Don Cherry On His Firing

from Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun,

Don Cherry says he has been fired from Hockey Night in Canada by Sportsnet.

And the legendary star of Coach’s Corner says he will not walk back what he said on Saturday.

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on Coach’s Corner Nov. 9,” Cherry told me in a phone interview. “No problem.”

Cherry added: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

And Cherry said his words were not racial or bigoted but patriotic and respectful of our troops.

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

What a vile piece of sh!t.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/11/19 at 04:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from the CP at CBC,

Brash, outspoken, opinionated — longtime hockey broadcaster Don Cherry was never afraid to ruffle feathers during his Coach’s Corner segment on Hockey Night in Canada.

His latest outburst cost him his job….

Criticism of Cherry’s comments poured in quickly as video clips of the segment circulated online. A consistently polarizing figure throughout his long broadcasting career, Cherry also had his share of supporters weigh in on social media over the last couple days.

A hard-nosed career minor-leaguer who won coach of the year honours with the NHL’s Boston Bruins in 1976, Cherry moved in front of the camera in 1980.

Known for his outlandish suits and thumbs-up gesture, Cherry was liable to say anything during the popular first-intermission segment on Saturday nights. Over the years, he occasionally weighed in with thoughts on European players, francophones, and politics — to name only a few subjects — which often landed him in hot water.

Hockey Night in Canada was a longtime CBC Saturday night staple, but the show and its games moved to Sportsnet when Rogers landed a $5.2-billion, 12-year national broadcast rights deal with the NHL that began in 2014.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 05:37 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

What a vile piece of sh!t.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/11/19 at 03:54 PM ET

/quote]

DISAGREE! Sportsnet keeps going down the tubes, with this firing and many High profile employees!

Do you even live in Canada??  If not No opinion!  I don’t talk about the US immigration situation.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 11/11/19 at 06:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 11/11/19 at 05:10 PM ET

They’re two different situations, though.

This is a hockey site. One of the most famous hockey commentators on one of the (if not the) most famous and successful hockey programs in the game’s history made these comments. That makes it fair game to talk about here.

If Mike Milbury or Jeremy Roenick said something similar on NBC it would be legit to talk about it here, too. Surprisingly, Milbury hasn’t said anything like this ...yet.

Cherry was kept on too long. This was bound to happen.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/11/19 at 06:39 PM ET

TMH's avatar

He shouldn’t have brought in immigrants into his rant. That was unnecessary and diminished the validity of his argument. Canada doesn’t have first amendment protection. You can’t make blanket statements on a public forum about a group of people. Cherry of course has done this in the past and gotten away with it, but every dog has his day…

Cherry is really paying for his past statements (and his very big pay cheque). The list of groups he’s targeted over the years is long and distinguished. I expect he’ll resurface on another platform soon enough. Don off the chain won’t be pretty. If you thought he was vile before, get ready for Don 2.0. It won’t be a picnic.

Posted by TMH on 11/11/19 at 06:44 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by TMH on 11/11/19 at 05:44 PM ET

LOL, I think you’re right

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/11/19 at 06:53 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

In a world framed by “alternative facts”, “fake news”, and “walking back”, a term I absolutely loathe, Don Cherry can leave on his terms. Whether you agree with him or not, the man did not shrink from his comment, and stood behind the words he spoke. That’s the way he came up, in a different time, when someone’s word actually meant something. He is past his due date, but, he did not back down. Do I agree with him? No. I do, however, believe in his right to speak his mind.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/11/19 at 07:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Don Cherry was no stranger to controversy throughout his career, but his comments on Saturday night effectively ended his run on Hockey Night in Canada. What was it about this particular controversy that made it too hard to overlook? How does it affect his legacy? The Toronto Star’s Bruce Arthur and Dave Feschuk join SportsCentre to discuss.

Watch at TSN.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 07:23 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

This really frosts my ass.

Grapes gets 7 minutes to talk about hockey and occasionally show his patriotic side to support the troops and first responders.

Sportsnet knows Don has a tendency to go too far and they were just waiting for him to hang himself. The smart thing for them to do would have been tell Don to stick to hockey on air and give him a podcast for his various other rants and raves so he can say anything he wants.

