’t want to show that to anybody under the age of 25,” Melnyk said.

Melnyk is a big believer that suspensions need to be longer.

“I think the only way to do it is you wipe the guy off the map. Not one or two games, how about a season for a few of these guys,” said Melnyk. “You take my guy, I take your guy. That’s my attitude. The guy who creates the injury, they should watch games together until the end of the season.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/24/17 at 11:02 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Never agreed with melynk until today. But I think he’s right - they continue to let crap like this slip and suspend guys for lesser violations.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/24/17 at 11:29 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

But there’s never preferential treatment to super stars.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/24/17 at 11:46 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I’m far from the biggest Crosby fan, but we are still talking about the slash, right? It should’ve been a penalty, but that seemed like a pretty run-of-the-mill slash. I think it’s stupid to use the result of the play to determine punishment, for both types of situations. If a player cross-checks another in the back of the neck, they should receive due punishment, regardless if the other player miraculously avoids injury.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 03/24/17 at 11:48 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He is responsible for his stick,and anyone who has ever played Hockley knows that a slash to the hand is dirty. There’s three feet of stick he could have slashed,but instead chopped the guy in his hand.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/24/17 at 12:05 PM ET

Watch Sidney lose the tip of his finger and pens fans would lose their minds. Not a star? Get over it.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/24/17 at 12:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

A zoomed in video of the injury.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/24/17 at 12:16 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Listening to “Hockey Central at Noon” right now. Thought the guys may mention it…..... Crickets…..

A spear one game, and now this, and almost nothing written or mentioned about it.

...This isn’t the whiny little b#*#* you’re looking for…..Move along….

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/24/17 at 12:37 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

That’s why I dropped my subscription to XM radio DRD. They are just mouthpieces for the league and will Not go against preset policy.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 03/24/17 at 12:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

God forbid now that Crosby gets concussed again because someone runs him to send a message…  the league might ban the entire opposing team for it.

Posted by Primis on 03/24/17 at 01:07 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

anyone who has ever played Hockley knows that a slash to the hand is dirty

Every player in the league has slashed someone on the hands. Guess they’re all dirty.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 03/24/17 at 01:11 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Someone needs to spear Crosby in the gonads really hard as retribution.  He gets away with anything and everything because the Evil Garden Gnome protects him.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/24/17 at 01:20 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

If the stick had broken it would 100% have been a slashing penalty. But it was just the guy’s hand, so we’re good.

Posted by Steeb on 03/24/17 at 01:31 PM ET

Thag's avatar

Methot should have sucker-punched him and ended his season.

Posted by Thag from DC on 03/24/17 at 02:02 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

When I saw the video,it sure looked to me like Methot turned around to punch whomever did it to him,but as soon as he saw it was Crisby he backed off.

My hope:the two teams meet in the playoffs and someone gets even.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/24/17 at 02:16 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

quote]Really? Wow guess I’ve missed all those in the years I’ve been watching games. I probably average 80 to 130 games a year.. I suppose I’ve just missed all those instances.

You are either A) Blind, B) Dumb, or C) Blind and Dumb. There is no 4th option. I will let you choose.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 03/24/17 at 02:23 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 03/24/17 at 02:23 PM ET

Seriously? Come on man.

Paul, wth.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/24/17 at 03:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Easy please Link…  Really no need for stuff like that here.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/24/17 at 03:05 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

*ahem*
This type of play happens all of the time.

Please see:

But Melnyk is not the only one to mention that the Penguins get special treatment. Don’t hear that about the Blackhawks….

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/24/17 at 03:15 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Who would believe Cindy was a dirty player besides being a whiner and a diver.  mad

Posted by bigfrog on 03/24/17 at 04:18 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by bigfrog on 03/24/17 at 04:18 PM ET

There is no evidence that Cindy has Gonads.  Cindy actually has come out on top, with everyone in the NHL treating him different. Except maybe Claude Giroux, in the playoffs

Too bad, he is a skilled player

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/24/17 at 04:37 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Never liked Cindy Crysby. Thinking of dropping the nhl network because they literally talk like they need to a get a room with him every night…..vomit in mouth gushing.

Mark Borowiecki hopefully will take his head off the next time they meet, Smith, or Neil, Phaneuf, Burrows. Free steak dinner should be offered.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 03/24/17 at 06:42 PM ET