Don Cherry No Longer With Hockey Night In Canada/Rogers

Just breaking, more to come.

added 3:09pm,

added 3:27pm, The video below has now been deleted.

added 3:14pm, Now this is a bit strange, just posted- via Sportsnet's YouTube page,

Don Cherry and Ron McLean gives fans a sneak peek of what to expect from Coach's Corner on Saturdays. Hint: Don Cherry is still the same man he's always been.

They've added another Coach's Corner video on their YouTube page, so you may want to keep an eye on it.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

In more shocking news, the sun rose in the east this morning ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/11/19 at 03:52 PM ET

Holy sh!t. I have to say, I did not expect this.

Five years into their controlling of the NHL broadcasts and Rogers has finally done something positive.

OK, fine, they also kicked Healy and Kypreos to the curb, those were positive moves as well.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/11/19 at 04:28 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Nice timing by Sportsnet. Do it on Rememberance/Veterans Day so their move becomes the focus. In Canada, I guess Nov. 11th will now be changed to Snowflakes Day.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 04:39 PM ET

In Canada, I guess Nov. 11th will now be changed to Snowflakes Day.

Because of racist babies like you who are crying about his firing? That’s a good idea, snowflake.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/11/19 at 04:53 PM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 03:39 PM ET

OK, Boomer.

Posted by RyanVM on 11/11/19 at 04:54 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

About time

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 11/11/19 at 04:56 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

No kidding.

“Rascist babies like you”

“OK, Boomer.”

Not a shred of critical thinking, intellectual honesty, or original thought in their sad, angry little droid minds.

#LiberalismIsAMentalDisorder

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 11/11/19 at 07:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

No kidding.

“Rascist babies like you”

“OK, Boomer.”

#LiberalismIsAMentalDisorder

This is why we can’t have nice things. downer

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/11/19 at 07:33 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Because of racist babies like you who are crying about his firing?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis

Nowhere in what you quoted did I defend Cherry’s comment. I simply criticized Sportnet’s decision to fire him on Rememberance/Veterans Day.

And for the record, probably before you were born, CharDee, I was part of the civil rights movement in the 1960’s. I’ve lived in, and owned houses in, all black neighborhoods. So be very careful about throwing around accusations of racism.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 08:01 PM ET

Anyone who isn’t capable of more than
parroting an ultra-lame catch-phrase (all generations older than mine know nothing
and have never had to face any difficult circumstances, have never had a
the unique, unlearned, unearned total monopoly on truth like kids our age claim to possess) might as well stop reading and spend all their time pushing trinkets with that logo online instead, as has become the cynical fad: make a buck attempting to insult tens of millions of people you’ve never met by lumping them all into one category and presumptively drawing the worst conclusions about them as an entire group.

In other words, you’re doing your own version of what Don Cherry did.

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/11/19 at 08:04 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

*grabs popcorn*

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/11/19 at 08:06 PM ET

Likewise: jumping to smear a fellow commenter as an actual racist
( and a baby) as a first resort, just because they have a different take than you do.

That’s not impressive or persuasive to say the least.

But then I only saw the substance, such as it is, of that comment
second-hand. When virtually all someone ever posts is shallow, knee-jerk
contrarianism compulsively seeking a reaction, it saves so much hassle to
simply ignore their comments.

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/11/19 at 08:10 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Im with lefty.

The name calling just makes the world more and more divisive.

“Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood”

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/11/19 at 08:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Comment away, express your views since this is a topic which needs to be discussed.

But do remember, disparaging comments about another KK member is not allowed.

I assume most of you know that but since this is a passionate subject on both sides, all I ask is you refrain with the negative remarks to KK members.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 08:40 PM ET

For what it’s worth, as much as I’ve never cared for
Don Cherry and his bombastic opinions, it’s sad an
eight-five year old man who has been a huge part of
the culture of a country, including in many deeply heartfelt and
positive ways, has to go out this way.

What he said was obviously wrong.

One simply should not generalize and scapegoat
like he did.

As someone wrote in a previous thread, Cherry and
McLean should have made an impassioned *positive*
case for why honoring Remembrance Day is an essential part of being a Canadian,
whether your family goes back thousands of years or hundreds or only one or two, and regardless of where your family originated from. It should have been more of an invitation reminding people of what they share as Canadians.

For what it’s worth, to me, patriotism and shared national pride used to be so commonplace (even long after Watergate and Vietnam), unifying, and largely uncontroversial. I took liberty and free expression seriously as part of my patriotism to the point I joined the ACLU, because what’s more American than the freedom to dissent, to hold unpopular views, to agree to disagree peacefully.
I still feel that way, but not about the ACLU. They now openly support only one political party and are opposed to free speech if members of some groups don’t like it.

