Emrick Leaving The Devils, Now Exclusive With Versus/NBC

from Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick at Devils.com,

To the marvelous fans of the New Jersey Devils:

A good friend advised me several years ago that before any major decision, you should look in the mirror and look at your birth certificate.

Since my contracts with MSG, VERSUS, and NBC all expired late this spring, this was another of those times. I discovered that the birth certificate couldn’t be changed and it showed me to be 65 in a few days.

I’ve been extremely fortunate to have been able to spend 23 incredible years with the MSG Network channels and 21 equally enjoyable years—including 3 Stanley Cup championships—with the New Jersey Devils.  However, considering the long-term significance of this decision, I was able to construct a lighter regular season-schedule and the usual complement of Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final games for NBC and VERSUS.

But that assurance of less travel and fewer games has regrettably led me to end my association with the MSG Network channels and the Devils.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, VERSUS, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+emrick, nbc

Comments

SnLO's avatar

Oh no! We were already at the over-saturation point with this guy conversating during game broadcasts.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/21/11 at 01:07 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The fact that Doc and Pee-Air are both going to be exclusive with NBC/Versus reinforces what they announced some time ago - that NBC/Versus are going to carry more NHL games.  And what I really hate about that is that, not only do I despise their broadcast team (with Icky Eddie Olcyk), but that means fewer games available on Center Ice and Gamecenter Live where we can enjoy Mickey and Ken.  (Does this also mean fewer games on FSD?)  Anyway you look at it, it sucks.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/21/11 at 01:24 PM ET

JPBowman's avatar

Cannot stand the “storytime” that Doc weaves into broadcasts… usually missing quality action.

Ugh.  Sometimes I *swear* I can hear him looking at the player program.

Posted by JPBowman on 07/21/11 at 01:51 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

wait ! Mark (Flounderr) Madden said the Pens were going to sign him to take over for Steigy

NOT !! another BS rumor from the very beginning

Posted by Evilpens on 07/21/11 at 02:16 PM ET

I thought Emrick was already exclusive to NBC. Well, I guess NBC and Versuck are going to be broadcasting even more games than before, sadly.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/21/11 at 02:53 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

It’d be great to know who at NBC/Vs is making these decisions.  I can think of a laundry list of play by play guys around the league that call a better game that Emerick.  The editorial quips by him (and any other play by play guy) are annoying and always overboard.

Top that off with Pierre McGuire (who is the worst sideline reporter in any sport), and you’ve got some hysterically sad perception of how best to market this game in the US.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/21/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

nooo. Imo next to Ken and Mickey, Doc was the best there is.  I happen to live in the devs area too, so i’d get to hear him alot.  The thing is, Chico Resch is incredibly awful; so whoever replaces Doc has his work cut out.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/21/11 at 03:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I don’t mind Emrick, but still, to this day no one has replaced Gary Thorne.

Ken and Mick’ll do though.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/21/11 at 03:08 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Ann Arbor on 07/21/11 at 01:05 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/21/11 at 01:08 PM ET

My crabby-ness is founded upon the Bob Cole (in his prime of course) and Pat Summeral (in his prime as well) play by play, have a good voice, know when its the right time to be excited (which is a card seldom played),  keep the editorial quips next to nothing, and set up your analyst for some good discussion points.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/21/11 at 03:16 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/21/11 at 01:16 PM ET

I see what you’re saying. But I just always liked the way Doc told stories and used the English language.  I found it highly entertaining.  Then again, I was a huge John Madden fan during Football season smile

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/21/11 at 04:22 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Devils fans you just lucked out.  I’m sorry but Doc is one of the worst announcers I’ve come across, he’s the extreme to joe buck.  Actually I feel sorry for my ears.  He destroys the game.  He over-sensationalizes every moment of the game, making you think there was a memorable save when somebody really just went offside.  Anytime there is something in the offensive zone he screams.  He doesn’t know what he’s talking about-the comments/terms he uses are goofy and make no sense.  I don’t care how long he’s been calling game; it’s obvious he still does not know much about the game.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/21/11 at 10:11 PM ET

Emerick can bore the paint off the walls. I don’t get what some folks see him and especially NBC/versus.  He has poor voice quality, his insights are those of a geek and he fails to build real drama in a broadcast.

Posted by timbits on 07/21/11 at 11:11 PM ET