Enjoy It While You Can LA

from Ken Campbell of The Hockey News,

The Kings will be the toast of the city for the summer and will see a spike in interest over the short term. But those who expect Southern California to become a hockey-mad Mecca will be disappointed. This team has been in the NHL 45 years and during its romp through the playoffs, the Los Angeles Times ran a front-page column explaining the rudimentary basics of the game. Among the pearls of wisdom: “The Kings use four ‘lines’ or platoons of players, each made up of three forwards, two defenders and a goaltender. Except for the goalie, they swap out every minute or so, in well-practised ‘line changes’ that resemble Azerbaijan hostage rescues.”

What is more likely to happen is the Kings will live off the fumes of this championship for a little while before settling into their usual existence as a team whose bottom line and recognition value depend on its on-ice success. And there’s nothing wrong with that, nor is it unique. Times are wonderful for the Pittsburgh Penguins these days with their shiny new arena and star-studded lineup, but even that market has never, ever demonstrated a willingness to support that team when it’s not successful.

The reality is the only non-Canadian franchises that can count on that kind of support are the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

DrewBehr's avatar

I’d have to add the Red Wings to that 2 team list… Maybe Boston as well.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/07/12 at 12:48 PM ET

And they wonder why I cancelled my subscription to Hockey News several years ago. I don’t need to pay for more Canadian blither from Ken and his writers.

Posted by timbits on 07/07/12 at 02:36 PM ET

I was just looking at the line-up for the U18 US Select Team to see where the players come from. This is a clue as to whether having a team like LA win the cup makes a difference or not, I have bolded the CA kids:

goaltenders Thatcher Demko(San Diego, Calif.) and Devin Williams (Saginaw, Mich.); defensemen Connor Clifton (Matawan, N.J.),Anthony DeAngelo (Sewell, N.J.), Michael Downing (Canton, Mich.) and RJ Gicewicz (Orchard Park, N.Y.); and forwards Adam Erne (New Haven, Conn.), Gabe Guertler (Plantation, Fla.), Vinni Lettieri(Minnetonka, Minn.), Jimmy Lodge (Downington, Pa.), Trevor Moore (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) and Andrew Oglevie (Fullerton, Calif).

Posted by timbits on 07/07/12 at 03:01 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Uh, who is he referring to? This is classic case of creating a fictitious argument, then railing against it.

This cup win will create a whole new generation of not only Kings fans, but hockey fans in general, which will carry over for many many years to come.

Also, Ken didn’t mention how the team has been selling out Staples for quite a while now. Even when they sucked.

Posted by pautna on 07/07/12 at 03:50 PM ET

What an idiotic article. My guess is Paul is a ‘Yotes fan. Was it necessary to waste the cyber-space required for this opinion?

Posted by Long Time Kings Fan from San Diego CA on 07/07/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by Long Time Kings Fan from San Diego CA on 07/07/12 at 02:18 PM ET

Guess again and fyi, who I am a fan of does not sway me on what I post on KK.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/07/12 at 05:10 PM ET

I saw this pointless article and was compelled to post!!!  I grew up in Inner City LA never understanding Hockey until the Great One came along. Even then I did not become a fan. That happened in the winter of 92 when I saw my first game at Jack Kent Cooke’s Great Western Forum where the Kings took on the Hartford Whalers.

Feeling the energy of the building and people there that night is all it took.  During the highs (93 Stanley Cup run) and lows, (Team Bankruptcy) I have been there.  I am just one story in a City of millions.  I am sure there are many stories from others that have been there well before my transformation in 92 and there will definetely be more following the Kings Stanley Cup run this past season.  Winning or losing we Kings fans have always been there.

The problem with your article sir is that you do not have a great understanding of what a true Kings fan is.  We are not all concentrated in one area of the City.  We are all over the place.  You can find us far south as San Diego and even up into Bakersfield.  Wait, do you people even know where that is!

