Eager Suspended Four Games

via Craig Custance tweet,

Ben Eager gets four games for punching Colby Armstrong

added 12:18pm,

Toronto (January 8, 2011) – Atlanta Thrashers forward Ben Eager has been suspended for four games and will forfeit $20,752.68 in salary for delivering a blow to the head with a punch to Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong in NHL game #605 on January 7, the National Hockey League announced today.

Eager’s fine is based on his average annual salary and is calculated under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 17:05 of the second period. Eager was assessed a match penalty under Rule 21.1 Attempt to Injure.

Eager will miss games Jan. 9 at Carolina, Jan. 14 against Philadelphia, Jan. 15 at Dallas and Jan. 17 at Florida. He is eligible to return Jan. 20 against Tampa Bay.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Atlanta Thrashers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ben+eager

Comments

Five too few.

Then again, this is like suspending a guy for the season for old Colie.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/08/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Good.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

that was fast, and your right Steve, too few games.

Wonder how long till Kostopoulis gets his?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/08/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Jeff - Most people here wanted Eager suspended “for the rest of the season” so Ramsay wouldn’t have an excuse to play him. While I agree, at least he’s out for four. It’s honestly more than I expected from Colie, given his history of “justice.”

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/11 at 03:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Eager responds to the suspension at the AJC.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/11 at 04:08 PM ET

From the link The Emperor provided:

“I’m surprised in one way, but there is no parity in these suspensions that are handed out,” Eager said following Saturday’s practice. “The last two incidents I’ve seen, they knocked a guy out with no glove on and get no fine. The [Milan] Lucic incident [against Thrashers defenseman Freddy Meyer] he suckers a guy that’s now even looking with no glove on he gets fined $2,500. Then Jody Shelley does the same thing to a guy who is watching and he gets two games. I get four somehow for hitting a guy with my glove on, that is looking right in my face. We are looking eye to eye.  I guess [NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell] wanted a quiet weekend. He didn’t want the Toronto media calling him all weekend. He did what he had to do.

“It is what it is. It’s four games. I will deal with it and move on.”

He’s voicing what so many people are have been saying for so long:  Campbell is lousy at his job.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/08/11 at 04:36 PM ET

Same point I would make if I was Eager. Campbell has lost control of the disciplinary situation.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/08/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Wonder how long till Kostopoulis gets his?

I missed this, but just saw the hit. Hoolllleeeeee shit. That man deserved more than four. To make matters worse, he wasn’t even assessed a match penalty, just two for roughing? Garbage.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/11 at 05:38 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m glad Eager got suspended, but I’m even happier that he had the guts to come out and say what the fans have been saying about the policy.  He might find himself in even more hot water (or even lighter in the wallet, to use a more suitable metaphor), but it needs to be addressed.  The Lucic punch is still the worst of the three incidents I’ve seen and carried with it the lightest punishment.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/08/11 at 06:05 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Alan,
He did get a 5 min match for attempt to injure.  And I suspect THAT is why he was suspended - not for the actual hit per say…

I agree with most in that Campbell (and his entire team) sucks @$$.  if we did a job like this we’d never have a pay check coming in.

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 01/08/11 at 08:13 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Kostopoulis got a match?

I know why Eager was suspended. I’m wondering why Kostopoulis has yet to be.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/11 at 09:37 PM ET

Alan's avatar

... And having looked it up, I was right. Kostopoulis did not receive a match, just a 2min roughing.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/11 at 09:38 PM ET