End Of Game Scrums

Ryane Clowe did receive 2 minutes for roughing for this punch, jab, shot, push on Ryan Kesler at the end of the game yesterday.

Are you okay with the call on the ice?  Did Kesler embellish the punch?  What’s your view on this type of play?

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+kesler, ryane+clowe

Comments

1 game suspension. repeat offender. wah wah wah cry all day and all night because your team lost. your a professional, act like one. he did the same crap against detroit and the end of one of the games.

Posted by callmedrw on 05/23/11 at 09:19 AM ET

It looks like he went down a little easy. But i’m ok with it, it’s playoffs hockey, and it makes for a good series.

Posted by stephen on 05/23/11 at 09:19 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I hate this garbage. The only reason it happens is because the losing team decides to act like babies and have a tantrum because things didn’t go their way.

But the league loves it, so we’ll never get rid of it.
Only when someone gets sucker-punched and falls into a coma will the NHL try to stop these shenanigans.

What I find humorous is this is exactly how the NBA used to look. Then it got cleaned up and the sport rocketed in popularity. You would have thought Bettman could have taken something from his NBA days.
The NHL still hasn’t figured that out yet. The game can still be tough and feature meaningful fights to keep it’s identity.
But this kind of crap, along with staged fights, will always keep this game off ESPN or on ESPN3.

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/23/11 at 10:36 AM ET

total embellishment. the Canucks gameplan is always stick to the whistle then hope for retaliation. Is this a penalty on Clowe, yes, but Kessler could have just skated away, instead he does what all the Canucks have done, get in the confrontation then turtle.

I dont like Clowe, but Kessler is a tough guy, it disgusts me to see him lay on the ice like that, trying to buy a bigger call. The Canucks (and Joe Thornton) are trying to make hockey like the Champions League.

Posted by pstumba on 05/23/11 at 11:05 AM ET

Suspension?

Wow thats a joke. Clowe barely touched him and Kesler went down like he got shot. Disgraceful, Kesler should have a Steve Downie like reputation the way he`s been flopping.

Posted by Patrick on 05/23/11 at 11:05 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

By my count, Kesler flopped twice yesterday.  The first time was in a board battle when known-tough-guy Patrick Marleau bodied him against the boards (and gave him what I thought was a cross-check) and the second at the end here when he goaded Clowe into punching him and then turtled like a bitch.

Add this to the chop he delivered at the end of game 3 and he’s quickly becoming my least-favorite person on two teams that have few players I like.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/11 at 11:20 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Kesler went down like he got shot.

Must’ve prepped for the game by watching tape of Jumbo Joe.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/23/11 at 11:22 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Kesler should of known better and skated away from Clowe when time expired. The league doesn’t have the stomach to suspend players in the playoffs for fighting in the final few minutes of a game even though it cleary states instigators will be suspended.
The rules apply when colon campbell feels like applying them.
Bush league stuff at the end of games getting old. Sore losers are common in life.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/23/11 at 11:29 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

Clowe is such a little pansy.  That’s at least twice he’s pulled this shit after a game as he sucker punched Abdelkader after Game 4 last round too.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/23/11 at 12:11 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t think Clowe should be suspended, but I do think he should serve his 2 minutes. He wouldn’t have punched him after the 2nd period because he’d have had to suffer some consequences. So he waits until the end of the game where he can do it and then skate safely to his locker room and feel like a tough guy. The Sharks are looking more and more the like the Ducks this postseason.

In the playoffs, I think these penalties should be served in the next game. Everyone always talks about how it’s the series and everything matters, so this should too. It’s not just 7 individual games, it’s a 7-game long contest. Carry these penalties over.

Posted by awould on 05/23/11 at 12:43 PM ET

Must’ve prepped for the game by watching tape of Jumbo Joe.

I know that was a joke, but you’re not really pretending that’s the first time Kesler has flopped, are you?

Posted by Garth on 05/23/11 at 12:55 PM ET

Kesler’s been taking injury-faking lessons from Burrows. This isn’t like the Lucic thing, Kesler begged for this punch, expected it, then pretended to be hurt when he got it.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/23/11 at 01:13 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Kessler got punched in the face you nitwits, he didn’t flop. He certainly stayed on the ice longer than necessary, but that’s irrelevant because he’s obviously not going to draw a call at the end of a game.

Don’t get all high and mighty and act like SJ isn’t on par, we’ve all seen them do their fair share of flopping about like dainty little rag dolls. It’s also pretty obvious that they’re going to live up to their playoff reputation. No wonder Clollipop couldn’t keep his cool.

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 05/23/11 at 01:17 PM ET

awould's avatar

Kesler begged for this punch

Kesler’s got mind-control over Clowe. He tell him to shut up, he be quiet for a while. He leaves, he’ll be talkin’ again.

I guess Clowe had no choice, words hurt!

Posted by awould on 05/23/11 at 01:18 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Staying on the ice longer than necessary IS flopping.  The thing is that he did draw a call.  Clowe got two minutes for that punch.  Kesler was trying to get the refs to give him five to see if he couldn’t get Clowe suspended for game 5.

Once again, that is flopping.

Yes, San Jose does it too.  This makes it absolutely amazing for me that Ryan Kesler is becoming my least-favorite player in this series (especially considering that I’m rooting for Vancouver.)

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/11 at 01:24 PM ET

I agree with awould, this kind of crap would stop if any penalty called in the last minute of a game would carry over to the next game.  The league obviously doesn’t want it to stop.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 05/23/11 at 01:32 PM ET

Pretty much what you see in…............ futbol.

