Duh!

via Shawn Mitchell of Puck-Rakers,

Winger Colton Gillies said he tried to pick a fight late in Tuesday’s loss to the Red Wings but found no takers.

Colton, are you sure you knew you were playing the Wings?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

I know the BJ’s need to get their fans into games, but having the Wings’ play in their barn should be enough ... without resorting to improv boxing.

wink

Posted by w2j2 on 02/29/12 at 06:20 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

So was McKenzie, I don’t know how they let Helm take 3 or 4 blows to the face and not call roughing considering the puck was at center ice by the time Helm got away

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/29/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

I was there.  Nobody’s showing up, doesn’t matter how many fights happen or don’t happen.  Not even sure what the official attendance was but well more than half were wings fans (as usual) and the arena looked a GOOD 2/3 full, thats about it.  Wings can usually sell that place out regardless of it being a weeknight or not.

Posted by Zaze on 02/29/12 at 06:57 PM ET

Gillies tried out for the movie Goon, but they wanted people who could skate.

What a useless hockey player, and I use the term hocey player rather loosely.

Posted by Mick Kern on 02/29/12 at 07:41 PM ET

Apparently I can’t spellz…(or proof read)

hockey…not hocey*

I tried out for the Grade 8 spelling bee, but apparently they wanted people who could spell.

(*hocey - a little known Canadian dish consisting of horse radish and moose)

Posted by Mick Kern from Toronto on 02/29/12 at 07:43 PM ET

perfection's avatar

maybe that’s why they started Macdonald… all you have to do to pick a fight with the Wings is bowl over Jimmy Howard one time. He seems to be up for it every time. Though you will be punching his mask while the stink glove just envelopes your entire head… even goons don’t match up well against Jimmy.

(on a related note: should I feel guilty that, along with simple compassion, one of the main reasons I want Sidney Crosby to recover fully is so Jimmy Howard can punch him in the head again… and again?)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 02/29/12 at 09:05 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I often drive to C-bus for Wings games (it’s the nearest arena to my home) and it’s usually wings fans outnumbering BJ fans. There are a lot of families who go, presumably on some kind of package or promotional tickets. But of the hockey fans in attendance, it’s almost always visitors over homers. I’ve seen CBJ play the Habs, Wings, Sabres and Blackhawks and I have yet to see hardcore CBJ fans in greater numbers than the visitor fans.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/01/12 at 11:39 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

The Jackets have a long history with players that fight to get a cheap rise out of the fans.  See: Jody Shelley, Jared Boll, and now, Colton Gillies.  Its one of the most annoying aspects of living in CBJ-land.

The CBJ are, and always have been, a gimmick.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/01/12 at 02:40 PM ET