Posted by Hockey-Mad-Guy From LA from LA on 07/07/12 at 05:33 PM ET

All good points, my American friends, but hockey will, in all probability, remain a niche/cult sport in the U.S.  That is no reflection on your love or knowledge of the game.  If anything, American hockey fans exhibit even greater passion for hockey than their Canadian cousins.  Ohh, I’d also add Detroit to that list.

Regardless…Kings rule!!!!!

Posted by Mick Kern from Calgary (usually Toronto) on 07/07/12 at 06:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I certainly hope so, but the Ducks won the cup recently too and now they’re bottom-five in attendance.

It’s overall good for the hockey culture in Southern California, but there is a grain of truth to the bitter whining.  Hockey needs to be consistently successful to keep building the culture.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/07/12 at 06:12 PM ET

This guy is a moron.

Posted by mikeburke from Oregon on 07/07/12 at 06:30 PM ET

I’m just posting because this Ken Campbell predicted that the New Jersey Devils were a much better team than the Kings and that the Devils would beat the Kings in 6 games.
I have no problem with a supposedly respected writer making a comparison and prediction of a series.
I do have a problem with a writer like Ken Campbell who didn’t do anything but copy his article from the previous seasons cup finals between Boston and Vancouver.
Ken was either mocking or was just   dumb enough to refer to Drew Doughty as Brad Doty, and claim he was a Conn Smythe candidate?
Ken made sure he mentioned Dustin Brown’ hit on Michal Rozsival in game 5 against Phoenix, which was a legal hit, even looking at it super slow motion, it was a good hit, not some knee shot, or slew foot.
Senior Writer Ken Campbell is uninformed and lazy! He is so lazy he
re-published his identical 2011 article, only really changing the year from 2011, and then substituting the teams from Boston to New Jersey and Vancouver to Los Angeles for the 2012 Stanley Cup Finals.
We, dedicated Kings fans, not the ones you accuse of being fair weather, or band wagoners, called Campbell out, and pointed out what a lazy writer he was, and how THN were a joke. We included the link to the very article he tried to pass off for this years final. Someone at THN or maybe it was Ken quickly revised his copied garbage from the previous season article, and revised it, even giving a hollow apology to us fake Kings fans.
Ken Campbell should have looked at what the Western Conference champion Kings goalie Jonathan Quick had done the whole season, especially with the 29th worst scoring team in the NHL.
Quick was a big reason why the Kings were the 2nd best defensive team in the NHL the entire year.
Quick had a 1.95 goals against average which was 2nd in the league.
Quick had a .929 save percentage 5th best in the league.
Campbell apparently dismissed the fact Quick had 10 shutouts this season to lead the league.
This supposed knowledgeable author wrote that Jonathan Quick didn’t have to be that good during the Kings playoff run, as opposed to Brodeur who was so stellar, he was better than Lunddqvist. and gave his advantage to New Jersey.
I guess all of the stats prior to the playoffs didn’t matter, however the one stat that matters was Quick had 16 wins, which according to my math means a Stanley Cup, while Brodeur had 14 which means no Stanley Cup.
My only satisfaction is this: New Jersey will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this upcoming season, especially after losing Zach Parise.
I am confident Ken Campbell will still continue to minimize the west, and the Kings.
One thing is MENSA genius will fail to acknowledge is the Kings nucleus which will remain intact for a few years at the least is now a legitimate contender, even the front runner to repeat, if not reach the finals for the next 3 -5 seasons.
Ken claims the Kings fans will not support a team that is mediocre. Once again according to Ken the Rangers and Flyers are the only non Canadian franchises that will receive enough support, to rival the Canadian franchises.
How THN could accept a LAZY and effortless article from their “SENIOR WRITER” to be used, shows just how THN has become nothing more than a readers digest with pictures.
Congratulations THN you have become a hockey comic which offers nothing but a soap box for ignorant and biased opinions.
The only use for THN now is to line my bird cage for their turds!

Posted by Neil Shafton from Simi Valley CA on 07/07/12 at 07:57 PM ET