Eric Fehr Will Become A Free Agent On July 1st

from Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun,

The pending restricted free agent was told by the Jets they won’t be sending him a qualifying offer before Monday’s deadline.

“No, we did not,” Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said Saturday afternoon after the 2012 NHL Entry Draft came to a close.

The right-winger from Winkler was the first player Cheveldayoff traded for, coming over from the Washington Capitals last summer in a deal for an ECHL prospect and a 2012 fourth round draft pick.

What looked like a good opportunity for Fehr quickly became a nightmare as he missed all of training camp and the first 20 games of the season after recovering from off-season shoulder surgery.

Once the rehab was complete, Fehr quickly found his way into head coach Claude Noel’s doghouse and struggled to find his offensive confidence.

Rather than the Top-6 forward minutes that were projected for him, Fehr spent much of his time on the fourth line and struggled to find his scoring touch, finishing with two goals and three points in 35 games last season.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+fehr

Comments

Crow's avatar

Interesting.  Was he the one who “incidentally” knocked down Crosby in the winter classic?

Posted by Crow on 06/23/12 at 11:57 PM ET

nope that was steckel…

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/24/12 at 12:09 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Crow, I believe that was Steckel.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/24/12 at 12:09 AM ET

Crow, I believe that was Steckel.

wait, wait… let me take all the darts out of the poster.

Yeap, it was steckel.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/24/12 at 12:11 AM ET

Crow's avatar

Ahhh. Thanks for clarifying that.  I should put up a framed pic of Steckel in my man cave.

Posted by Crow on 06/24/12 at 12:20 AM ET

Sounds like a Kenny Holland reclamation project to me.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/24/12 at 12:24 AM ET

Sounds like a Kenny Holland reclamation project to me.

He’s got enough projects to keep him busy.

Posted by Garth on 06/24/12 at 12:55 AM ET

Let’s hope so. I can’t live through another one

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/24/12 at 01:12 AM ET

Garth, I could see Kenny saying something like this, on July 2nd, after disappointing thousands of wings fans by signing only Fehr, and former Wing great Andreas Lilja,
” you know, were, uhhh, happy where were at with our roster and we, uhhhhh, we think that adding Eric Fehr as a top 6 fwd is, uhhh you know, he gives us size up front, and, uhhh Andreas gives a real solid top 4, and you know I really am happy with our group.”

Insert more “uhhhhhs” where you feel necessary.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/24/12 at 01:27 AM ET

Posted by Crow on 06/23/12 at 10:20 PM ET

Classy as usual.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 06/24/12 at 01:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I think Fehr’s had his problems but I don’t know that ending up in Claude Noel’s doghouse should be counted against him.  Noel doesn’t seem to be a very good coach.  And I say that as a guy that watched him come up through the minors.  He isn’t adaptable, nor does he have any patience to let things come together.

I think Fehr, in the right situation, could still be successful.

Posted by Primis on 06/24/12 at 02:11 AM ET

Thag's avatar

Steckel also accidentally took out Fehr (when they were teammates), which is why he needed the shoulder surgery in the first place.

Posted by Thag from DC on 06/24/12 at 10:22 AM ET

Yeah, Steckel’s a complete clod. He’s often badly injuring people through clumsiness, inability to skate and general lack of coordination.

Check this out.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/24/12 at 02:58 PM ET

I seem to remember him absolutely annihilating, I think, Backstrom on a line change shortly before Washington traded him to New Jersey.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/24/12 at 03:00 PM ET

If Prust leaves, Fehr would be nice pickup for the Rangers.

Posted by 13 user names on 06/25/12 at 12:49 PM ET