Dreaming Of A Playoff Return For Crosby

from Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

Penguins fans dream about captain Sidney Crosby returning from his 14-month bout with concussions and ending the most challenging chapter of his life by lifting the Stanley Cup.

Turns out some of his teammates share that dream.

“We’re hoping it’s going to be like Christmas morning one day,” defenseman Ben Lovejoy said. “We’re going to walk in and, ‘Oh, cool. We get the best player in the world back.’ “

Crosby skates before, during or after Penguins practice almost every day. He still looks like the player who dominated the NHL before two hits he absorbed in January 2011 changed everything.

Crosby regularly puts on a show in practice and, if his symptoms disappear soon, could be on the ice this postseason. And that’s a tempting thought for his teammates.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Have a feeling it is going to be more Like sneaking downstairs during the Night to see what Sanat left & catch your Mom & Dad putting out the presents red face

Posted by Evilpens on 03/05/12 at 02:20 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Not completely sure what Evilpens meant by that, but I definitely share the dream that he’ll be back in top form for the playoffs and bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/05/12 at 02:27 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I think if he does come back this year, he’ll be out just as quick. These concussions have really put a damper on the sport. Even coaches are getting them now.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/05/12 at 02:30 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Unfortunately, with Kris Letang possibly out for the rest of the season, it won’t matter if Crosby comes back. May as well shut him down for the rest of the year….

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 03/05/12 at 02:35 PM ET

I think the East is for the taking, so a Crosby-led Pens team, even without Letang, has as good a shot as anyone, IMO.

The Bruins have looked hot and cold for a while now, and really have trouble scoring. Philly has zero goaltending when it matters. The Rangers look solid but something doesn’t feel right (I’d say they’re the faves, tho). Everyone beyond that aren’t all that strong.

Posted by Chris from Ottawa on 03/05/12 at 02:44 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I gotta say if I were Sid and the Pens I’d sit him and start over next year.  I’ll bet my last dollar Sid doesn’t last through the playoffs without getting his bell rung again.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/05/12 at 02:45 PM ET

JMK's avatar

I gotta say if I were Sid and the Pens I’d sit him and start over next year.

Seriously.  Take the time off.  Don’t risk ending your career.  Although it’s entirely possible that already happened….

Posted by JMK on 03/05/12 at 03:14 PM ET

It’s obvious the NHL powers to be don’t care about the players getting concussions. Players are still going for the head all the time with little regard for the opposing player. look at Lateng, an all star, future superstar to promote the game. He gets another head shot and is probably our for the season. Only a 2 min penalty and no suspension. If you were Crodby, would you want to come back in the same position.

If you go for the head shot, it should be 10 game min suspension, across the board. The only reason Matt Cooke learned to stop going for the head was his 17 games suspension last year. Make hitting the head a standard call that results in a suspension. Players skating 1/4 length of the ice and ramming another player in the head should be a no-brainer 10 games and at least a 5 min penalty. That is the only way things will change.

Posted by bb boy from work on 03/05/12 at 03:53 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

well don’t cha Know Shannahan said that Letang put himself in that position to be hit by lunging for puck, That is the equivalent of the Woman asked to be raped because she was dressed Provocatively.

In other words Shannahan is no better than Campbell & the NHL as a whole is still in the dark ages

Posted by Evilpens on 03/05/12 at 04:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Dear Pens and Pens fans…

Stop the dreaming.  Do the right thing and don’t let him play this year.  Give him time.  Months still.  And then see what happens.  He might finally be able to come back then, for good.

You’re playing with fire trying to hurry him though.

Posted by Evilpens on 03/05/12 at 01:16 PM ET

Is this a Pens fans’ idea of Godwin’s Law or something?  Yeesh.

Get this around your misshapen head:  Sometimes the guy that gets drilled bears some of the responsibility for being in the position.

Posted by Primis on 03/05/12 at 04:30 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I understand the thinking regarding shutting him down for the season to add on those extra months, but considering how he has come back and gone out again, I think he’ll be sure not to come back until he is 100% ready.  If he feels that he is completely ready, and the doctors agree, I don’t see a reason to hold him out longer.  No matter when he plays, there will always be the chance of taking a big hit.  It’s part of the game, and he is definitely aware of that and seems willing to take the risk (as the other 700 or so players in the NHL do every day, even many with previous concussions).

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/05/12 at 04:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

My goodness what a terribly misshapen and offensive analogy.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/05/12 at 05:01 PM ET

Look at this…..lots of fans from other teams advocating shutting down Sid for the season “for his own good and the future of the team.” Scared? wink

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 03/05/12 at 05:07 PM ET

VAHockeyFan:  Scared?  Yes.  Of losing him permanently.  I think fans of any team would prefer to play their opponents at full strength, but not at risk of that.

JJ: Shocking, eh?

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 03/05/12 at 05:27 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

The Letang hit perfectly illustrates what not protecting yourself looks like.  You can’t play as though no one is gonna hit you (see Taylor Hall).

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/05/12 at 05:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 03/05/12 at 02:07 PM ET

You are joking right?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/05/12 at 05:51 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Yeah he’s joking.  Thus the winky smilie.

I think.

Posted by Primis on 03/05/12 at 05:54 PM ET

Yes…..I just assumed that everyone would know the “wink” meant sarcasm. But I have to say that it seems like there are a lot of fans not from the Burgh who are concerned about his wellbeing and advocating him staying out. Not that I don’t think that he should too, as much as it pains me to say that. Unfortunately, I don’t think we can run the table without him.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 03/05/12 at 06:40 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Given the medical omissions before his recent return, I’m quite sure he’ll have everything double-checked before returning this season. If he’s physically healthy and symptom free, there’s no reason to end his season as a further precaution. But the emphasis must be complete recovery before playing a single game.

I don’t think Crosby is in any real risk of ending his playing career as long as competent medical advice is provided.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 03/05/12 at 06:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 03/05/12 at 03:40 PM ET

I recommend that the Blackhawks take the exact same measure of caution as far as Jonathan Toews is concerned as well.

wink

Wait, shit. Nevermind the smiley. I actually DO hope they do that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/05/12 at 06:52 PM ET