ESPN’s Katie Strang reports that the New York Rangers have ‘dismissed’ John Tortorella

Wowzers, per ESPN's Katie Strang:

The Rangers are confirming:

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Confirming reports already out there, John Tortorella dismissed as head coach of NYR. AWWWWWWWWWWWWW No more Tort
ellini whing & telling Larry Brooks to *#$%@& you Brooksie

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 01:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Message Sather sent?  “If you give up on your coach, we’ll get you a new one to give up on next year, maybe a nicer one..”

Maybe they’ll get a non-human-rights violator and brings them cookies and milk everyday after practice and leaves little bags of potpourri in their gear bags.

Maybe those players should consider figure skating

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

HO the Hardass routine runs dry after a while

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 01:13 PM ET

:chuckle:

Lindy Ruff?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/29/13 at 01:18 PM ET

how can ANYONE back up Torts ?  Karma always catches up.  His demise was that he went public with all the stuff other coaches do in private.  He is tactless and that is what led to his firing.  I know guys that have played for him and I know guys who have coached with him.  Every one has the same opinion.  Great hockey mind but is such an ass that he doesn’t get any respect from his peers or players.  Ask Rick Dudley what he thinks of him.

Posted by scarchofi on 05/29/13 at 01:22 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

HO the Hardass routine runs dry after a while

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 01:13 PM ET

You are really one to talk about repetitive cliches EP.  Looking at your body of work on KK I’d say you just drove a truck though the front door of your glass house.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/29/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Maybe Torts and Ron Wilson can get together and have a throwing-your-players-under-the-bus party.

Posted by Garth on 05/29/13 at 01:32 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

More on topic…

I’m not sure I’d want him coaching my team, but I’ve always admired Tortorella’s frankness.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/29/13 at 01:34 PM ET

I still think sitting Richards wasn’t quite the right way to inspire his players.

Posted by neffernin on 05/29/13 at 01:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Gee, if there’d only been some way we could have seen this coming…

Posted by Primis on 05/29/13 at 02:33 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Maybe they will want to dump Callahan, too.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/29/13 at 02:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Hardass=accountable in coach speak.

A “hardass” coach is one that bitches at you when you fuch up, that calls you out when you’re not finding it on your own to inspire yourself to play to the level you’re getting paid to.

You’ll never convince me to hire kindergarten teachers to coach hockey teams.  Babs is a hardass and his hardass routine is running pretty thin by now yeah?  But the management stuck with him and let Shanny walk.  ACCOUNTABILITY.  Hardass is a process description en route to accountability.  Can he sit up there and say, gee golly Richards sure would like to earn that contract but sometimes you’re just in the dumps?  Sure.  If you’re dealing with kids then yes.  If you’re dealing with men and you can talk like a man, that’s indicative of the people you’re talking to not the coach’s way of talking.

Torts real downfall is in his inability to take what Sather gave him and get it all shooting in the same direction at the same time.  He couldn’t modify his system to accommodate different strengths and weakness of the team he’s got right now, not the one he wishes he had.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Hardass=accountable in coach speak.

Bull.

You can hold your players accountable without being a piece of shit about it.

Posted by Garth on 05/29/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

NO!! NHardass is Tortellini, Michel Therrien, Mike Keenan ! they come with an expiration date, My point of contention is this In hockey you fire a Hardass coach & hire a “Players Coach & when you fire a “Players Coach you hire a Hardass coach.

Can’t any coach find a happy medium ??

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 03:42 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright.

+19

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/29/13 at 04:12 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

don’t forget Hitch and Sutter on that list along with Babcock to that list of hardasses

And I still don’t get how Torts was ever a piece of shit.

It’s not like he started off trash talking.. but eventually, I imagine as team meetings, player meetings, video meetings, practices.. when you’re veteran guys aren’t towing the line, eventually you must call them out.  These aren’t rookie’s he’s having a hard time with, actually NYR seem to be busting out good rookies and role players.  It’s the guys who’s contracts dictate they produce in some fashion, offense, defense, motivation.. Nash and Richards have done none of that.  But he didn’t throw them under the bus as first course of action but to light a fire and I dig it.

Not denying that doesn’t have a shelf life with some people, but to me, people who can’t take criticism when they aren’t producing in any capacity are more the problem, being uncoachable (Look at how many head coaches Nash has had in one city, even after a little success midway through their shit-storm)

I just can’t muster up the hate for Torts, I like his hard-nosed style.  I like appreciate tough guys I guess.  I know if Torts didn’t give a shit he wouldn’t say anything and I know he busts his ass to improve which is more I can say than most the players on the Rangers this year and I admire that.  Guy gave 110%

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/29/13 at 04:13 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Nash is a Nuthin Muffin ! never will win anything with that guy on your team

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright.

These 2 are a special kind of stupid so I will talk slow & Print slow!

COACHES being Hardasses Have a expiration date when hired

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 04:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

COACHES being Hardasses Have a expiration date when hired

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 04:26 PM ET

I wasn’t talking about coaches.  I was talking about dried up routines.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/29/13 at 05:44 PM ET

Don’t all coaches have expiration dates when hired?

Posted by neffernin on 05/29/13 at 05:51 PM ET

awould's avatar

So Torts is a hardass and the players just can’t handle his tough love. The alternative apparently is a kindergarten coach who coddles players. Seems kind of extreme.

Torts’s problem isn’t that he’s a hardass, it’s that he’s an a$$hole.

Posted by awould on 05/29/13 at 07:15 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

awould Well that is obvious But hardass coaches get immediate results but the Players get sick off the BS & tune them out eventually. Tortorella being an *#$%@& just speeded up the process

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 07:34 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 05/29/13 at 07:34 PM ET

I think what you really are trying to say is hardass coaches who don’t adjust their strategy get tuned out quickly.

I would say to HO that the coaches you listed have all adjusted their styles slightly or actually make in-game changes. Torts has been running out the shame shtick his entire coaching career. And I can garner enough hate for him because his moderate success has single-handily ruined the NHL game, 5 guys in the box blocking shots in front of the goalie and hoping his team can counterattack.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/29/13 at 10:16 PM ET