Ducks Question Pavelski Shootout Goal

from David Pollak of Working the Corners,

The game-winning shootout goal by Joe Pavelski featured a nifty move where he applied the brakes in front of Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller, then fired a quick shot that he couldn’t stop. The puck never stopped moving forward, but whether Pavelski did was subject to debate.

As was whether that mattered.

The Ducks were unhappy, but they weren’t exactly sure whether they were entitled to be.

“We don’t [know the rules]. That’s the problem,” Ryan Getzlaf said afterward. “Everything’s interpretation. I can’t even make a comment on it because I don’t really know what the rule is. Whatever they think is the rule that night.”

Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau knew the rule – puck must keep moving forward, but not necessarily the player – but allowed as to how his view of it would change based on what side of the shot he was on.

“I thought he stopped,” Boudreau began. “It’s not a vague rule but it’s a weird rule that you are allowed to stop but the puck is not allowed to stop. He came to a dead stop, but they OK’d it in Toronto.”

more on the game... and watch the shootout goal below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Looks like both player and puck stopped to me.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/01/13 at 02:44 PM ET

this is the dumbest way to end a hockey game.

Posted by brians neck on 12/01/13 at 03:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The puck stopped to. It shouldn’t have counted.

If you pause it at :01, :02, :03, :04, :05, :06, :07, :08, :09, or :10, you can clearly see that the puck isn’t moving.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/01/13 at 03:19 PM ET

this is the dumbest way to end a hockey game.

That’s really the bottom line as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by godblender on 12/01/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Take a close look at the time he puts on the brakes….he goes forehand-backhand-forehand in quick succession.

During the brief backhand he actually stops the forward motion of the puck to tee it up for the shot off the forehand….

in my opinion I would call it a no-goal.

Posted by old man hockey on 12/01/13 at 05:39 PM ET

I’m done with the shootout. ANYTHING but the shootout. even ties are better to me.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 12/02/13 at 02:39 PM ET