Does Eric Lindros Belong In The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

from Chris Lund of The Score,

In a few days, the latest class of NHL Hall of Fame inductees will take their place in the Great Hall at the corner of Yonge and Front St. in Toronto. Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin all deserve to take their place amongst legends after careers that spanned at least two decades apiece while amassing many accolades along the way.

The 1990s were a golden time for prolific talents. Many stars from the decade prior were still running out their string in impressive fashion while a new wave took the game over — imprinting a legacy and serving as a catalyst for the infinite number of changes we’ve had in the game since. Yet, for an era in perpetual flux, one player, in my mind at least, simultaneously imprinted his mark as the most feared player of the era and the most dismaying cautionary tale and I firmly believe he deserves a place in that Hall sooner rather than later.

For his dominance and the excitement it brought, Eric Lindros should be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+lindros

Comments

If he buys a ticket, sure.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/05/12 at 05:53 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Hell no Lindros doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. He’s a spoiled brat and a whiner and should NOT be included with Hockey’s elite.

It goes back to before he even played one NHL game.  He pissed & moaned and refused to play for the Quebec Nordique and forced them to trade him. I’m sure his father had a lot to do with that but, as the saying goes, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

And then in Game 1 of the Cup finals against Detroit, like a whiney bitch, he stomped his skate on the ice in protest over a penalty call, and Detroit went on to kick their royal asses.

I’m sure there are many more examples of his poor attitude & behavior over his career but those are the two that stick out in my mind.

Forget his numbers ... his piss poor attitude, big mouth, and lack of good leadership skills should be enough to keep him out.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/05/12 at 06:00 PM ET

Replace Quebec Nordique with Soo Greyhounds and you’ll find that he did it at the OHL level too.

F*ck Lindros.

Posted by Garth on 11/05/12 at 07:01 PM ET

I love Lindros.  He brought my Greyhounds the Memorial Cup and my Wings their first Stanley Cup in the modern era.  Haha!

Posted by loojay on 11/05/12 at 08:05 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

When it comes to the HHOF, I always lean more towards peak then longevity.  I don’t expect Lindros to get in any time soon, but he’s better than Glenn Anderson, Mats Sundin and Dino Ciccarelli.  Say what you want about his holdouts or the involvement of his parents in his career, but for several years in the 90’s he was, by far, the most dominant player in the league.  I’d put him in the HHOF.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 11/05/12 at 09:53 PM ET

Posted by timbits on 11/05/12 at 10:03 PM ET

Absolutely.  He was the dominant player in the league for several years.  Unfortunately his career was derailed by concussions and a 1940’s mentality regarding them.

Stevens cheap shot ended his career.  But in a poetic turnabout a concussion took out cheap shot Stevens too.

People went to games specifically to see him.  That’s a HOF er.

Posted by 13 user names on 11/05/12 at 10:44 PM ET

Unfortunately his career was derailed by his inability to do something even babies can do, keep his head up.

Fixed.

Posted by Garth on 11/05/12 at 11:50 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 11/05/12 at 08:53 PM ET

Hahahahahaha….. Thanks. I needed that this morning.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 11/06/12 at 09:32 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

The LEEEEGGIONNNN OF DOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Sure, I’d put him in; if Pavel Bure got in, I’d give the same reasons to put in Lindross.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 11/06/12 at 09:55 AM ET

I’ve struggled with this one, but I now lean towards Eric LIndros being a Hockey Hall-of-Famer.

Putting aside personal feelings, which should not factor into any rational discussion about this topic, my criteria is always is; was he a Top Five player at his position for half-a-decade?

If you follow that criteria, then Lindros gets in.  And so does Bure, who finally will this month.

And that’s where I have problems with putting Chris Osgood in, though his numbers are very, very impressive.  So I’m forced to throw out my own criteria, and look at the goaltender’s overall performance, accomplishments.

Still thinking about it (though I think yes).

Posted by Mick Kern on 11/06/12 at 10:21 AM ET

I h8t8d Lindros and for that very reason I think he is Hall worthy. I don’t hate opposing players that don’t have an impact. His prodcution at his peak was off the charts. However, I can see how his inability to keep his head up may be a major deficiency in his game that would be a valid argument against his induction. Was he a douche, probably, but he worked for Bobby Clarke so that’s two sides to the same coin.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/06/12 at 10:32 AM ET

creasemonkey's avatar

If Lindros gets in, Osgood gets in.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 11/06/12 at 10:40 AM ET

If Lindros gets in then Forsberg gets in!

Posted by timbits on 11/06/12 at 11:13 AM ET

Osgood and Lindros are in no way comparable.  A better comparison would be Osgood and Mark Recchi.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 11/06/12 at 12:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sure, you can put Lindros’ picture in the Scott Stevens exhibit.

Or maybe you could mention him as noticeably missing from the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/06/12 at 01:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Mark Recchi was a better hockey player then Lindros.

Therefore…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 11/06/12 at 01:47 PM ET

The kicker for me is if there is this much debate over a player gaining entry to a Hall of Fame, that should raise red flags that the player isn’t Hall worthy.  Having said that, this is the Hockey Hall of Fame and there have been several players recently that have been inducted that were real head-scratchers.

Posted by dash_pinched on 11/06/12 at 01:59 PM ET