Then again, the NHL’s rules protect the rats.  And a rat will embellish anything they can.

Pretty said what the North American professional hockey is becoming.

Posted by Sig from DC on 05/23/11 at 01:36 PM ET

JJ mentioned it above, but I don’t really see the difference here from Kesler’s brutal slash on Vlasic in the final seconds of Game 3.  In fact, that’s a much more dangerous play.  He “served” his two minutes after the game, too.

But JJ, don’t exaggerate!  There’s always Torres.  And Lapierre.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 05/23/11 at 01:36 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Hahahahaha come on J.J. we all know how much of a joke that is! I may come across as defending Kessler here, but I’d rather focus on events like this as a whole. I don’t watch every game, I don’t see them all - don’t call me out on some other botched call because, well, I quite simply didn’t watch the game…

I think we’re in agreeance that this crap has no place, irrespective of who is involved.

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 05/23/11 at 01:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

But JJ, don’t exaggerate!  There’s always Torres.  And Lapierre.

Posted by nosferatu from oh on 05/23/11 at 12:36 PM ET

I’m trying with Torres, I really am, because he’s got an entire career worth of head-hunting cheap-shotting, shitty actions to work on while Ryan Kesler strays over the line between “sandpaper” guy and “sandy-nether-regions” guy significantly less often, but Torres doesn’t dive.

Posted by sjketcheson from Ottawa on 05/23/11 at 12:41 PM ET

I definitely do agree with that.  I agree that both sides of the issue should be addressed better.  If a guy is going to cheap shot another guy at the end of a game, then at the very least, his penalty should carry over to the next game of the series.  Alternately, if a guy is going to flop to try to get somebody suspended for one of those cheap shots, he should start the following game in the penalty box as well.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/11 at 01:48 PM ET

Could be flopping or could be getting punched in the face where you have stitches on the inside and the outside from being hit by a puck really fracking hurts.

Posted by vansteve on 05/23/11 at 02:01 PM ET

Clowe gives Kesler a mild shove. Kesler turns around and whacks at his ankles. Clowe pushes him and starts to skate away, looking down-ice away from Kessler. Kesler steps in front of Clowe and sticks his jaw right in Clowe’s frame of vision. Kesler isn’t a rookie from the swiss leagues; he knows when a guy pushes him, turns away, and he gets back in the guy’s face he’s asked for a punch in no uncertain terms.

He does this, then flops because he’s trying to draw a match penalty and maybe a suspension, if he’s lucky. San Jose’s a worse team without Clowe, so it’s worth a try, no matter how much of a longshot it is in Campbell’s NHL.

Columbus used to have a player named Tyler Wright, who re-enacted this exact sequence of events every single time his team was down a goal: find a guy away from the play after a whistle, slash his ankles or hands, maybe say something, stick his jaw out, get punched, play dead. Nashville, or whoever Columbus happened to be playing at the time, weren’t a bunch of bullies; they just fell for his act.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/23/11 at 02:44 PM ET

awould's avatar

Clowe gives Kesler a mild shove. Kesler turns around and whacks at his ankles., etc etc etc

That entire description must be what it is like to see the world in SharkVision! I don’t really see what steviesteve described. I guess Clowe’s “frame of vision” includes the entire periphery since he turned around to face Kesler and then punched him.

If you have to pick apart the entire incident, frame by frame, and then craft some weak justification for each individual bit, then your argument sucks. What happened was the game ended, words were said, Clowe shoved him, said something, turned and skated away and Kesler went back w/ some words and Clowe turned and punched him.

Simple as that. I know words can sting sometimes, but punching is what’ll get you in trouble. Maybe thin-skin is why SJ can’t ever get to the Finals.

Posted by awould on 05/23/11 at 03:07 PM ET

I love that everyone commenting here is an ultimate fighter.  Everyone seems to understand that paper cuts obviously hurt more than getting sucker punched in the mouth after taking a puck to the face, losing a tooth, getting a bunch of dental work, and 17 stitches.

Internet tough guys are the best, especially when none have even been in a hockey fight.

Posted by Toma (3:10 To Overtime) on 05/23/11 at 05:09 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s amazing, because I actually did just get a papercut at my desk.

In response, I fell to the ground clutching my hand for five minute hoping that my boss would give me the rest of the day off while outlawing paper in my office.

Instead, I get to go to a “counseling” session.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/11 at 05:50 PM ET

I don’t know why I would have Sharkvision from Pittsburgh.

It actually doesn’t matter if you can understand that Kesler was going to get punched or why. He did, which is why he played dead.

Incidentally, if he had tricked Campbell into suspending Clowe, hey, more power to him.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/23/11 at 06:02 PM ET

awould's avatar

Sorry for not knowing where you’re from StevieSteveScubaSteven. Or caring. Your post seemed to blame Kesler for getting punched, and acted like Clowe had no choice what with Kesler talking and all. Clowe was just as in his face, if not more, and then he punched him. Sour grapes on his part. If he gets suspended, which if history is any lesson he won’t, it will be his own fault. What Kesler did before or after is irrelevant to the fact that he got punched. And Clowe is a moron for punching him.

Also, this is a dive:

And, of course, this all time classic:

Posted by awould on 05/23/11 at 06:20 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Must’ve prepped for the game by watching tape of Jumbo Joe.
Posted by Garth on 05/23/11 at 11:55 AM ET

Nope.  Not saying that.

Just saying Jumbo gave him some something to emulate.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/23/11 at 06:28 PM ET