My point is: the other still unresolved issue Cherry was trying to get at, however poorly he did it (and blaming “you people” is very poor indeed) is: what happens to the shared culture and values and sense of community in a country when you increasingly have unassimilated blocs living in the same country who don’t seem to share or respect the same history, values, traditions? Publicly expressing a patriotic gratitude for the people who sacrificed everything on behalf of the country you share should never be mandatory. But the issue that’s getting lost between Cherry blaming people by group and the pat “diversity is our strength” mea culpas issued in its wake, is: what unites a country if a larger and larger proportion of newer residents and citizens don’t seem to know about or care about or understand and opt out of a shared, ceremonial recognition of what ties people together as Canadians? When I was younger, I would have said that stuff is just superficial and it doesn’t mean much to just go along with the herd. But we are social creatures. By and large it’s going to be one herd if not another. If your herd isn’t your country - every fellow citizen regardless of skin color or ethnicity, etc, then what’s it going to be: your herd is humanity - how does that work? It seems to imply you might as well be Belgian or Mongolian as Canadian and the country you call home doesn’t matter. If your herd isn’t your country, or the entire world, then it’s most likely going to be an identity tribe based on skin color, or ethnicity or some other identity that is an immutable characteristic from birth that is inherently exclusionary and cannot be shared with your fellow citizens.

That to me is a dangerous and divisive trend, the more it accelerates.

So for everyone who rightly winces at and rejects Don Cherry’s fingerpointing and divisiveness, also consider the alternative to the loss of shared patriotism he’s mourning: that alternative, if based on attributes other than shared citizenship and shared values, is likely to be divisive and tribal. What some people are missing is that in countries like the US and Canada where citizenship is not based on blood but on an embrace of shared civic values, patriotism is the antidote to racism; it’s the antidote to division.

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/11/19 at 08:54 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

Hi Paul -

I do understand Rogers’ position to a small degree….

but - I am now thankful that I no longer have to find time to switch to Coaches Corner while I am watching another game.  I think the firing is poor timing and not a “death sentence” type of statement.  I disagree with their decision.

I will vote with my feet and not watch anymore - problem solved.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 11/11/19 at 09:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

In the same boat Kas…. I was entertained, disagreed with him at times, but understood he had the right to his opinion.

I will miss the segment but let’s see what happens next.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/11/19 at 09:53 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/11/19 at 07:54 PM ET

Well written, and thank you for not adding to the us vs them arguments. One thing I would add is that patriotism absolutely CANNOT be blind. Love your country but acknowledge and try to fix its flaws. To willfully ignore those flaws and any discussion around them is nothing more than being in a cult.

Regardless of what issue one may personally believe is a flaw, inclusion must always the the approach. To berate and ostracize, your actions and words spit in the face of those ideals we like to flaunt that make our nations so great.

Don chose to be divisive. Don chose to mock and sneer, as he’s done many times before and often in a less veiled manner than this incident. I have zero sympathy for him or the position he put himself in. He has a very popular and public platform, and attitudes spread. What he says becomes normalized and suddenly its ok to exclude people for thinking or being different. It creates a feedback loop and the culture of exclusion persists. It has to stop. We have to be better than that. Hockey does not need an ambassador who will not strive to be better.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/11/19 at 09:54 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 11/11/19 at 07:54 PM ET

If you’re going to continue to communicate with reason, logic and passion, Lefty, you’re going to confuse a lot of people in this day an age. LOL

Social media, and Twitter in particular, seems to have led many to believe that deep and complex ideas (like equality and patriotism) can be summed up in just a few characters.

And when those folks have no rational argument to make, it’s easy to reach into their back pocket and pull out a word like “racism.” And the more often it’s used (and used incorrectly), the less real meaning it has.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain why you feel the way you feel. It’s refreshing.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 10:09 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/11/19 at 08:54 PM ET

Samuel Clemmons (Mark Twain) is credited with saying: “Support your government when it’s right. Support your country always.”

When I received my draft notice in the summer of 1969, I was so adamantly opposed to the Vietnam War that I briefly considered moving to Canada. It was Clemmons’ words that reminded me that I loved my country too much to be forced out of it by a government I didn’t agree with.

In the end, I allowed myself to be drafted as a military conscientious objector. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/11/19 at 10:20 PM ET

Chet's avatar

Agree Cherry has the right to his opinions. He can now scream that dated, racist crap at his bathroom mirror, which is the only audience he deserves in 2019. I acknowledge his charity, outreach, and Canadian patriotism, but his views and statements were divisive garbage far too many times. That doesn’t deserve the platform he had.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/12/19 at 12:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Cherry has the right to his opinion, but not to his airtime.  This isnt the first time hes made comments of this nature, and the firing was long overdue.

I’m sure he’ll find a radio station or start a podcast and continue to spew his nonesense to likeminded individuals.  At least thats how it seems to work here in the States.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 11/12/19 at 12:48 AM ET