Eaves Remains A Red Wing

Comments

Good keep.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:12 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Agreed.

The Wings now sit at 3.7m in space:

Helm and Abdelkader (should cost ~1.5m max)
Modano
Experienced third line defensemen

Seems like they can’t afford to pay Modano more than 1.25m as they would probably need 1m to sign something decent for that third defender.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/07/10 at 02:16 PM ET

Even better, Helm & Abdelkader (which will probably be closer to $2M) and a veteran defenseman and no 40 year olds.  At all.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:20 PM ET

I feel like that is a steal for Eaves, he could have made 1.5 elsewhere.  I wonder if the wings promised him a significant boost next year if he continues to play well.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 07/07/10 at 02:20 PM ET

Draper (and probably Lidstrom) will becoming off the books next year, so they’ll definitely be able to give Eaves and Miller raises next year if they play like they did last year.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:21 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by wingsnut25 on 07/07/10 at 01:20 PM ET

I’m a little confused by Capgeek right now, my understanding is that Boston continues to supplement an additional 250k of Eaves salary for the next three seasons:

Anybody know how this thing was structured and why it shows up as negative dollars for this season?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/07/10 at 02:24 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Kindl has to play. So you’re looking for a #7, not a #6. At which point, might as well just try to keep Meech for cheap. He fits the bill.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/07/10 at 02:25 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I Heart Eaves.

Good price too.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/07/10 at 02:27 PM ET

No, they bought him out of his contract, which means that part of his contract still counts against their cap.

You may be confusing buyouts with re-entry waiver claims.  When someone is claimed on re-entry waivers, the team that waived him has to pay half his salary for the duration of the contract.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:29 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 01:20 PM ET

Our captain is 40’something.  wink
Great signing at a great price for Eaves.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/07/10 at 02:32 PM ET

Kindl has to play. So you’re looking for a #7, not a #6.

Yeah, he has to play, I don’t expect that they’ll having him playing 20 minutes a night every night.

My understanding is that they’re looking for a #5 to be the safe, consistent, no-worry guy on the 3rd pairing with Ericsson and Kindl battling it out for #6.  I’d guess they’re looking to sign someone for a year with the hopes that next year Ericsson and Kindl would be the full-time third pairing.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:32 PM ET

Our captain is 40’something.

He’s already under contract though.  I’m talking about free agent signings, Mr Smartypants! raspberry

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 02:35 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

WooHoo(!)

I Heart Eaves.

Meijer pricing too.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/07/10 at 03:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 01:20 PM ET

What is it with us? I don’t dislike older players. Their value and experience is a huge plus, but I prefer the younger guys at this point. We have enough older players to fill the bill.

We do need a D-man. Badly. Yes, even an older one, but definitely under 40.

I heart Eaves heart. A great signing.Get ready for #12. Here we come.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/07/10 at 03:58 PM ET

I don’t dislike older players.  I dislike bringing in an older player who isn’t appreciably better than the young guys we have.  And I dislike what I’m reading from Holland, because whenever he talks about Modano it seems that the first thing he says is “he’s a hometown boy”, and I think that is the worst reason to bring him in.

We do need a D-man. Badly.

Exactly.  Need.  Modano is not a need.  He’s a want.  He’s an “it would be cool to have him”, but we don’t need him.

People keep bringing up Dallas Drake, and it frustrates me because this isn’t anything near the same situation as when Drake was brought in.

When Drake was brought in, he filled several needs.  He was the grit.  He was a veteran presence who had drive to win a Stanley Cup before he retired.  Three years ago we were in need of another veteran.  Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Cleary, Kronwall and Stuart were all in their mid-late 20s.  They’re all “veteran presences” right now.  And on top of them we still have Rafalski, Lidstrom, Homer, Draper and Bertuzzi.  All “veteran presences”.

A veteran third-line forward isn’t anywhere on the “what we need” list.

Sure, Modano had more points last year than Miller, but this was Miller’s first full year in the league.  Everyone was so high on him and now it’s: “Sorry, we don’t want you to possibly be a longterm part of this team because we want to bring in a 40 year old for one last lap.  He played Little Caesar’s hockey, ya know”?

Hey, would it have been good if, at the end of 06-07, we brought in a 40 year old player for one year and cut Johan Franzen loose because the vet had gotten 35 points and Franzen only got 30?

Bah!

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 04:33 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Not only is the situation different, but they are very different players, too, in both talent and temperament. Each provides different things to a team.

I agree with Garth that Modano falls into the “nice to have” category instead of the “need to have” category.  That said, if he is inexpensive and costs no one else, I can get behind it if for no other reason than SOMEONE is going to have some weird injury in training camp, and that way the Red Wings have a spare forward among their flock.

I still think he thinks long and hard about spending another offseason training and then another season dealing with the travel, the grind, the nicks and bruises and the hassle, and decides that he’s had enough and it’s time to stop playing.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/07/10 at 07:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Excellent re-signing.  Truly excellent.

Not nearly as excellent as Lebda signing in Toronto for 1.5m/yr, but….

Posted by Primis on 07/07/10 at 11:16 PM ET