Early Playoff Questions?

What surprises you more, Vancouver down 0-2 to Los Angeles or Pittsburgh down 0-2 to Philadelphia?

Will The Blues defeat the Sharks tonight to even the series?

Any of the playoff goalies leaving a lasting impression on you so far?

How about a player you really didn’t follow during the regular season, can you say “wow, I didn’t know this guy was so good”?

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

petshark's avatar

I think the Flyers are surprising me more, because of the way they won those games.  On the one hand, they did that a lot in the regular season, on the other, it is completely the WRONG WAY to win playoff games.  Sheesh.  I can’t believe it worked twice.

I thought the Kings might be a problem for the Canucks, especially after their last two games with the Sharks.  They have evolved a lot this season and they are a bloody-minded opponent.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 04/14/12 at 03:03 PM ET

Buck's avatar

Early playoff questions?  Yeah… WHY wasn’t Weber suspended for at least one game?

It does my heart good to see the Flightless Birds drop two at home.  I hope they get swept.

Posted by Buck from The High Plains of New Mexico on 04/14/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Well…  East BIAS make them look better then they are, actually, IMHO
Every time the Wings play east teams, its a high score game, most of them were never introduced to the concept of defense. Gooning and “dump-and-chase” tactics, sure, but actual defense, its very rare on a eastern team

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 03:44 PM ET

I can’t say that what happens in the play offs really surprises me anymore, only because, over time, it’s been proven that all bets are off once they start. Everything you wanted to believe or even had good reason to believe can go completely pear-shaped.

Having said that, I think St. Louis is going to win in their next game against SJ.

Posted by Carthage on 04/14/12 at 03:48 PM ET

phillyphever's avatar

Well…  East BIAS make them look better then they are, actually, IMHO

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Ah…Boston? NYR? Correct me if I’m wrong, but those two teams have great defenses.

Posted by phillyphever on 04/14/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Posted by phillyphever on 04/14/12 at 02:26 PM ET

I agree, but they are the exception
Can you honestly say the defense from the other 6 eastern playoff contenders is good?
And these 8 are suposed to be the better of the conference, lets not even go to the botton 7…

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/14/12 at 04:36 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Last 2 games DET played against Boston?
Det 6 Bos 1
Det 4 Bos 2

Yeah pretty good D. pfft.
Rangers do have a good defense though.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/14/12 at 04:58 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The Rangers are a very good team with good D, solid scoring and very good goaltending. I EXPECT the Rangers to do great things this year, which is not meant to be the safest prediction of all time since they already have, but that with the pieces that they have assembled they should be great.

What surprised me was two highly penalized teams get almost nothing called and two very clean teams get more than a dozen calls in one game.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/14/12 at 05:48 PM ET

phillyphever's avatar

“Minnesota had a better defense then any of the eastern teams, and they end up in 12th place on west…  But I disgress, their problem was offense”

Exactly. I’ll use a football analogy here: unless a team is like the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs, it’s hard for any team to just win with defense alone. Offense, defense and special teams are all important to win. Too bad my team hasn’t done well in the defensive part of the game

Posted by phillyphever on 04/14/12 at 06:17 PM ET

I’ll even take it a step further and say that you really can’t be totally unbalanced in either direction because it just eliminates any margin for error.  If you rely too much on defense then somewhere in the playoffs a stroke of bad luck, maybe a bad penalty call or a weird bounce, is going to happen and you’re not going to be able to score and recover.  Likewise if a team leans to heavily towards offense they’re going to run into a team that plays enough defense to slow them down a little and has the players or system to take advantage of the mismatch the other way.

As far as being too defensive, that’s why I haven’t been sold on the Blues all year.  I just don’t think they have the top end offensive players to be able to match up with a team that is able to put 2-3 on the board against them consistently.  They may get past the Sharks, they may not, but eventually it’s going to catch up to them.  That’s also why I think the Preds, especially after adding Radulov, are more dangerous than they’ve ever been.  They’ve always been good enough defensively to compete but relied too much on hard working goals and the power play to be able to win 4 out of 7 in the playoffs on a regular basis.  This year they have a gamebreaker in Radulov who can score an easy goal, or a goal that comes from nowhere, and they still have a lot of nice offensive depth and 2 way players to be able to score without totally abandoning defense.

Posted by RoneFace on 04/14/12 at 09:08 PM ET