I for one am fed up to here with overly sensitive overly critical people. Its way too easy to feel insulted and grab a smartphone to bitch about it on twitter and facebook. This politically correct bull$hit has to stop.

Get a life people.  If Don insults you then just don’t watch him.  Go to the fridge and get another beer.  Go to the bathroom and take a much needed dump.  Leave Don alone.  Lets see how articulate you are at age 85.  First lets see if you even make it to 85.

Don doesn’t speak english ... he speaks hockey, so whenever he goes off topic you know something is going to come out wrong.

One of the best ambassadors of hockey and a lame TV network fires him.  Shame on them.

And yes, I’m on Don’s side of the poppy issue too.  If you haven’t bought one then you a part of the “you people” Don was speaking of .... including you CharDeeMacDennis.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/11/19 at 08:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As I said previously, Don spoke the truth. P.C. is destroying everything.  angry

Posted by bigfrog on 11/11/19 at 09:33 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Well said Kate and others. Since Paul is letting this go political…

I do not raise the flag for a Red team or a Blue one. Neither looks out for the middle class nor does either give two shots about anything than filling their pockets off the backs of the working people of this country. The great divid that has been promoted, contrived and set into belief in this country is done so to keep us at each other’s throats while they steal are liberties and monies.

Let’s talk about the Vet thing. These men and woman are sent off to war and get killed or maimed and not been truly taken care of upon their return by this country (I cannot speak for Canadians) Ever! I’ve been involved with the wounded warriors for about 8 years and it sickens me that we the people need to raise money for these Vets when the country does a shit job of taking care them no matter if it’s a Blue or Red administration.

Our society has become overreacive to words and underreactive when needed most. Remember sticks and stones (or war) break bones but words will never hurt me.

For those you brave souls that think we need a Civil War in this country I advise you to watch Ken Burns The Civil War. It’s on Netflix.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/11/19 at 09:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Well dd, this is one time I expected comments to be social, political, take your pick.

Both sides of the argument where expected, just asking for respect of all KK members.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 09:46 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Paul’s avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 08:46 PM ET

I know and knew where you were coming from and totally agree with your actions. And yes Respect for one another should be first and foremost. In today’s society it seems lost to the Power of Being right at all costs.

Thanks Paul for you and this place.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/11/19 at 10:09 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ve been involved with the wounded warriors for about 8 years…

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit

As a vet, let me take a moment and thank you for your service, DD.

...it sickens me that we the people need to raise money for these Vets when the country does a shit job of taking care them no matter if it’s a Blue or Red administration.

I’ve been getting all of my health care through the VA for the past 10 years, and I have to say that there is a change in attitude these days. The implementation of that new attitude still hasn’t reached an acceptable level (waiting four months for an MRI is ridiculous), but I can see that the providers in the system are trying. It’s why I thank them every time I can for their service.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 10:32 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 09:32 PM

You may have thanked my sister in law. She gets reprimanded often for going the extra mile for you guys. And OTC thank you for your service.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/11/19 at 10:38 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Rogers/Sportsnet dragging HNIC down the tubes is a true statement. They paid the NHL way too much (5.2 Billion over 12 years). They got rid of regionalization of games, which meant no more Red Wings on CBC Windsor. The old announcers retired/have been replaced. Hosts/insiders are getting replaced with cheaper talent. It really has become a Maple Leafs pep rally at times—it’s hard to watch the blatant bias.

CBC lost a lot of revenue (goes to Rogers now) that used to pay for programming (some may be old enough to remember You Can’t Do That on Television, either Degrassi, or at least the Olympics).

TSN that basically built the channel around the NHL has suffered too.

Cherry has been opinionated since the start, but I really don’t think this is the worst thing he’s ever said.  He could have made the same point in a different way and been celebrated for the opinion such as they gave up their lives it’s on all Canadians particularly the younger ones to do more to remember their sacrifices.

But in the end this is Rogers opening to bring down yet another cost associated with programming. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to study their moves over the last decade.

