Don Maloney Says No Conspiracy On The John Scott Trade

from Craig Morgan of Arizona Sports,

General manager Don Maloney responded to suggestions in the media that he helped orchestrate the trade of John Scott (and defenseman Victor Bartley) to Montreal for Jarred Tinordi (and forward Stefan Fournier) to rid the Coyotes and the NHL of its All-Star Game headache after Scott was voted captain of the Pacific Division.

“I was really surprised (TSN’s) Bob McKenzie suggested we might be working with the NHL to keep John Scott out of the All Star game,” Maloney said via text. “I found it incredible someone might believe this. The NHL doesn’t run our team nor (does it) have any influence on our player decisions.

“We had to create roster room (given our addition of Kevin Connauton) and find a way to add Tinordi’s salary. Scott was the only option Montreal would take to make this deal work.

“I do feel for John, but the harsh realty is that this is the business we are in. He is on an NHL one-way contract. Many players with similar skill sets (eg. Colton Orr) are playing in the minors on a minor-league salary.”

more on the Coyotes...

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+maloney, nhl

Comments

Primis's avatar

I had forgotten about them claiming Connauton.  That does add a new wrinkle into the whole thing.

Posted by Primis on 01/17/16 at 08:37 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Lies! All lies!

I for one would love to see Scott out there. Not only would it be a big embarrassment to the league that someone as limited as Scott can earn an NHL paycheck, but the thought of a big lumux like him slogging up and down the ice during 3-on-3 play (with REAL all-stars no less), would be highly entertaining.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/17/16 at 09:15 PM ET

MNWing's avatar

So, they used to run your team and I think they still do or at the very least have the leverage with that dumpster fire of a franchise to make that happen. Also, Maloney did draw a paycheck directly from the NHL when they were in charge there.

Everyone believes this, I’m not sure how incredible that is to believe….McKenzie certainly isn’t just anyone, one of the most highly respected in the business and therefore has the best sources!

Posted by MNWing on 01/17/16 at 10:19 PM ET

It’s bizarre to me that anyone gives a damn about John Scott, enormous guy who has made $500,000-1 million + per season, while having arguably sub-AHL skills and playing five minutes every few games. He’s getting paid like a surgeon to briefly lumber around behind every play and occasionally try and beat up some guy half his size.

Maloney has plenty of his own reasons for demoting and/or trading Scott…who had been waived earlier in the season, anyway. Scott is not an NHL player. I guess the Coyotes who actually have some pretty good young players, wanted to go another route. Second, if I’m Maloney and Scott defies my request to curb his ridiculously unjustified ego and bow out of an All-Star game he was only voted to as a joke, I wouldn’t want his me-first attitude on the team either. Scott actually seemed to think he really deserved the recognition of being there. ASG voting is a PR gimmick to engage fans…if fans vote for a clown show, they deserve the clown show they get.
It’s not some sacred vote of the people.

I’m sure the NHL absolutely hated the idea of Scott attending the ASG. Just because one party ends up doing something with an outcome another party approves of does not mean that a) one is doing the bidding of the other or b) that one party’s reason for reaching that decision is based on the same reasons the second party might agree.

Even by the standards of conspiracy theories, this one’s logic is pretty thin.

The idea that a GM should be completely handcuffed in regard to a sub-fringe player who doesn’t have any sort of no-move clause, just because some nitwits’ prank went viral…now *that * would be the tail wagging the dog.  People who are bent out of shape over this either seem to think the fans should run the league, or they want to see a nothing game turned into a total farce…for the sake of pure spectacle.

It’s a poetic result, given Scott’s apparent ego, but it doesn’t wash as a conspiracy.

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/18/16 at 03:43 AM ET

I feel bad for John Scott because, aside from being talentless, he was basically just a pawn in the *#$%@& game being played by a small group of assholes who just wanted to be assholes, then later on decided that they were making some grand statement about the All-Star game.

I also feel bad for him because, based on the interviews I’ve seen with him and the rumour that both the Coyotes and the NHL asked him to drop out and which he refused, he apparently has so little self-awareness that he thinks he was genuinely voted in by “fans”.

Posted by Garth on 01/18/16 at 10:06 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Yeah, next you’re gonna tell me that the Nazis burnt down the Reichstag and blamed it on the communists.  Impossible!

Every North American knows that the idea of a small group secretly pursuing an agenda is the most ludicrous idea imaginable.  It can’t happen.  It never has, and never could.  There are no secrets and no unknowns.  Everything is face value.  Considering anything other than the official version is treason.

Tinordi has garnered interest from several teams for years, so it makes total sense to trade him for a 27 year old minor leaguer and a goon that Montreal doesn’t want.

The league and the team asked this clown to sit out, and he refused.  Obviously this CANNOT have anything to do with him being suddenly exiled.  I mean, it’s clear that both sides got value.  Right?

I just can’t imagine Bettman doing something sneaky.  It’s insane.  Next you’re gonna tell me that the Nazis staged the border incident that led to the invasion of Poland.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/18/16 at 01:43 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Here’s another thing to consider:

If Maloney buried this joker because of the All-Star game, then why did he say that he didn’t?

Huh?

Can anyone answer that?  Checkmate conspiracy nuts.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/18/16 at 01:47 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Imagine this totally hypothetical scenario:

You really want to go to war in Iraq, and you have no reason.  So, now bear with me, you fabricate evidence of WMDs.  Now if this totally hypothetical scenario came to light, we would all know that it was an honest mistake, because CONSPIRACIES CAN’T EXIST!

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/18/16 at 04:06 PM ET