Does sorry make everything better for Duncan Keith?

Los Angeles Kings forward Jeff Carter received some stitches and dental work thanks to a high stick from Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith, but Keith inisted to USA Today's Kevin Allen that his handwork doesn't deserve supplemental discipline...Because it was an accident:

"It's retaliation with a stick," he said. "It's not a high stick. Whatever they want to call it, they'll call it. Don't even need video."

Keith seemed more concerned about Carter than he did about the penalty.

"It was accidental," Keith said. "Obviously I wanted to give him a tap but not where I got him. I felt bad. I'm glad to see that he came back. It was just a scuffle."

Whether the league will consider Keith's apology and penalty good enough -- or whether it dishes out more punishment -- remains to be seen.

"I have no idea," he said when asked if he thinks he will be suspended. "I said it was an accident."

Update: ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reports that the hit's under review by the NHL's department of player safety, and Kings coach Darryl Sutter saw the slash-to-the-face differently:

Kings head coach Darryl Sutter felt the four-minute penalty wasn’t enough, hinting that a match penalty would have been more appropriate.

“I didn't think it was a four-minute penalty. Thought it was a wrong call,” Sutter said.

“Retaliation,” he added. "That's three head injuries now in the playoffs for us. I don't know how to answer it. It's retaliation with a stick. It's not a high stick. Whatever they want to call it, they'll call it. Don't even need video.”

Those comments were echoed by Kings captain Dustin Brown.

“Not a normal high-stick I don’t think,” Brown said. “I asked the ref. He only had one hand on his stick, but it’s one of those things where it’s not a four-minute (penalty) in the course of a play where you lift a stick or get a stick up on a guy. Probably Keith was a little frustrated and swung his stick and hit Carts in the face.”

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Lucce's avatar

He was swinging a stick after a player in the Pacific division, no reason to be sorry.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 06/05/13 at 06:20 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Not a game has gone by where they haven’t had at least one blatantly dirty play, yet they are the first to bitch about officaiting to the media.  But I guess when you get no fines or suspensions, why would you stop?

Posted by Hootinani on 06/05/13 at 07:01 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Only if Carter got a match for slashing down on an open hand. Can’t have it both ways there Darryl. How about the press have some cajones to ask Carter about why he slashed Keith’s open hand? My guess, no supplemental discipline.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/05/13 at 07:10 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

No excuse for any stick to the head. I don’t give a crap about a slash to the hand. A head shot with a stick is bullcrap and should be dealt with.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/05/13 at 07:18 AM ET

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/05/13 at 08:18 AM ET

Exactly.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 06/05/13 at 07:45 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/05/13 at 08:18 AM ET

Really? How many players have we seen had their seasons ruined because someone got their hand slashed, whether they lost time or were less effective? I can say a heck of a lot more then sticks to the head.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/05/13 at 07:53 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

“I said it was an accident.”

So sorry means you don’t need to be in control of your stick?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/05/13 at 08:01 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 06/05/13 at 08:01 AM ET

This.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/13 at 08:04 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Keith is pretty regular with the hack/whack cheap shot crap, and apparently also aware of when he needs to show contrition.  If he had done it in the corner he probably would have just skated away.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/05/13 at 08:13 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

A slash to the hand, which everyone agrees happens in every game be it regular season or playoffs, does not nor will never equate to a ‘slash’ to the head.

Keith is a dirty fuching goon and should ride pine for a couple of games.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/05/13 at 10:00 AM ET

gusoline's avatar

From my viewing of the TSN video, Carter slashed an (empty) glove as Keith went to pick it up.  Didn’t look to me like he hit Keith’s hand at all.

Posted by gusoline on 06/05/13 at 10:01 AM ET

Paul's avatar

LeBrun tweets...

It sounds like there will be an NHL hearing for Duncan Keith later today…. waiting to find out more, stay tuned

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/05/13 at 10:11 AM ET

awould's avatar

Keith should be considered a repeat offender given his propensity for throwing vicious elbows. Unfortunately, he was only suspended once for this type of behavior as the blatant elbow to the face of Salei wasn’t even a minor penalty.

That said, I don’t think it was an intentional stick to the face. But it was intentional and it did end up to the face and 4 minutes was the minimum penalty in my opinion.

More punishment? I don’t know. I hope so, if only to hear Chicago fans whine for days. My good friend who is a Blackhawks fan couldn’t understand why I thought Keith was a dirty player. The blinders on their fans are large. I imagine they’ll wonder why Keith got a penalty at all when he only grazed Carter’s leg, accidentally even, after Carter tried to take off his hand with a hacksaw and assaulted his wife.

Posted by awould on 06/05/13 at 10:31 AM ET

The NHL is trying desperately to have a Hawks/Pens finals so excuse Bettman if he has better things to worry about like blatant attempts to injure Kings players.  Duncan Keith said he was sorry, can we move on get to having a Hawks/pens final please?  Suspending players or calling a consistent game is going to ruin the plan.

Posted by bababooey on 06/05/13 at 11:24 AM ET

If Keith doesn’t get at least one game, I’ll be…...not the least bit surprised.  NHL Supplementary Discipline is a joke and excels only and wildy and unabashedly inconsistent rulings.

I am surprised though, reading other message boards’ responses to the play.  I’m floored by the number of people (not just Hawk fans by the way) that think either:

1. Keith isn’t a remotely dirty player
2. The penalty call on the ice was too much since Carter didn’t get at least 2 minutes
3. If Keith gets suspended, so should Carter for his “brutal” slash of Keith’s wrist

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 06/05/13 at 11:47 AM ET

If you watch the video at MOST Carter slashes the glove as Keith tries to pick it up.  A bit bush league but I think he’d be ok when his empty glove gets slashed.

I think he means he accidentially injured him, but honestly I doubt anyone in today’s NHL hits thinking “I’m going to put this guy in the infirmary”.  They want to beat up players and make them play worse yes, but rarely want to injure.  He had pure intent to high stick/slash in the head.  These kinds of things happen when you do that.

Posted by neffernin on 06/05/13 at 03:28 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

How can Keith even pretend it was an accident?  He was coming from behind, which means he saw exactly what he was doing.  He puts his stick mouth level and whacked him in the teeth.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  An accident would be turning around quickly and having you stick clip the guy.  You don’t come up from behind a guy with your stick blade 5 and a half feet off the ice and hit a guy in the mouth on accident.  Throw the book at him.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 06/05/13 at 05:05 PM ET