Posted by d ca on 11/12/19 at 12:01 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Cancel Culture strikes again, funny it didn’t take down the Prime Minister of the country itself, who wore black face, but it came down hard on a old hockey commentator.  Its all fun and games until the cancel culture moves so far out of wack that it can be weaponized easily and often, its not there yet, but I will tell you, its not far away either. Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/12/19 at 09:41 AM ET

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/12/19 at 08:41 AM ET

Would definitely be interested in seeing the cross section of Canadians that voiced their outrage over Don’s comments who also voted for a Prime Minister that was photographed wearing blackface multiple times.

Posted by MZ2215 on 11/12/19 at 10:22 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ve been reading the comments on this topic the last day or two, just to hear what people think. For the most part I’ve been impressed at how civil things have been (though I know I’ve blocked a few people who likely took the low road).

Its been nice to see discussion about something naturally controversial, and I’ve seen some incredibly well put together thoughts. Lefty, your comments on the other thread really got me thinking and I appreciate how well you put together your thoughts.

I dont have much of an opinion about this as I’m not Canadian, but I do believe that this was a great excuse for him to be fired for cost savings. They wasted no time.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/12/19 at 10:47 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

You have to go out of the way and insert your own words into Mr. Cherry’s mouth to find what he said overtly racist.
He’s simply not wrong.

2 factors are important to understand, however. Canada does NOT have American type ‘first amendment’ speech protections and they are having a HUGE culture clash over political correct speech.
Mr. Cherry simply inserted himself into the discussion.

They have every ‘right’ to fire him, but I think it was a poor decision and in MY opinion, it reflects worse on Sportsnet than it does Mr. Cherry.
I, for one, will miss him….he’s very entertaining….but I do not look to him for cultural guidance as some in North America clearly must.

Posted by The Hurricane on 11/12/19 at 11:23 AM ET

A couple points I find it appropriate to point out, from my perspective:

- The prime minister wore black-face, IN THE PAST and apologized for it. Cherry made racist xenophobic comments Saturday night and still sees nothing wrong with it.

- Political correctness CAN go too far but I just don’t see this as being one of the cases. Cherry could have easily made his comments about patriotism and poppies without singling out races. While I don’t have numbers to back it up I suspect there are plenty of Canadian citizens who don’t wear poppies yet he chose to focus on another group.

- I have no qualms about Cherry getting shown the door on when he was shown the door. They gave him the leeway to talk about things outside the hockey universe. But Cherry crossed the line on more than one occassion. His image may be tarnished but it was his own doing.

- Frankly, it is sad that Cherry cannot see what he did was wrong. But that isn’t unusual for someone with a gigantic ego.

- Sound immigration policy can exist without racism. Not everybody who wants firm immigration policy is a racist. Not everybody who wants more compassionate immigration policy is for totally open borders. But there are extremists at both ends who want you believe those are the only two options and the media feeds off those extremists because it creates good ratings.

- I won’t miss Cherry one bit. Hockey is better without him. He’s had his time.

Posted by evileye on 11/12/19 at 12:54 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

The prime minister wore black-face, IN THE PAST and apologized for it.

Cancel culture don’t give a damn. :/

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/12/19 at 01:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The prime minister wore black-face, IN THE PAST
Posted by evileye on 11/12/19 at 11:54 AM ET

Weird, Megan Kelly wore it in the PAST, yet she was fired, and just up the dial, Joy Behar did as well and was not, wonder what the difference is?

Cancel culture is Mobb mentality that is going too far, and its only going one way, it would be dishonest to suggest it doesn’t, and that’s why its dangerous.  Once you start accepting mobb rule, even if you think the Mobb is right, or the lean is to your side, its hard to reverse course, that’s when it gets weaponized, that’s when its dangerous.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/12/19 at 01:41 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Evileye, as an FYI, 1st point was response to you, 2nd was general statement as I made above, not directed to you.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/12/19 at 01:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I will miss Cherry’s hockey insight. Even at 85, the guy was quite astute about the game. What I won’t miss is his increasing xenophobic blather, which seemed to be infiltrating his segments more and more.

It will be odd not seeing him between the first and second periods anymore. I tuned him in each Saturday night I was home watching hockey for the better part of four decades.

Too bad it had to end like this, but not all that surprising.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/12/19 at 02:44 PM ET