Dorsett Accuses Ovechkin Of Spitting In His Face

from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch,

Blue Jackets agitator Derek Dorsett practices his art at a high level.

The right shove or jersey tug, the witty insult, the thunderous body check — Dorsett knows the places and time when each is most effective.

So it was curious that Dorsett seemed especially preoccupied with Capitals star Alex Ovechkin during a 4-2 loss on Saturday, considering that Ovechkin wasn’t much of a factor during the first two periods.

“I haven’t told many people this, but he spit in my face,” Dorsett said. “That got me a little more mad.”

Dorsett said Ovechkin spit on him when they were face-to-face during a fracas in which both were given two-minute minors (cross-checking for Dorsett, roughing for Ovechkin) at 2:38 of the second period.

“That’s why I was yelling at the ref so much and yelling at him in the penalty box,” Dorsett said. “That’s probably one of the most disrespectful things someone can do, especially a guy who is the best player in the league. It’s classless. He’s supposed to be a role model for the game. It’s unbelievable.”

added 11:59am, via Katie Carerra of Capitals Insider,

After some confusion over what the word “spit” meant, Ovechkin denied Dorsett’s claim:

“No, no, no. I don’t know. Show me that moment, I want to see it. No.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin, derek+dorsett

Comments

Primis's avatar

Considering Dorsett’s reputation, I’ll believe Ovie until I see some evidence.  It’s really hard to believe things like this from guys that are known commodities as less-than-clean-or-moral players.  Dorsett crosses lines multiple times every game…

Posted by Primis on 01/04/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& OV doesn’t ?

Posted by Evilpens on 01/04/12 at 03:34 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

Dorsett sure seamed a bit reserved (at least in the video I saw) for someone that just got spat in the face.  Ovie’s no angel, but anyone that I know who gets spat in the face isn’t going to whine to the refs looking for a penalty.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 01/04/12 at 04:24 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

seemed, not seamed (sorry)

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 01/04/12 at 04:25 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Dorsett is in the same class of players as Torres and Tootoo.  He wouldn’t be good enough to play in this league if he wasn’t a professional sh*thead.  I’ll take Ovie’s word on this one.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/04/12 at 04:39 PM ET

Clicky.  I don’t see where he spat on Dorsett at all.

And I’ve watched this vid six or seven times already.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/04/12 at 05:02 PM ET

Oilers Rock's avatar

if it was nash or umberger i would have believed it….

Posted by Oilers Rock from Edmonton, Alberta on 01/04/12 at 05:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Dorsett had said that Ovechkin spit steroids in his face, I’d believe it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/04/12 at 05:46 PM ET

If Dorsett had said that Ovechkin spit steroids in his face, I’d believe it.

??  Am i missing something?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/04/12 at 06:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

One of the Steigerwald brood accused Ovechkin of previously having taken steroids and now being off the juice as part of what’s wrong with him a week or so ago.

Tongue planted firmly in-cheek there.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/04/12 at 07:34 PM ET