Don’t Challenge Burke On His Integrity

from Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun,

Attention, Mike Murphy.

Brian Burke’s phone is on 24/7 if you want to give him another ring.

And if anyone doesn’t like it, they can go jump, as the locals here say, in the “hah-bah.”

The two men took some heat this week when Murphy, during his deliberations on the potential punishment of the Vancouver Canucks’ Aaron Rome, publicly admitted that he consulted Burke over the protocol used to issue a suspension in a Stanley Cup final.

The revelation caused many critics, mainly centred in British Columbia, to cry foul, citing that Burke had a conflict of interest because, among other things, he had been fired by the Canucks. They also wagged an accusing finger at Burke, now the general manager of the Maple Leafs, for his alleged interest in the Sedins a couple of years ago when the twins were on the verge of becoming unrestricted free agents.

Burke delivered a strong message to all the cospiracy theorists out there when he was asked about the controversy at the NHL general managers’ meetings Wednesday in Boston.

“I could care less what people say,” Burke said. “I don’t give a damn about that stuff. If you want to question my trades, fine. But don’t question my integrity….

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brian+burke

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If you don’t want your integrity questioned, don’t get fined for trying to break the rules about talking with or about free agents.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/09/11 at 01:14 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Oh pardon me your highness. Maybe we should go out back and settle this with a duel?

Uh puhleasse!

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/09/11 at 01:17 PM ET

“alleged interest”?! They stated it on a Toronto radio show! They broke the rules but nothing happened because its Toronto, and you guys can do whatever you want!

Posted by Joe Boss on 06/09/11 at 01:45 PM ET

Burke is such a hypocrite…surely, as a former lawyer, he must see the obvious conflict of interest

Posted by KendallM from London, UK on 06/09/11 at 01:46 PM ET

“I could care less…I don’t give a damn about that stuff.

So…does he care or not?

Posted by Garth on 06/09/11 at 02:14 PM ET

i know its dumb, but after going through what he had to go through with the death of his son, i don’t mind him anymore…. i actually like him and the entertainment he brings to the game.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/09/11 at 02:28 PM ET

goon's avatar

Whether Burke help with the decision or not the four game suspension was the correct call…

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 06/09/11 at 02:42 PM ET

@gretzky_to_lemieux
You’re right, its ok that he has unfair influence and power in the NHL because he had tragedy in his personal life. Lets all just give Burke the Cup, drop our pants and bend over. After all, Burke deserves it!

Nobody on any other team ever had ANYTHING bad ever happen to them.
Burke deserves to break the rules!

Posted by Joe Boss on 06/09/11 at 02:45 PM ET

Is there a bigger blowhard in hockey than Burke?

I am in the minority but I actually think Rome should have gotten MORE games. Until these intentional head shots get 10- and 20-game suspensions without pay, the big blows and the reckless intent to injure will just keep on comin’.

HOWEVER, the fact that Burke was consulted by Murphy is a microcosm of what a joke this league has become. It’s an absolutely rudderless ship in terms of leadership. The commish is an overly defensive, cantankerous little man and it just trickles down from there.

Burke is awfully full of himself. Hope he gives away some more draft picks this summer and misses the playoffs a few more times. I’d go to my grave a happy man if Balsillie got an NHL team in Hamilton and made the playoffs before the Maple Laughs.

Posted by Eric H. on 06/09/11 at 02:48 PM ET

@goon
Your name is Goon?! Shouldnt it be Fairy? Keep your head up!
Hockey is a sport for men! 4 games in the Finals for a hit that was a half second late is insane! Any hit next season that is “a split second late” (as Mike Murphy said himself) it better be a 10 game suspension! Anyone with ANY hockey knowledge has said it was too many games. Forgive me if I dont take your side.

Posted by Joe Boss on 06/09/11 at 02:50 PM ET

well that was graphic, and way further than i was trying to say…. anywhooo, like i said, “i know its dumb”, but i was just trying to be honest.  I think it should have been more than 4 games.  Like I have said many times, the league set the bar with the cooke elbow, it should have followed that with leaving the bar where it was.  Everyones eyes were opened after seeing a guy get what amounted to 7 playoff games and 13 regular season games.  I am sure Horton would still be playing if the league would have continued that level of justice on each illegal hit that occurred after the infamous cooke elbow.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/09/11 at 02:58 PM ET

Integrity would be best defined by recusing yourself when there is a conflict of interest whether it is just perceived or not Mr. Burke.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 06/09/11 at 03:12 PM ET

goon's avatar

Your name is Goon?! Shouldnt it be Fairy? Keep your head up!

Go back and watch the video it was a blind side hit, Rome left his feet and hit Horton in the head… There is no reason a guy has to blast someone in the head. Four games was the right call…

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 06/09/11 at 03:28 PM ET

@goon
Blind side?!
ahhhh…. does anyone know what that means? It means from behind.
Or at least from the side and the player couldnt see it coming.
Heres a tip for Horton and you, when you pass the puck skating through the
nuetral zone, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND LOOK WHERE YOU’RE GOING!
they hit head on! Its not Romes fault Horton was watching his pretty little pass.

Posted by Joe Boss on 06/09/11 at 04:50 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 06/09/11 at 01:28 PM ET

I feel the need to chime in on your spreading of disinformation. Go back and read the transcript posted by Alanah McGinley on 06/07/11 at 02:48 PM ET

As reads:

Q.  Without speculating too much, had that hit occurred quicker, a split second after he released it, would that hit have been deemed legal under Rule 48?
MIKE MURPHY:  This has nothing to do with Rule 48.  This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit.  If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit.  We have them all the time.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/09/11 at 05:00 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

My problem with it wasn’t even related to Burke specifically, or the integrity of any GM.

It’s more an NHL league office integrity problem.

It is totally unacceptable for the league office to consult active GMs on issues like this, whether they have direct ties to the situation at hand or not, because it A) leaves the door open to unnecessary scrutiny for both the league and GM, as we are seeing here, and B) it puts the GM in a position where he may be able to push his own agenda ahead of giving “unbiased” advice.

And I don’t blame that on Burke (or any other GM that has been put in this position before). Those guys are employed to ultimately find the most on-ice success possible. I would actually harshly judge the GM that didn’t consider his own team and how his advice to the league in a situation like this may impact them.

I hate to side with Burke on anything because I think he’s easily the most overrated GM in NHL history, and I think he’s a blowhard. But, he’s kinda right here. Criticism should be directed at the NHL league office, not Burke.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/09/11 at 05:03 PM ET

It’s more an NHL league office integrity problem.

I have always felt Murphy in his limited role somehow made Campbell seem less incompetent, like he was placed there to make his boss look better. Burke on the other hand should have said, “Sorry Murf, are you an idiot? I can’t talk about another team’s player.” and then hung up the phone. I’m assuming Burke is the smarter of the two in this equation.

not Rome’s fault Horton was watching his pretty little pass

Yes. Hockey players should never look at the puck or where it is going, they should watch the other teams six skaters at all times, kind of like an early Versus broadcast of a hockey game. The puck should have a bell imbedded in it so you can find it without looking for it and making sure your team actually has possession when you make a pass.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 06/09/11 at 06:44 PM ET

It was said that Campbell usually consulted 20 or so people every time he had decision to make, including current coaches and GMs. So, consulting Burke is in line with previous actions.

As for the hit, for at least 50 years players should be safe from the worst body-checks when somebody else is controlling the puck. The play was at the wing, Rome just decided to take out somebody who had nothing to do with the play and that was always illegal.

Posted by Davor on 06/10/11 at 04:29 AM ET