Does Roberto Luongo Need To Take More Responsibility?

Kelly Hrudey of HNIC says Luongo should be saying “I need to be better” instead of talking in general terms.

Watch the Luongo post-game interview or scroll to the 6:50 mark and watch Kelly’s reaction to the interview.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kelly+hrudey, roberto+luongo

Comments

Of course he should, but absolutely won’t.

This is the guy who, earlier in the season, he blamed the team’s style of play on his shitty inconsistency.

Posted by Garth on 05/12/10 at 10:48 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I posted something similar in the open thread for last night’s game, but I’ll reiterate here.

Alain Vigneault doesn’t have what it takes to make this team as successful as they should be.  Yes, Luongo needs to take responsibility, but it’s clear he’s not going to do that on his own.  He needs coaching for that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/12/10 at 10:52 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

While I do agree that Luongo is one of the most overpaid players in the NHL, I don’t think this series falls on his shoulders.

The Canucks arrived in Chicago for the first two games of this series and played near-flawless hockey, they should’ve headed home up 2-0 but even at 1-1 I thought they were in good shape.  Enter the second period of game 2, the team basically imploded.  If there was one obvious notion coming into this series, it was that the Canucks special teams play was inferior to the Hawks and nearly every other team still in the playoffs.  They have been average at best all season.

The team went into the same undisciplined cauldron that they got caught up with last year against Chicago.  Virtually the entire fourth game and the second half of game three were a disaster for them.

After playing a brilliant fifth game they saw Salo go down with the broken testical (what is it with nordic defenders getting them against the Blackhakws in the playoffs?).  Edler then goes down early in the first last night and Salo has to pull himself out of the game early in the second.  Bieska makes a terrible gaff in the neutral zone (likely due to his first double shift of the series) and Versteeg scores to put the Hawks up 2-0.  Game over.  The Canucks operated with four defenders the rest of the way, so you have Willie Mitchell (their best stay at home) not playing all of the playoffs, Salo (their best PP QB threat) and Edler (their best all around defender) all out of the game.  This team was gonna lose no matter what.

Hawks fans are congratulating their team this morning as they should, but they need not overlook one of the big reasons they had success in this series.  I will be interested to see how they fair against a healthy and experienced defensive unit in SJ, and a team that has played remarkably disciplined hockey.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/12/10 at 11:01 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Call me bitter all you want, but the Sharks take dives, especially Nabokov.  The only thing separating him from Luongo is that Nabby doesn’t have a reputation as a whiner, so he gets more calls.

I agree that the whole series doesn’t fall on Luongo, but a lot of the Canucks’ implosions centered around him, especially the way the Hawks were crashing the crease.

I really think the Canucks’ lack of true defensive depth hurt them.  I mean, as a team, they have a lot of decent defensemen who would easily be 2nd-pairing on a lot of other teams, but they never seemed to have a clear-cut top pair out there, making it a lot harder to shut down scoring.

Either way, Luongo is the team captain, not the team’s coach.  It’s the coach’s job to tell the media what the whole team did wrong, it’s Luongo’s job to take responsibility for the way the whole team played.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/12/10 at 11:20 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Easier written in hindsight, but I was surprised that Vigneault didn’t dress seven defencemen given Salo’s condition. It’s an elimination game and you’re probably going to use a shortened bench, especially on the forward side to get your best players a lot of ice time (as it turned out, the Sedins weren’t overworked), sacrificing a forward for a precautionary defencemen wouldn’t seem like a terrible idea. Perhaps they didn’t trust any of the remaining healthy defencemen to play a few minutes in an important game.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/12/10 at 11:25 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the Sedins were playing injured. They looked lifeless last night.

I look forward to the sharts falling like sniper victims everytime a blackhawk skates within a foot of them. It helped them beat Detroit, and the wings are more disciplined than little brother. Chicago will be on the PK for all 5 or 6 games in the series.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/12/10 at 12:48 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas

Well phrased.

I can imagine Babbles saying something like, “Real Simple, we weren’t good enough. No one was, including the coaches.”

Hrudy is right. The weird thing is Luongo doesn’t even look distraught. If you see Kesler’s interview, he looks like he’s about to burst into tears, says he doesn’t want to talk about any injury because he doesn’t want to make excuses and that he had a bad series. I know who I’d make the captain of my team.

Did you see Byufuglin’s goal last night? Luongo looked like a Junior B goaltender, completely lost and out of position.

Posted by Moq from Denmark

Agreed. Coaches have done that before especially because you know your forward bench is going to be shortened in a game like this.

Posted by Osrt on 05/12/10 at 01:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Osrt on 05/12/10 at 12:13 PM ET

I think you hit it OSRT, I don’t know that Luongo is a very driven goalie.  I don’t know that he’s driven to win, to the point of it making him batty.  As much as I hated Patrick Roy, he had an insatiable appetite for winning.  Brodeur has that as well (or at least used to).

I don’t think Luongo wanted it badly enough.  I don’t know that he ever will, either.

Posted by Primis on 05/12/10 at 01:47 PM ET